JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WA DNR FIRE CREW SNUFF OUT A SMOKING STUMP.

On Saturday, July 14, 2018, a 90 degree day, a DNR Fire crew responded to a report from a target shooter of smoke rising from a stump in the Yacolt Burn State Forest. The stump was being used as a backstop for target shooting. DNR Fire quickly responded and extinguished the smoldering embers before it ignited into flames.

DNR Fire Crew 1.jpg

Target shooting can and does start fires under certain conditions. Never use stumps, down logs, and trees as they are prime with dry tinder and can easily start a wildfire.

This particular stump has thousands of rounds inside, as it has been used as a backstop for years. Many of the rounds are of steel and copper core. The wood has been mulched down into soft fine shavings of fire starting tinder. As bullets collide with each other, you get sparks inside the stump that begin to smolder.

DNR Fire Crew 3.jpg

When steel and copper core bullets strike a hard surface, steel/rock/other bullets, a tremendous amount of friction is generated. Friction is heat. Super heated fragments, very tiny in size, fly off in various directions. They can land in dry tinder and smolder for quite some time. The heat associated with the bullet or bullet fragments can and has, as we witnessed today, created fire in stumps and logs.

DNR Fire Crew 2.jpg

Work in the field, such as flush cutting stumps and logs, have shown where the wood, in the stump, has been charred around the bullet or bullet fragment. You may be long gone when a fire actually ignites.

The shooter had noticed smoke rising from the stump and promptly notified fire officials. The shooter had also dug out part of the smoldering area of the stump to allow water to penetrate the burning area more quickly.

This is a reminder of the importance to ALWAYS TAKE FIRE PREVENTION GEAR with you at all times when shooting. (It's a requirement in the fire season, but responsible shooters pack it year round). And never use trees, logs or stumps as backstops! You need a 2 1/2 to 5 pound fire extinguisher, 1-2 gallons of water and a shovel, as minimum gear.

Fire at the target not forest.jpg

On hot days, it's best to shoot early in the morning or not shoot at all that day. Avoid using steel targets on hot days. Use lead bullets rather than copper or steel core types.

Being responsible is easy and it's an important part of preserving our privilege to shoot on public lands. If we destroy it, we loose it. Kind of simple. Do it right and Trash No Land!

DNR Fire Crew 5.jpg

More info on fire prevention in target shooting at: Fire Safety in Target Shooting

Kudos to the target shooter and the DNR crew!
When I read the post title, I thought at first, "oh a smoking stump, cool!". Like maybe it was a stump I could sit down and have a cigar on. Well, you know me...
Glad it turned out well. Was the DNR crew able to eradicate the stump to any degree?

This is a great educational piece. It shows the importance of needing water, a shovel, and a fire extinguisher present when shooting.

Any of the above could have easily assisted and or sniffed out the possibility of fire in a breeze.

Kudos to the target shooter and the DNR crew!
When I read the post title, I thought at first, "oh a smoking stump, cool!". Like maybe it was a stump I could sit down and have a cigar on. Well, you know me...
Glad it turned out well. Was the DNR crew able to eradicate the stump to any degree?
Yes, the got it out immediately. Opened it up more and soaked it with water.

I'm not sure if the person who reported it was the one doing the shooting, or if they just came by and saw the smoke as they set up to shoot. DNR just said a shooter reported it and dug out some of the area.

Ha! I was thinking of you and @The Nothing when I crafted the title! I almost called it "Smoking a Stump". On Twitter, I called it "No Smoking Stumps".

Great advice! I'd add that the equipment in the pic is crucial to carry in these conditions. Be aware though that in some areas the folding shovel will not meet the minimum requirements. I know a couple years back, it was specifically mentioned that a full length shovel and 5gallons of water had to be with you if in the woods. Be careful and stay alert :)

Be aware though that in some areas the folding shovel will not meet the minimum requirements. I know a couple years back, it was specifically mentioned that a full length shovel and 5gallons of water had to be with you if in the woods. Be careful and stay alert :)
I searched all over and find lots of information that says a shovel but haven't found the specification for the handle length or blade size. I did find one but it was for a construction contractor in the woods. I wish they make it more clear or easier to find the info.

Also, if you leave the fire extinguisher in the car, as well as the shovel, you won't forget them. They will just be a part of your vehicles emergency kit. Besides having a BC rated extinguisher in your car wouldn't hurt anyways.

FWIW - generally copper and many copper alloys are non-sparking metals.

BUT a LOT of the foreign made cheap blasting ammo has steel cores or even steel jackets, even if they look like soft point ammo with a copper jacket - the jacket may only have a copper plating on it to make it look like it is copper, and/or it may have a steel core.

Use a magnet to make sure as you cannot trust that ammo - they often cheap out and cheat on the projectiles - you can't go by reviews either unless it is the same exact type of ammo and the same lot number. Use a magnet.

That said, once it gets really dry, I try to be careful in the woods with regards to fire danger. There has been a water truck sitting near my back lot because:
1zpm7it.jpg http://i68.tinypic.com/1zpm7it.jpg

While it is true that steel core can spark, that's likely not what happened here.

Many do not realize when a bullet of any material hits wood, the friction alone can cause it to smolder inside.

Stumps are the worst. As they deteriorate into fine mulch. In these very hot days that mulch gets very dry and becomes quite the tinderbox.

This is the information that needs to be more readily explained to everyone. So two things take place. 1, shooters don't use improper backstops. 2, which is kind of the more important if the two, we stop getting blamed for forest fires.

@Moderators can we get the title switch to Fire Hazards on Public Lands - Go Prepared.

Or something like that?

@Cogs got a better title.

Also can it be sticky'd? This is important stuff!

@Moderators can we get the title switch to Fire Hazards on Public Lands - Go Prepared.

Or something like that?

@Cogs got a better title.

Also can it be sticky'd? This is important stuff!
I don't know, changing the title may not get much attention. Most stories that start with Fire Hazards, or something similar, may be overlooked because they sound the same as all the other warnings. This title seemed to get attention. :)

I can tell you from first hand experience just how dangerous shooting can be for starting a fire! A few years ago, I was doing some praire dog busting in my lower fields, with a . And a .243, I didn't even know it was there, but there was a piece of old steal fence sticking out of the ground about a foot, I got it with the .22 from about 70 feet. And with in seconds I had a pretty good grass fire going! I grabbed up my stuff and ran for the dozer and got the wife to fire up the water truck and bring it Down! In less then 10 min time I had a full blown fire that burned about an acre before I managed to get it put out! The part that really surprised me was that a copper jacketed lead bullet could set off a spark and light off a fire! Normally my fields are not that dry, but we were going through dam renovations and expansion, so I wasn't irigating nearly as much, so the conditions were ripe for a fire!
Another time, I set a pretty good brush fire from the muzzle blast/flash from a .30/06 prone, that one I got out quick with a shovel, but it also showed how quick you can get a fire going in hot and dry conditions!

I don't know, changing the title may not get much attention. Most stories that start with Fire Hazards, or something similar, may be overlooked because they sound the same as all the other warnings. This title seemed to get attention. :)
See, y'all got me to look at it because I thought it said "A Smoking Trump", thought the Prez picked up a bad habit in his travels this past week :oops:

I can tell you from first hand experience just how dangerous shooting can be for starting a fire! A few years ago, I was doing some praire dog busting in my lower fields, with a . And a .243, I didn't even know it was there, but there was a piece of old steal fence sticking out of the ground about a foot, I got it with the .22 from about 70 feet. And with in seconds I had a pretty good grass fire going! I grabbed up my stuff and ran for the dozer and got the wife to fire up the water truck and bring it Down! In less then 10 min time I had a full blown fire that burned about an acre before I managed to get it put out! The part that really surprised me was that a copper jacketed lead bullet could set off a spark and light off a fire! Normally my fields are not that dry, but we were going through dam renovations and expansion, so I wasn't irigating nearly as much, so the conditions were ripe for a fire!
Another time, I set a pretty good brush fire from the muzzle blast/flash from a .30/06 prone, that one I got out quick with a shovel, but it also showed how quick you can get a fire going in hot and dry conditions!

This is why I only shoot at my little pit in the summer instead of public land up in the woods. Just my way of preventing forest fires.
Iffin I do run across a fire I am ready cuz I drink a lot of sweet tea and that fits Smokeys approval ....:D:D:D:cool:
c15.jpg

Last Edited:
The Oregonians take would no doubt be:

White Supremacist, attempt to burn down forest using assault weapons.
Kate Brown was consulted and said if we save just one stump, we must do it for the children.
She will be enacting next Friday as official save the Stump day.

EDITED" it was reported Kate Brown had banners made for this event that were put out state wide.
But to her shock they didn't say safe the stump day. they Said "Support Trump Day" !
Kate was reportedly told to turn in her liberal ID card and Unicorn by the end of the business day Monday. o_O:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top