Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fire, Explosions and fun.. and a valuable technique

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by KalamaMark, Nov 14, 2014.

1. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Most of you are probably aware of the technique of using starting fluid to seat a tire on a rim.... but I posted this up here for those who are not.

This is a good nugget of knowledge to have when SHTF and there's not a tire guy or tire machine around...

2. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea to have a CO2 extinguisher handy, I'm thinking.

CoastRange57, Sgt Nambu and 2506 like this.
  3. KalamaMark

You'd be thinking right.

4. johnny bob

johnny bob Auburn wa Member

Keep those fingers away from the bead. Ive used a long shank bbq lighter and it crushed the end of it. I was doing a stiff mobile home tire at the time.

5. KalamaMark

I used this technique for several occasions before adopting the 'sprayed to a safe distance fuse' method.

I like it much better now... but it's much less dangerous/exciting/adrenaline rush. :)

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Never had to use that technique.

I was always able to get the tire to seat with just plain air.

Not saying it isn't something you can do as a last resort, but only as that because of the danger.

I remember when I was young and worked in a mobile home factory. They had a cage where they mounted the tires to the wheels for transport of the finished homes. Several times a week there would be a huge KABOOM! when a tire exploded while being seated to the rim. They used an odd size too in order to keep people from stealing the tires to mount on their cars and trucks.

7. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Makes these guys seem brilliant.

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I meant to ask on your YouTube channel but forgot. Did you take out the Schrader valve core before you lit that, or do you leave it in?

9. KalamaMark

Took it out. You can hear it whistle as it sucks air back in as it cools behind the music.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Ah-ha... I thought that noise was ya'lls pucker factor normalizing after the tire popped! ;)

11. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I've done this a few times... it's certainly envigorating, and the noises made are rather disturbing. One time we did this, and it blew all the wheel weights off that flew about 20' up in the air and then landed on us.

The ratchet-strap air compressor method is certainly superior, can be done on the car (wheel lifted) and doesn't blow the WW's off (this imbalances the tire, so you traded one problem for another).

What I did was start carrying an old paintball CO2 cylinder (I think it's a 20oz) and using that as an emergency compressor/fire extinguisher. If you do this, be sure to get a regulator so it's not pushing out 1200PSI.

12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Also, after watching the video... you shouldn't do this indoors. Ever burned a tire? Talk about unpleasant.