JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most of you are probably aware of the technique of using starting fluid to seat a tire on a rim.... but I posted this up here for those who are not.

This is a good nugget of knowledge to have when SHTF and there's not a tire guy or tire machine around...

I used this technique for several occasions before adopting the 'sprayed to a safe distance fuse' method.

I like it much better now... but it's much less dangerous/exciting/adrenaline rush. :)

Never had to use that technique.

I was always able to get the tire to seat with just plain air.

Not saying it isn't something you can do as a last resort, but only as that because of the danger.

I remember when I was young and worked in a mobile home factory. They had a cage where they mounted the tires to the wheels for transport of the finished homes. Several times a week there would be a huge KABOOM! when a tire exploded while being seated to the rim. They used an odd size too in order to keep people from stealing the tires to mount on their cars and trucks.

I've done this a few times... it's certainly envigorating, and the noises made are rather disturbing. One time we did this, and it blew all the wheel weights off that flew about 20' up in the air and then landed on us.

The ratchet-strap air compressor method is certainly superior, can be done on the car (wheel lifted) and doesn't blow the WW's off (this imbalances the tire, so you traded one problem for another).

What I did was start carrying an old paintball CO2 cylinder (I think it's a 20oz) and using that as an emergency compressor/fire extinguisher. If you do this, be sure to get a regulator so it's not pushing out 1200PSI.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top