JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who keeps records and for how long?

With the massive databases that have accumulated, I understand if convicted criminals are forced into the system for a long, long time. What about law-abiding civilians going in for employment background checks or firearm purchases?

How long must we be kept on record? Personally, I don't like the idea. Think about this, because I don't mean class 3, just regular fingerprinting for either a job or perhaps purchasing a firearm.

When I was finger printed no finger prints showed up. I had worn them all off from working. Only a ring of prints showed at the very edge. The lady said it was fine and everything went through.

Who keeps records and for how long?

With the massive databases that have accumulated, I understand if convicted criminals are forced into the system for a long, long time. What about law-abiding civilians going in for employment background checks or firearm purchases?

How long must we be kept on record? Personally, I don't like the idea. Think about this, because I don't mean class 3, just regular fingerprinting for either a job or perhaps purchasing a firearm.

Speaking of that, does anyone know how long records of hand gun sales are kept?

My theory is the government throws out nothing, even if they're supposed to. Whats a few bits of memory in some Iron Mountain warehouse somewhere gonna cost them? Not enough to stop them from storing every piece on info they get.

A Washington based FFL Dealer just told me about the handgun purchase forms... HE has to keep one copy in his files for twenty years. Copy two goes to the sheriff's department of the county of residence of the purchaser, to be kept a LONG time. Copy three goes to the state Department of Licensing to be filed away... probably forever. In regards the Washington State DOL, they are maneouvering to get a whole new set of "responsibilities" if this ammunition serialising nonsense gets foisted upon us, as it will be a new division of the DOL responsible for keeping those records. Bottom line, SOMEONE in the State of Washington will have a permanent record with details of every handgun purchased in this state, as well as every box of ammunition if that bit passes. They are working on closing down the "gun show loophole", as has Oregon, and it is only a matter of time until some wonks get together and manage to pass similar registration requirements for long guns. As of now I am told that Washington do not maintain records of long gun purchases, but this info may be in error. I know that, in Oregon, since it is the State government actually doing ALL firearms permits, they DO keep the records.... how long? I haven't learned that one, but I can only imagine it will be for a LONG time. After all, no government agency does anything without that thing becoming more complex and long-lived than originally imagined. And, they'll never run short of the funds to maintain and protect those data..... nor to analyse and derive data from them at will. They'll always find just one more source for the needed revenue.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top