JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have this older single shot shotgun.
It is not marked as to maker , gauge or chamber length.

It is marked :
"Nitro Hunter" on the left hand side of the receiver...
"Belknap Hardware & MFG. CO. on the right side of the receiver...
"Reinforced Breech" and "Choke Bored" on the barrel near the breech...
And the # 7 on the lower receiver tang.

It is not a damascus barrel.

Found from looking at books and the internet...
I think it may be a version of the Hopkins and Allen 3612 single shot shotgun .
Which was made from 1915 - 1930 depending on what source you use.
I also know that it is in 12 gauge.

In any event....
I do not have a chamber length measurement device....is there any way to measure the chamber length without one...?

Also....
If it measures out to 2 3/4 all I will shoot from it is light field and target loads....as they are still cheap and fairly easy to find.
I have found some online sources for 2 and 2 1/2 inch shells as well as the Aquila "mini shells" ,
they make a 7 1/2 bird shot load...
I am hoping that this gun will make for a vintage grouse gun.

Thanks for any help here.
Andy

Serious note, a clean empty hull and some sharpie marker marked all over the front, should scrape enough to show the chamber length when inserted.

Or a stick or cleaning rod ran down the inside of the bore till you feel it move inward, or against the chamber wall.

Also, don't discount the mini shells as low pressure, if that's the goal of their use?

They operate close to the same pressure as regular loads, they just don't hold the same amount of shot.

@Andy54Hawken I might have some 3" shells in one my of stashes, if I find them I could send you a shell to try. :)
Well I thank you for the offer...but with the gun in question....I have no desire to shoot or use a 3 inch 12 gauge shell outta of it...:eek: :D

Seriously though....with the age of the gun...I kinda doubt that it is a 3 inch gun.
Andy

I just meant so you could see if it chambers the shell, not actually shoot it. :D

I have an old SXS from the 40's and it's 2 3/4" only.

I just meant so you could see if it chambers the shell, not actually shoot it. :D

I have an old SXS from the 40's and it's 2 3/4" only.
Ah...thanks...:D
I have tried a 2 3/4 shell and it fits...it is possible that my gun is a 2 3/4 chamber...but many older guns are 2 1/2 or shorter.

Sounds like you have a neat older side by side....
Andy

Hmm...that is not what I have read...and yes that it is my goal.
Andy
Tried finding the page on their website, aguilas, that stated they were loaded to sami spec for 2 3/4" loads. It's not there anymore, or at least I can't find it. I'm not sure about federals minis. Both brands have similar FPS ratings which mimic their 2 3/4" loads but with smaller payloads.

I'm sure if you feel comfortable shooting regular low brass loads that these will be similar.

Ah...thanks...:D
I have tried a 2 3/4 shell and it fits...it is possible that my gun is a 2 3/4 chamber...but many older guns are 2 1/2 or shorter.

Sounds like you have a neat older side by side....
Andy

It's a Springfield Stevens SXS that my dad got from my grandpa on his 12th birthday. He had the barrels cut down to a coach gun about 15 years ago. Then he gave it to me and I had @Velzey refinish the whole thing! :cool:

Tried finding the page on their website, aguilas, that stated they were loaded to sami spec for 2 3/4" loads. It's not there anymore, or at least I can't find it. I'm not sure about federals minis. Both brands have similar FPS ratings which mimic their 2 3/4" loads but with smaller payloads.

I'm sure if you feel comfortable shooting regular low brass loads that these will be similar.

My goal is to use this gun as a grouse gun....if I can't use Aquila....then Gamebore and RST both make 2 and 2 1/2 shells loaded to a lower pressure for vintage guns....I can find them online and they ain't too expensive...

But if it is safe to do so...I'd rather use 2 3/4 shells as they are easier to find locally.
Andy

My goal is to use this gun as a grouse gun....if I can't use Aquila....then Gamebore and RST both make 2 and 2 1/2 shells loaded to a lower pressure for vintage guns....I can find them online and they ain't too expensive...

But if it is safe to do so...I'd rather use 2 3/4 shells as they are easier to find locally.
Andy
Totally understand. I've got an ancient single shot that needs similar treatment. I just hand load for it to ensure I don't blow it up using factory loads. I'm actually uncertain to what it can and can not take, as far as pressures go. I'd rather be more cautious than needed as it is an antique.

A loaded shell that fits, cannot be concluded that is the chamber size. I'm told there must be room for the crimped or folded plastic to unfold so as to not restrict or compress the load exiting. That could be an additional 3/8 of an inch for a 12 ga.
I was shooting an old single shot 12 that I assumed was 2 3/4 as the shell fit comfortably, but it turned out to be chambered for 2 1/2 inch. No damage was done, but was told if a slug had been used, or weaker metals, things may have gone differently. Having a choke at the end of the barrel is way different than having it at the shell where increased chamber pressure may occur from the restriction.

Howdy Andy,
Early Winchester Model 12's in 16 guage were 2-9/16 chamber. (I had one). It would fire 2-3/4 shells fine, but ejection was an occasional issue. Paper hulled ammo "Canuck" from our northern neighbor solved that. The 2.75 modern shells would show after firing some "taper" in the opened crimp (where the hull mouth encountered the short chamber).

Having said that (and since you have an old 12 guage) the advice here to blacken the front of an open hull and check for contact is good. I'd also experiment with a thin wire rod (bike spoke) as a "feeler guage" from the breech.

If it were me, and wanting to go the easy route, I'd fire a low-base field/target load in it (2.75"). I bet it comes out peachy.

Since you are "Mr. Authentic", why not just order some 2.5" brass hulls (Cowboy action stuff) and roll your own and be done with it?
(I have one original specimen here, brass hulled 00Buck Winchester. It measures 2.5".)

A lot of blackpowder era shotguns would have the gauge, length and barrel constriction stamped under the foregrip. Have you removed it and looked for stampings?

Yes I have....and only found a 5 digit number stamped on the inside of the forearm....guessing its a serial number...but who really knows...?

In any event , no stamping of any kind found on the receiver or barrel , other than what I noted in my OP.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads