JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, did the O.P find a doggie yet?
Ok, here's my take.
Any of the Retrievers will be AWESOME! We have had both Labs and Golden's, while the labs are sturdier, they can also be real blockheads. Nothing a bit of training won't fix though. Golden's will have lots of energy, and need more physical attention, both are pretty far up there. We're I to choose again gotta stick with the Golden's awesome temperament, great with kids and other pets and super easy to train, they also make great watch dogs if trained! All Retrievers shed, LOTS, so, what color you want to sweep/vacuum? LOL

NOW, For the more advanced owner, a Newfie can be a great choice, think of them like a Retriever only way smarter, more adaptable, easier to train, and very loyal! They are also one of the best breeds for very young children very Very protective, and make amazing security dogs! Down sides, they are YUMONGOUS, they drool all over everything, are messy eaters, and they shed endlessly, but, once you get past that, they are simply amazing dogs once you go Newfie, you won't want any other breed!

PXL_20220601_011351727.jpg

So, did the O.P find a doggie yet?
Ok, here's my take.
Any of the Retrievers will be AWESOME! We have had both Labs and Golden's, while the labs are sturdier, they can also be real blockheads. Nothing a bit of training won't fix though. Golden's will have lots of energy, and need more physical attention, both are pretty far up there. We're I to choose again gotta stick with the Golden's awesome temperament, great with kids and other pets and super easy to train, they also make great watch dogs if trained! All Retrievers shed, LOTS, so, what color you want to sweep/vacuum? LOL

NOW, For the more advanced owner, a Newfie can be a great choice, think of them like a Retriever only way smarter, more adaptable, easier to train, and very loyal! They are also one of the best breeds for very young children very Very protective, and make amazing security dogs! Down sides, they are YUMONGOUS, they drool all over everything, are messy eaters, and they shed endlessly, but, once you get past that, they are simply amazing dogs once you go Newfie, you won't want any other breed!

View attachment 1231427
What is that in the background? Looks like an aluminum block with a dual overhead cam.

This one is getting waaay off topic, but I am hoping there may be some people on this forum who may be to provide some direction. I have only ever owned one dog of my own in my life. He was a yellow lab and that was almost 30 years ago. The folks had a lhasso apso during my teen years, but I am not sure that really qualifies as a dog. I love other peoples dog, even borrow one on occasion to take on hikes, but never was in a position to bring home. This is not a decision or commitment that I take lightly. Due to some of what we have struggled with recently, we made the decision that a dog would make a good addition to our family, especially for our children. Kind of a therapy pet of sorts, but not in a "have a kid to save a marriage" kind of way. What we are seeking is something under 25 pounds and have short hair. I would like to find a dog that can keep up with me in the woods, covering 3-4 miles 2 or 3 days a week. We have a fenced yard so he/she/them would have room to roam, but it would spend time inside as well. I guess a "medium" energy dog with a non aggressive temperment would be a good description. I've always liked jack russells, but I know they can be rather enthusiastic. I am not sure is that is a training or breed issue. I am looking into beagles, their nose being a consideration for shed hunting. It does not have to be a pure bred. I would also much rather find one through an animal shelter rather than a breeder or puppy mill. No matter what we bring home, the dog will be put through training and we will have the kids involved with that as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog that might fit the criteria listed above? Any tips or advice for new dog people?
We were looking for a dog in that size range recently also. I've always had bird dogs, lab, Chesapeake, English setter. We narrowed it down to 3: welsh springer (kind like a smaller red and white English springer), a mini Australian shepherd (not the toy- aussie mix which are tiny), and border collie. We went with a smaller female border collie. She's an adult now and 25 lb. most border collies are bigger than that but females are often around 30 lb.

Incredibly smart dog. They anticipate what u are going to do and are always looking at you for the next clue. Training is stupid easy. My setter took forever to get "heel" correct but the border collie looks at you when she is walking for feedback and self corrects. She has actually learned three tricks like "high 5" simply by watching what the cat (who took 6 months to learn 1 trick) does to earn treats. You can train them to do whatever you want, even hunting as I understand it. They do look for mental stimulation if they are bored. They are "tuned in"/observant to what is going on around them. Being so smart though they know if you are leaving the room and will be right back or if you are leaving and will be gone a while. So if they are going to do something bad like chew something they will do it when they know they won't get caught.

Here is some info on intelligence of that breed FYI.

They come in long or short haired version. They shed twice a year all at once (within about a weeks time or so). Note: I suggest using "furminator" brush on any breed to get rid of hair, works amazingly well. Ours is long hair but I trim her to be more like short haired version.

Re personality they are super friendly and mentally "tuned in" dogs. Ready to play always and ready to do whatever the next "job" is. Endurance wise they are breed to herd sheep all day so should be no issues there. Energy level is medium if they have exercise and medium-high if no exercise. Our 25 lb one.

3E1514B6-D4C1-4C28-8E4D-38AA7D044163.jpeg

Need a body guard? Cane Corso, just one look and badguys know..."DO NOT FCVK WITH THAT DOG!!!" (or anyone/thing under its protection)

View attachment 1232053View attachment 1232054View attachment 1232055View attachment 1232058View attachment 1232056
My friends neighbor has 2 of these dogs. One time my toy poodle got loose and ran towards the big dogs house, at the same time, the neighbor and dogs came out also and when my dog saw them, she literally pee'd/sh!t and crying all the way back to us. Not gonna lie but I almost she it my pants also lolol.

Our dog is from the Vancouver Humane Society. We've had her 6 years although the vet says not much longer.
She was an older Gail and she picked us. Part Black Lab, part Border Collie. Best dog we've ever had.

DSCN0085M.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads