JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Details here.

Good question; I don't know. I'm not seeing the aforementioned rifle offered in said on Ruger's site, so it might be a moot point.

Man that is sexy. I should have known it was the scout. I thought so but wasn't sure.

One thing to double check. I heard of problems mounting suppresors on the .308 scout due to the front sight causing it to be canted. Might be worth researching on this thing since you mentioned using it with a can.

OK ... so I just ordered one of the Ruger Scouts in said cartridge. I would image it would be here sometime soon. I will need to acquire some fodder for said in the coming days.

But it is a "new" cartridge, at least comparatively. Consciously or not I've stayed away from them over the years. Heck, I think the rifle round we stock that is the newest in terms of development is the 5.56x45㎜ NATO.

Any thoughts on the .450 Bushmaster? How well has it been accepted by the shooting public?

Thanks!

P.S. It has cross my mind to just acquire an AR upper in said to try. Naaaah ... not my cup of tea.

5.56 is my youngest cartridge, but once upon a time I had 40S&W, 10mm and 7mm-08 and I do see a 6.5CM in my future.

The AR cross over is a big factor for me, I choose the .458 SOCOM because...

One of the disadvantages (or benefit, you be the judge) was the decision to use .452 projectiles instead of the .458 as used in the .45-70. That limited bullet choice to only a very small amount of rifle rated bullets but a slew of pistol ones. There have been some new additions since the popularity increased, though. Headspace on the case mouth was also considered a small disadvantage.

^^^...of this.

I'm a fan of .45-70 fan and I use 44 mag over 45 Colt for my handguns so it makes sense to me to stick with the same projectile.

Doesn't 458 SOCOM use that goofy .378 rebated rim?

All three use rebated rims, the .50 Beowulf is more pronounced due to it's larger case diameter and smaller rim dia., .473 rim on the .450 Bushmaster & .458 SOCOM and a .447 rim on the .50 Beowulf, .378 is used on .223/556.

Interestingly, both the 458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf share the same parent case, .50 AE

.450 Bushmaster - .458 SOCOM - .50 Beowulf

450 Bushmaster vs 458 SOCOM vs 50 Beowulf: Battle Of The Big Bore ...

450 Bushmaster vs 458 SOCOM vs 50 Beowulf: Battle Of The Big Bore AR Cartridges | Big Game Hunting Blog

The .450 Bushmaster probably makes the most practical sense if you consider it's adoption SAAMI and several major ammo manufacturers. Also if a weapon outside the AR family is desire as in the case of the OP.

For me I still lean toward the 458 much for the below reasons...

Reloading is also relatively popular among those who enjoy shooting the .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, and .50 Beowulf. Fortunately, all three cartridges shoot bullets in use by other, relatively well established cartridges.
The .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W all use .452″ bullets like the Bushmaster while the .50 AE and .500 S&W use .500″ bullets like the Beowulf. However, the .458 SOCOM has a big advantage in this category since it uses the .458″ bullets like the .45-70 Government, .450 Marlin, .458 Win Mag, .458 Lott, and .460 Weatherby. Heck, it even shares the same bullet diameter as the old .
450 Nitro Express.

and

Do you want to hunt larger game animals like elk, moose, or brown bear? Once again, all of these cartridges will work at short range, but I'd personally lean towards the .458 SOCOM here because Barnes produces their 300gr TTSX bullet specifically for that cartridge. That's an outstanding bullet and can be counted on to get the job done if you place your shot correctly.

Last Edited:
I had a 308. Great rifle in general, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm not too interested in the cartridge myself, but I keep looking at the same rifle in 350 legend. Some reason that cartridge intrigues me more than I know why.

I'll be following this as per usual. I do enjoy your threads.

68E94684-079B-4876-B8D7-052F10B28D13.jpeg

Midway has a Bushmaster Hunting Carbine 450 Bushmaster 16" Barrel 5-Round A2 Black on sale for $896.99. I might have to think about one of those. You can get magazines up to 10 rounds now that are dependable.
1589592361395.png

I built an AR in .450 Bushmaster as a camping/hiking carbine. Love it! Fortunately, I reload and cast my own bullets. I had a rifle in .45-70 Govt. and a couple of pistols in .45 Colt, so was tempted by both .458 SOCOM and .450 Bushmaster. Was always able to find Hornady FTX .452 250gr bullets at the local Walmart, so went with Bushmaster.

For my first couple of boxes of rounds, I went to the LGS and asked if they had any .450 Bushmaster. Never heard of it. Nearest store that sells it is 50 miles away in Idaho. So I just load all my own. Still haven't experimented with cast boolits in it, yet. You need gas checks, and I've never messed with those in my few years of newbie reloading.

I have been running the 450 Bushmaster in a Ruger American now for a few years and absolutely love it. Have tried a number of different rounds through it and found the Hornady FTX 250gr works great and like others have said the terminal results on this rifle are absolutely devastating. Have enjoyed the rifle so much it is not my dedicated hunting setup. As much as I wanted to ditch the tupperware stock on it and try something else, I have learned my lesson on messing with something that flat works.

Right now I am running a Holosun 503g ACSS red dot on it which works great for keeping the weight down and shots inside 100y, but have been experimenting with running a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x on it and even looked at the Crossfire II 1-4x V-Brite setup. For ammo I have resorted to the Hornady FTX's for plinking or dispatching coyotes quickly. For hunting I have been using the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 245gr with incredible results. I haven't found a better round on it so far, but have been working with a friend on some 325gr rounds too. At the end of the day it has become one of my favorite rounds and is a bang-flop round for me especially on wild boars. I don't think you will go wrong on this rifle in any way.

Don't know how it shoots just yet. On my list today was to go to the city, work out at the now (thankfully) reopened gym, pickup food supplies at Freds, and some .450 ammo (and sling swivels) at the Sportsmans next to the aforementioned fitness facility. Then we had a primary server go down in a spectacular way at work, so got backed up and too busy to go to city. Hopefully tomorrow I can pickup some fodder for this and can shoot it up a bit on the home range in coming days.

One neat-o thing about this one is the length of the stock is easily changed. I showed the rifle to my wife and she found it interesting as the stock can be tailored for the shooter.

Before I forget; does anyone know about the magazine compatibility on these? I think I find them on Ruger's site. Pricey, but I'd like at least one or two extras, just because. That said, if there are others that will work, why not look at those options. The one on the manufacturer's site indicated the magazines for the .308 Winchester / 7.62㎜ NATO scout rifles is the same for these .450 Bushmaster variants, for whatever that is worth.

From what I recall, Ruger used the same mag for all of them and just put in inserts for the smaller calibers.

I have a nice Hensley &Gibbs mound 4 or 6 cavity can't remember gas checked throws 307 gr with wheel weight. It would need a sizer die. It would make it thump, nice rifle.
Really nice rifle.

Whilst researching this rifle, I came across a LNIB, blued steel with traditional stock, Ruger No. 1 "Tropical" model in .416 Remington Magnum. The BuyItNow price was well within reasonable.

Alas, even in my wackier moments, there was no way I could justify acquiring said. It is a beautifully made hunting rifle though. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top