JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I came across a rifle in said by accident in my travels, but now keep gravitating back to said. The data on this cartridge is impressive, it will work with a silencer I have in the works, and it comes in a rifle I find very interesting:

639321-d0b0581da05d014a6b895f26f79b30f3.jpg
But it is a "new" cartridge, at least comparatively. Consciously or not I've stayed away from them over the years. Heck, I think the rifle round we stock that is the newest in terms of development is the 5.56x45㎜ NATO.

Any thoughts on the .450 Bushmaster? How well has it been accepted by the shooting public?

Thanks!

P.S. It has cross my mind to just acquire an AR upper in said to try. Naaaah ... not my cup of tea.

You my friend are most dangerous to my wallet! I have been eye ballin that very rifle for a while now, especially in that cambering! I do know the cartridge is a powerhouse, and because it's parent cartridge is so easy to come by cheap, it makes perfect sense when one can reload him/her self! There is plenty of load data out there on it, and it uses well known powders and components, so I see no reason NOT to!
Only fellers I know with practical shooting experience are @etrain16 and @Tully Mars, but I would trust what they had to say ether way it goes!

You my friend are most dangerous to my wallet!

(teehee) Always glad to help. :D

More seriously, agreed, the cartridge is a powerhouse. But not so much so that I can't run it with a can in place.

I'm cautious because, candidly, other than ballistic data and related online, I don't know much about it.

That round was being eclipsed and on its way out by .458 Socom and .50 Beowulf until hunting regulations in some states opened up to allow straight walled cartridges. Now it really took off IMHO. Hence, the .350 Legend was also born.

One of the disadvantages (or benefit, you be the judge) was the decision to use .452 projectiles instead of the .458 as used in the .45-70. That limited bullet choice to only a very small amount of rifle rated bullets but a slew of pistol ones. There have been some new additions since the popularity increased, though. Headspace on the case mouth was also considered a small disadvantage.

I had the Ruger American Ranch in that rifle and I used to to dispatch large animals at various rescues and sanctuaries in the area.

In the previously mentioned platform, the recoil was laughable (I am not recoil sensitive) and the terminal effect was instantaneous.

It replaced my Marlin Guide Gun in that aspect.

Custom Molds would cure any woes loading this would present! I have been seriously considering adding this to my stable of go getters, and with the abilities to mold my own bullets, AND, to be able to do so in the field on the fly like I can with the .45/70, this may be a game changer of sorts where speed isn't as important as shot placement!

I have also read swaging of .458 bullets down to .452 is possible, but I don't know anything about that process.

Those were my reasons for going with a .458 Socom when I wanted a big bore AR, anyway. I know, you're looking at a bolt gun. :)

I have also read swaging of .458 bullets down to .452 is possible, but I don't know anything about that process.

Those were my reasons for going with a .458 Socom when I wanted a big bore AR, anyway. I know, you're looking at a bolt gun. :)
Swedging cast bullets is easy, especially as the difference is so slight, but for plated/jacketed, not so much!

Ruger Scout M-77! A real slick handling little thumper carbine! :D
You know you want it!
But, before you pull the trigger, you might also have a look see at the Hawkeye Guide too, might change you man! :s0155:

I don't know if they make the rifle I have my eye in said caliber, but pros/cons of .450 Bushmaster vs. .458 SOCOM? (As alluded to, I don't really follow new cartridge development that closely any more.)

450 bushmaster ammo at bi-mart for under $30 a Box.
458 socom, not so much.
you have to reload 458 socom or buy specialty made ammo for really big bucks. 450 bushmaster ammo can be found or ordered. If you want to talk practical ballistics, no reports of 450 bushmaster bouncing off elk. Deer, or bear. And, great accuracy out to 250 yds...reported.
thats why I built an upper, and it was not expensive either.

They both use .473" rim size, and have the same COL. Main difference is where the round headspaces (case rim vs shoulder)and the availability of projectiles. The .450 is standardized with the 250gr @ 2200 FPS, while the .458 is 300gr and above ( about 1850 FPS for the 300gr.) .450 has a little more FPS and energy than the .458, but the heavier .458 projectiles make up for that with deeper overall penetration due to their higher mass. It's really a wash. They both reportedly work fine in magazines that hold them, but that isn't a concern for bolt guns. Also, I don't know of any .458 bolt guns available.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top