JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I'm watching a John Wick marathon, I'm thinking the best investment is one of his bullet proof suits. Neither 9mm or 45 ACP had any appreciable impact AND you can look really good either at the bank, club, job, or playing gray man.

Golly, there's only 6.8 Million job openings:eek:
True, its not as many as there were but 6.8 million is still an awful lot of available positions
That would tell me there's work out there for anyone who wants a job.

Golly, there's only 6.8 Million job openings:eek:
True, its not as many as there were but 6.8 million is still an awful lot of available positions
That would tell me there's work out there for anyone who wants a job.

The point is that the 'growth' is slowing down. CEOs and CFOs are seeing it and preparing for it.

My 'client', I am a contractor but I have been working for them for going on 10 years now, (one of the largest and oldest corps in the world) announced they are laying off 10K people worldwide - about 1K in the USA were laid off before that announcement. Not a large percentage - less than 1% of their total staff - but they say they see a slowdown in our industry and less demand for our products over the next year or two.

I don't know about whether there will be a recession - I hope not - but the slowing of growth can be a precursor to one. We should be prepared - I am as much as possible.

Economics of all sorts are understandably cyclical.

The sky isn't falling, but saying so makes pessimists feel good...

During my life of 45+ years, I've been thru those cycles many times. It doesn't make me feel good to say we might have a recession - I more or less dread it even though I am prepared for it - I would rather use my funds to retire and spend time on a beach in Tahiti than be stuck in the Pacific Northwet working during the wet winters because I have to help out my kids by loaning them $ to make their mortgage payments.

Let's just say I am cynical.

OTOH - watching my investments make more money than I do at my day job lifts my spirits - but I know what goes up eventually comes down and looking at the patterns of the stock market, it is when it goes up exponentially like it has, that it is often setting us up for a big drop.

TH,

Yes the economy balances with time, but ya gotta hang in there...

Oh yes, and I have. I am not going to cash out. But my plan was to retire this fall, and now I am not so sure I can do that. Last year I got hit hard with taxes, medical/dental bills, I overspent on guns (having the SIGness doesn't help), had to deal with $10K of car repair bills and so on.

This year I am maxing out my 401K such that it will be full by the fall, which means my take home pay is lower yet. Daughter needs yet another car because their second one is worn out, so I am pulling cash from my Roth IRA to loan them the cash for that.

Then there is the threat of layoffs at work.

It is just an inconvenient time for me. I can weather it, but I will probably have to change my retirement plans - probably have to work into next year if I still have a job.

TH,

Sorry to hear of such a litany of troubles haunting you, that's got to be very depressing.

No wonder I see you sounding somewhat (if not a lot) of being bummed out.

TH,

Sorry to hear of such a litany of troubles haunting you, that's got to be very depressing.

No wonder I see you sounding somewhat (if not a lot) of being bummed out.

I've been thru a lot worse - this is nothing compared to living in a shack, wife is pregnant and just being fired from my min wage job with no savings and having to move in with the parents.

Just would like to retire and take it easy now. And I could, but I am not going to let my daughter down when she most needs the help, so working a few more months or a year is something I am prepared to do.

You've got to roll with the punches and remember that there are a LOT of people out there who have it much much worse - as in literally starving, no shelter and literally getting shot at and/or bombed.

The good news is that maybe if Bernie gets elected, then free everything for everyone. Then i can retire at 40. I just need to grab a Bern sticker so I don't end up in the gulag with the rest of you schmucks.

The point is that the 'growth' is slowing down. CEOs and CFOs are seeing it and preparing for it.

My 'client', I am a contractor but I have been working for them for going on 10 years now, (one of the largest and oldest corps in the world) announced they are laying off 10K people worldwide - about 1K in the USA were laid off before that announcement. Not a large percentage - less than 1% of their total staff - but they say they see a slowdown in our industry and less demand for our products over the next year or two.

I don't know about whether there will be a recession - I hope not - but the slowing of growth can be a precursor to one. We should be prepared - I am as much as possible.
I understand your point, but slowing from 100mph to 97mph is negligible at least at this time.
If it starts getting into the 80's, it may be time to worry
Growth slowing down and accelerating are cyclical. Layoffs have always occurred even in the best of times and are often used as a way of getting rid of dead wood. That said, I speculate a recession is inevitable and being ready for one is always prudent.
If you can say here, what products does your company make?

Just would like to retire and take it easy now. And I could, but I am not going to let my daughter down when she most needs the help, so working a few more months or a year is something I am prepared to do.

Selflessness seems in short supply these days. That you choose to defer your wants in favor of your daughter's needs is commendable and inspiring, good show!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top