JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great sarcasm as the 9!mm predates the 45 by a few years. The 22lr dates to 1884. (I really, really hope it's sarcasm and not just plain old ignorance)

I should have been clearer in my attempt at humor. I'm an amateur cartridge collector (30+ years) and a history buff. I'm quite familiar with the origins of the rounds in question. I have early examples of each.

I forget sometimes just how little the average American knows about history, and it seems to be getting worse. I saw a poll a while back about it, and a large percentage of people didn't know what decade WWI was fought, or what century the American Revolution was, or the history behind the causes of either.

Then there are the willfully ignorant, like the guy here on this very board recently who tried to tell me that Hitler was trying to cleanse Europe from a disease, the Holocaust was a myth, and America was the bad guy in WWII. Nothing you can do for that kind of person. :(

unemployment rates? Government numbers only count those drawing benefits, not those ineligible, or those who have exhausted their benefits.The real number is always a point or two higher, as extensions ceased to be offered I would think closer to two points higher.
The unemployment rate is not based on the number of people receiving UI benefits. It is calculated from data collected each month in the Current Population Survey. The CPS is a telephone survey which samples 60,000 households nationwide. For more information on who is included and who is not and how the rate is calculated, see:

The unemployment rate is not based on the number of people receiving UI benefits. It is calculated from data collected each month in the Current Population Survey. The CPS is a telephone survey which samples 60,000 households nationwide. For more information on who is included and who is not and how the rate is calculated, see:

Try hiring people these days. The only people not working are the real stupid and the real lazy. Everyone else has a job . Out of the last 20 interviews I had scheduled for $25 an hour jobs 15 were no shows. This is what full employment looks like.

It's already happening in the classifieds, guys and girls.

8978511D-61EC-4926-9827-1F8AA928CBEE.png

They charge merchants 3 1/2% for the rights to card servicing so even if they pay you 2% they still make money for doing pretty much nothing since the infrastructure is set up already.

And merchants set prices with the expectations of getting card purchases so if you pay with cash and don't get the cash back, or a discount for paying cash, you're getting double screwed.

In theory, if we all paid in cash the prices of all goods would be less the surcharge rate, but the cat's out of the bag, and if a company doesnt already give you a discount for paying cash, they would likely keep the price the same and enjoy the extra profit even if we did switch to all cash.

If people are really worried about the country's financial situation, best thing to do would be to eliminate any debt, starting with credit card (high interest)

As for the 9mm vs .45 debate. I've considered this.

Capacity vs energy transfer to target. Let's compare only full size Glocks.

G21 in .45 has capacity of 13+1
G17 in 9mm has 17+1

Total difference of 4 rounds in handgun.

Just for fun let's throw 10mm into mix.
G20 has 15+1
2 more than .45, 2 less than 9mm

Let's look at some other information. Large mammals are generally tougher than humans, and you can legally hunt large mammals with a 10mm. Can't legally with a 9mm...

When we factor in energy transferred to target, if we can agree more is better, that would lend itself away from 9mm, but is the "more" significant enough that it makes a difference in a situation?

Here's the logic I like to consider, if a person had enough prowess, strength, and control to shoot a 12 gauge slug pistol that held 14 rounds as casually as they do a .22 lr pistol, would they still prefer a smaller 9mm pistol? It's a farfetched example, but the point being that, people often choose the 9mm because it is more manageable to them. It's a very important consideration. If we were discussing swords, some people are stronger and can wield a longer and heavier sword with the same nimbleness as someone else who due to size and strength must use a smaller and lighter one.

This is all to say that: Even IF .45 put a person down more effectively, the only thing that counts are hits, not misses, and for some people, the recoil of .45 is unmanageable, but they can adequately handle 9mm which has also shown to be also effective , even if it transfers less energy into the target than the .45.

Paul Harrell compared 10mm to .45, It was a good video to watch.

I prefer the cost of .22 lr, the capacity of the 9mm and the energy transfer of the 10mm. I'm a conflicted soul.

Last Edited:
I made the Big Leap Forward in 1992. In a single evening I literally cut up all my credit cards. My immediate relative available income jumped over 25%. And my purchase of trivial crap dropped by 100%.

Try hiring people these days. The only people not working are the real stupid and the real lazy. Everyone else has a job . Out of the last 20 interviews I had scheduled for $25 an hour jobs 15 were no shows. This is what full employment looks like.

Damn straight. In an era of 3.5% unemployment (the lowest in literally a half-century, the last time being 1969) and the longest bull market run in human history, if one isn't working, it is largely on said individual.

And merchants set prices with the expectations of getting card purchases so if you pay with cash and don't get the cash back, or a discount for paying cash, you're getting double screwed.

In theory, if we all paid in cash the prices of all goods would be less the surcharge rate, but the cat's out of the bag, and if a company doesnt already give you a discount for paying cash, they would likely keep the price the same and enjoy the extra profit even if we did switch to all cash.

If people are really worried about the country's financial situation, best thing to do would be to eliminate any debt, starting with credit card (high interest)

As for the 9mm vs .45 debate. I've considered this.

Capacity vs energy transfer to target. Let's compare only full size Glocks.

G21 in .45 has capacity of 13+1
G17 in 9mm has 17+1

Total difference of 4 rounds in handgun.

Just for fun let's throw 10mm into mix.
G20 has 15+1
2 more than .45, 2 less than 9mm

Let's look at some other information. Large mammals are generally tougher than humans, and you can legally hunt large mammals with a 10mm. Can't legally with a 9mm...

When we factor in energy transferred to target, if we can agree more is better, that would lend itself away from 9mm, but is the "more" significant enough that it makes a difference in a situation?

Here's the logic I like to consider, if a person had enough prowess, strength, and control to shoot a 12 gauge slug pistol that held 14 rounds as casually as they do a .22 lr pistol, would they still prefer a smaller 9mm pistol? It's a farfetched example, but the point being that, people often choose the 9mm because it is more manageable to them. It's a very important consideration. If we were discussing swords, some people are stronger and can wield a longer and heavier sword with the same nimbleness as someone else who due to size and strength must use a smaller and lighter one.

This is all to say that: Even IF .45 put a person down more effectively, the only thing that counts are hits, not misses, and for some people, the recoil of .45 is unmanageable, but they can adequately handle 9mm which has also shown to be also effective , even if it transfers less energy into the target than the .45.

Paul Harrell compared 10mm to .45, It was a good video to watch.

I prefer the cost of .22 lr, the capacity of the 9mm and the energy transfer of the 10mm. I'm a conflicted soul.
FANTASTIC post!
10mm for me thanks.

We are very close to being in the same boat; started programming with punch cards and Fortran back in 1977.

My "last" big delivery is an Android app for a long time customer. I've been blessed, but I see a road ahead job-wise that favors the young ones. My plans is wrap it up in 2020 and learn a new trade, like baiting hooks, walking dogs and joining the Elks if they'll have me :)
in 76. It was Fortran, Cobol, and an IBM 360/30 for me. Oh Yea. punch cards.......

I have $100,000 worth of credit card. Balance = 0. Creditors HATE me!

Me too, not as much of a revolving line, but I switch between 2% and 5% back on my purchases depending on merchant. For example if I spend 10,000 a year, I get back between $200 and $500 back from using the credit cards (citi 2% card on everything and US bank Cash + card in 2 categories I choose, I have two of those same cards so it's actually 4 categories of 5% cash back) One of those 5% categories is "sporting good stores," which just so happens to include midway, brownells, powdervalleyinc, etc.

I used to work for US bank, and although I acknowledge lending is an important part of our society, I encourage people to avoid "stupid" debt as much as possible.

When the hell did this happen? Note to self, stay current. Telephone surveys sound like a grossly inaccurate way of collecting data. If I receive a call at home during the day, odds are I am not working. I receive a call in the evening, I am likely to tell the caller to eff off. Given the sample size compared to population I wouldn't consider it very accurate. Actually surveys can be skewed by selecting locales, times of calls, precise wording of questions. It is a very manipulative process.

Likely at home "tied up" involved in some carnal activity with a close family member. After all it is sout cakalaky, y'all!:s0112:

$25 an hour, does the governor even make that much?:s0112:

how do you circumsize someone from South Carolina? Kick his sister in the chin.:s0112:

God I love the South, so much material to work with.

Last Edited:
I should have been clearer in my attempt at humor. I'm an amateur cartridge collector (30+ years) and a history buff. I'm quite familiar with the origins of the rounds in question. I have early examples of each.

I forget sometimes just how little the average American knows about history, and it seems to be getting worse. I saw a poll a while back about it, and a large percentage of people didn't know what decade WWI was fought, or what century the American Revolution was, or the history behind the causes of either.

Then there are the willfully ignorant, like the guy here on this very board recently who tried to tell me that Hitler was trying to cleanse Europe from a disease, the Holocaust was a myth, and America was the bad guy in WWII. Nothing you can do for that kind of person. :(

I hope I didn't offend.
yes, the willfully ignorant are especially annoying. They actually have a sort of pride in their ignorance.

so sad that they vote too. The problem with a government of the people, for the people, and by the people is just that, the people.

Likely at home "tied up" involved in some carnal activity with a close family member. After all it is sout cakalaky, y'all!:s0112:

$25 an hour, does the governor even make that much?:s0112:

how do you circumsize someone from South Carolina? Kick his sister in the chin.:s0112:

God I love the South, so much material to work with.

Been to Oregon lately?

I have $100,000 worth of credit card. Balance = 0. Creditors HATE me!

Even though I primarily use a 2% cash back card, I've a got several others I break out once or twice a year just so they don't close the accounts, now those guys really hate me :)

Things is once I exit the workforce, it'd be next to impossible to open a credit card account when I answer the Job?: question "None".

I dont owe a dime on any of them but I checked my report this morning and I'm up to $140K in available . A couple at $25K-$30K. Some as low at $3K. I dont see much of any reason to close any of them . I'm surprised they dont close them for lack of use.

They keep bumping up my balance thinking I will be tempted to make some huge purchase that I can't pay off. I am sure it is an algorithm and not a person. I do have some large charges; $10K dental bills, $2K car repairs, that kind of stuff, but I pay if off every month. I get free use of the $ for a month and get a rebate.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top