JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the M1A is a fine rifle and would love to have one myself. I'm sure it'd work well in a variety of SHTF situations.

I'm curious why you chose wood over their synthetic stocks? The wood stocks certainly look better, but it seems like synthetics might be more durable & lighter. (maybe not?) Looks like they're more affordable, also.

thank you. I understand the want for a big 'ole mean battle rifle, a lot of dudes want one, and they have their advantages. But shooting a semi-auto .308 all day long is neither fun financially, or physically. You might hear the occasional soldier say that the 5.56 is "too small, too light, too weak" blah blah blah, but If i could only have ONE rifle, which realistically, in a combat, or SHTF situation, is what you will be limited to, i choose 5.56 all day long. So much easier to control, ammo is so much lighter, and I promise, it will meet the accuracy and range needs for everyone on this board, no one is shooting past 400-500 yards in a SHTF anyway, if you're smart you are hiding in your cave, or house,
waiting it out.

If you can afford to have a $1,000+ rifle chambered in .308, that meets your specific need, awesome, I won't stop anyone. But if you are going to have one rifle TO RULE THEM ALL (sorry, i had to haha), I would strongly promote something in 5.56.

stay frosty yo

This is one of the main reasons that I have not built a ar10. For the money it would take to build one, sit in the safe, the cost of ammo, the weight, hard to find parts, ect, ect it just doesn't appeal to me. Your post is pretty much spot on on how I feel also.

You missed most of my post but that is ok, it does not effect me. The very first thing I said is YOU need to decide YOUR SHTF situation and prepare for it the best YOU can. I dont care what other people think are SHTF, I am not in their situation, I am in mine. If I was to follow what I read from others I would have to pack a mini gun with a million rounds of ammo, not to mention a freight ship full of food, water, medical gear, gold, ect to fight off the ravishing hoards every second of the day in an urban environment. If that is how a person sees things going and they have the funds to do it I say go for it. I never put them down, it is their vision not mine. Nor did I put down your vision. You asked why I gave you a detailed answer, nothing more or less nor did I say I was right or you had to agree.

I never said a single gun was ideal but if based on what I see for SHTF IF I could only have one that is what I would choose and why.

My bubble is not burst I am fine not being the "majority". Your opinions are not going to change my choices. Just incase
you are interested there are a lot of people that think the 10/22 has advantages, 10/22 for SHTF - Google Search

I don't expect my opinions to change your choices. If your happy with defending yourself with a 22 then good luck to you. Mine however does not call for a 22 as I'm sure the op doesn't either.

If you read my original post IMO means "in my opinion".

I think the M1A is a fine rifle and would love to have one myself. I'm sure it'd work well in a variety of SHTF situations.

I'm curious why you chose wood over their synthetic stocks? The wood stocks certainly look better, but it seems like synthetics might be more durable & lighter. (maybe not?) Looks like they're more affordable, also.

It is not just the M1A but all rifles. Wood can swell with heat and especially humidity changes. This can change the point of impact quite a bit. The reason this happens is it can put pressure on different spots on the barrel. This can be reduced by free floating the barrel (which is not possible on an M1A).

Synthetic does not have this problem which is one of the reasons that companies put them on their "all weather" rifles.

For me, ammo availability in SHTF is VERY important. I think anyone would be better off with anything in a NATO preferred caliber. Having a 22lr is great, but there's a reason why militaries around the world do not use it in their battle rifles. My preference is something in a .308 flavor.

While it is apparent that everybodys idea of a shtf is different it centers on the main purpose of protecting ones self
And family. If you are unclear of others peoples meanings of shtf then just do some reading on this forum and you will get a clue.

With that said, I would want to protect myself and family with as little violence as necessary. In the event that that cannot be avoided then Unfortunally my rifle comes out. All it would take is a couple shots from a "real" (that's right, i quoted it) rifle and the situation is gonna change. I would have no need for 7700 rounds in a 50 cal ammo can.

As far as stopping power, It is asnine to think that someone would use a 22 to shoot 300-400 yards out for the mater of protecting ones self. And if someone had too (I have no idea why) why would you choose a 22? As stated, there are other weapons out there to do a better job at that. Also, if someone is charging at you do you really think a 22 is going to stop them? Shot placement is everything but let's face it, a bigger caliber is going to do more damage. More damage = less threat. Hence, stopping power.

Yes, accuracy does fall off rather quickly with a 22. I choose 22 for cheap plinkering and im sure the majority of other people do also. With a 10/22 going for around $200 do you really thing people are buying it for 300-400 yard accuracy? No, its not designed for that. As far as my screen name, thank you for your concern about my reading and shooting. I
know my guns limits and my ammos limits. Don't agree with it? Fine. That's YOUR opinion.

Maybe you should start a thread about what people would choose for a shtf gun. Oh wait, he have a bunch of those and the majority are NOT 22s. Hate to burst your bubble.....

Brother,put the coffee down. HOO SAAA (rubs earlobes)

I believe NWcid believes a 22 is more versatile and would do good at collecting food. And if necessary,someone comes too close and he happens to be holding the 22,it could do the job.As you may have seen,he does have large caliber rifles also.

YOU are the one who came up with the accuracy and stopping power BS.He just was showing you were in fact wrong about that.

I never read where he said it would be his only rifle and zombie killer.Maybe I missed that.

Did you calm down yet?

Brother,put the coffee down. HOO SAAA (rubs earlobes)

I believe NWcid believes a 22 is more versatile and would do good at collecting food. And if necessary,someone comes too close and he happens to be holding the 22,it could do the job.As you may have seen,he does have large caliber rifles also.

YOU are the one who came up with the accuracy and stopping power BS.He just was showing you were in fact wrong about that.

I never read where he said it would be his only rifle and zombie killer.Maybe I missed that.

Did you calm down yet?

Tell me something, when you feel a threat (someone outside, animals on your back porch, ect, ect,) what the fist gun you grab? I'm betting it not a 22.......

Do 22s have a purpose? Sure. But you don't buy a 22 for defense. If you reread the op that what he was wanting a rifle for.

Of course I feel better....... It's veterans day!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top