JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given this rifle by my dad in about 1981 for my 13th birthday. It's a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts. My dad at the time owned a chain of sporting goods stores, was a writer for Field & Stream, and a prolific big game hunter with multiple African safaris and Grand Slams to his name. He knows rifles. I used this rifle to take my first deer, then my first Pronghorn, then my first elk.

It originally had a Leupold 6x glossy scope on it. I last used this rifle in 1991 to take a nice 4-point buck 18 miles from here. I loaned the scope out to my brother who has since lost it. I was going to buy an old glossy scope to mount on it, but the value of those has increased and I had a NIB Nikon 3x9 laying around so I finally gave in and mounted it. Hopefully going to go out to my dad's range and sight it in this week.

I remember when he gave it to me, he pointed out the logo on the buttstock, saying that it was going to be a collector's item due to Winchester getting sold or something or other. I have no idea.

It doesn't look too bad, but a glossy scope would have been better, IMHO.

IMG_20200920_192933579.jpg
IMG_20200920_192947055.jpg

IMG_20200920_193051419.jpg

Shot the rifle today with 2 different loads. The first was a box of reloads from 30 years ago.

Rifle didn't like them at all with a 5" group.

New box of Hornady ammo did better at 2", but not great.

Dad gave me some old bullets and powder to roll my own with.
IMG_20200922_162917977.jpg

What a beautiful rifle and full of memories. Your dad gave you an heirloom beyond just a rifle. I would think that rifle would shoot tighter. Did it shoot better with the other scope? Check scope mounts and all screws. Start with fresh brass and powder. .257 Roberts is a great round. God speed.

I'll say it again: Those M70 Featherweights of that era are probably the prettiest highpower rifles Winchester ever made.
That one is a standout amongst the rest.

Try 43.5grains of IMR4350 behind a Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip. Benchrest primer. (Fed 210 Gold Match is what I prefer.)
Should travel about 2950fps out of your gun. Turned my Remington M722 into a very boringly consistent gun.

Oh: and don't give up your search for a nice glossy scope. That rifle deserves the whole enchilada. "Go first class or stay at home."

How does one "lose" a loaned scope?? (unless maybe at a pawn shop).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top