JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given this rifle by my dad in about 1981 for my 13th birthday. It's a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts. My dad at the time owned a chain of sporting goods stores, was a writer for Field & Stream, and a prolific big game hunter with multiple African safaris and Grand Slams to his name. He knows rifles. I used this rifle to take my first deer, then my first Pronghorn, then my first elk.

It originally had a Leupold 6x glossy scope on it. I last used this rifle in 1991 to take a nice 4-point buck 18 miles from here. I loaned the scope out to my brother who has since lost it. I was going to buy an old glossy scope to mount on it, but the value of those has increased and I had a NIB Nikon 3x9 laying around so I finally gave in and mounted it. Hopefully going to go out to my dad's range and sight it in this week.

I remember when he gave it to me, he pointed out the logo on the buttstock, saying that it was going to be a collector's item due to Winchester getting sold or something or other. I have no idea.

It doesn't look too bad, but a glossy scope would have been better, IMHO.

IMG_20200920_192933579.jpg
IMG_20200920_192947055.jpg

IMG_20200920_193051419.jpg

Shot the rifle today with 2 different loads. The first was a box of reloads from 30 years ago.

Rifle didn't like them at all with a 5" group.

New box of Hornady ammo did better at 2", but not great.

Dad gave me some old bullets and powder to roll my own with.
IMG_20200922_162917977.jpg

What a beautiful rifle and full of memories. Your dad gave you an heirloom beyond just a rifle. I would think that rifle would shoot tighter. Did it shoot better with the other scope? Check scope mounts and all screws. Start with fresh brass and powder. .257 Roberts is a great round. God speed.

I'll say it again: Those M70 Featherweights of that era are probably the prettiest highpower rifles Winchester ever made.
That one is a standout amongst the rest.

Try 43.5grains of IMR4350 behind a Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip. Benchrest primer. (Fed 210 Gold Match is what I prefer.)
Should travel about 2950fps out of your gun. Turned my Remington M722 into a very boringly consistent gun.

Oh: and don't give up your search for a nice glossy scope. That rifle deserves the whole enchilada. "Go first class or stay at home."

How does one "lose" a loaned scope?? (unless maybe at a pawn shop).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top