JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I knew before I even parked that going into the lgs is dangerous. But I walked out with something I've wanted for a long time.

1956 Winchester 94 30-30 IMG_20170831_131646.jpg

Nice rifle Dirty D! I love the 94.

You know that I know that you know how to shoot it, but I have to share this...

I took a couple friends shooting in the coast range several years ago. Both guys knew guns and exhibited crisp range discipline. I had plenty of cheap ammo and told them to live it up.

But one had never shot a lever gun before (Marlin .357 mag) and due to MY failure to warn him, he banged/pinched a finger badly enough between the lever and the sharp new trigger that we needed a couple butterflies to close the wound. I was negligent for not showing him how to cycle rounds quickly and safely with the 1894. Put another way, I learned a humbling lesson with somebody else's blood on my weapon.

Ironically, he was on his way to the beach to play congas with his bar band. OUCH!!! He double-wrapped the hand, dulled the pain with a few sparkling adult beverages and dealt with it.

Last Edited:
Yep you did well - nice thing is you are four years into the factory D & T for a Williams Receiver sight (the two holes on the upper right corner of the left side of the receiver) which give you an option for a very nice peep sight setup. Expecting a range report soon!
frzuG7_XZfSLIlkdGHyKqfEQhSUtsnVZPoM_0WA20c-DP8-02oTfIXDueQtMPSGAE9ZdPMwCFybOkAe7zZ6=w800-h600-no.jpg

Last Edited:
If you put the rifle into a fleece soft case that only unzips halfway, make sure you don't pull off the front sight hood.
They're easy to lose that way.

Be prepared to be addicted to shooting lever guns! Of all the guns I have my Marlin 30-30 is probably my most favorite to shoot and probably the rifle I am most accurate with.

Now you need to watch the old classic western movie Winchester '73, starring Jimmy Stewart
That movie was on TCM a few months back. I got a kick out of the guy who chickened out when injuns attacked him and his lady. Later on he shamefully confessed "I turned yeller!".

That movie was on TCM a few months back.
Yep one of the best and one of my favorites. AND interesting as it was the first movie where an actor got paid a pittance in trade out for a % of the box office take (Stewart) - and it set a new standard for for the movie industry. Also W-73 was credited with being the 'classic' Western that set the standard for most all others (at least until the 70's killed the Westerns - for a while) Also it was the first time Jimmy Stewart played a very dramatic and serious character in a movie. And last but not least Herb Parsons 'The Showman Shooter' stood next to Jimmy in the street and actually shot the coins thrown in the air at the shooting contest.

This is the last lever gun I own. It was my mom's deer rifle, back in the '50s! Old Jack O'Conner used to write that the .25/35 wasn't enough gun for deer. Made me chuckle, my mommy shot a big, Eastern Nevada mule deer every year for ten years, Jack! :D
IMG_0683.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top