JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well Gang, it finally happened today after a 9 months wait. I was able to get the Dillon 650XL on line and actually reloaded a few rounds. 87 good ones but whose counting? :rolleyes: Even after tons of YouTube vids and devouring Dillon instructions I still managed to make a couple of rookie-Dillon mistakes [primer seating] and corrected a couple of Dillon mechanical oops. It was an enlightening and enjoyable experience to finally retreat into my new reloading room and not be concerned about move in chores, yard work and contractors projects. I am loading 45acp [of course] with Winchester 231 with 5.2gr under Berrys Bullets 230 gr plated RN .452dia. Also using Winchester large pistol primers. My brass of choice is my own range brass recycled. Now to get the the range after the same 9 months wait. Best to all.

Congrats for getting some reloading time and putting the 650 through its paces. Good time for sure, its a good critter for the calibers you have on deck.

Don't load to many round w/o testing your loads in the firearms you are making them for. When I first started loading 300BLK I had great test loads via my factory 300blk brass. I then made my own 300blk from my stash of range pickups .223 and 5.56 and case checked the empty freshly made conversion brass, all good. I went full ham and knocked out about 300 rounds loaded W/O testing them with my conversion brass. Only then did I discover not all .223 and 5.56 brass works to make 300blk brass. Out of my 300 loaded only about 20% actually chambered. This is only a 300blk thing as the wall thicknesses varied. I had 200+ to pull! Bla. 30yrs of reloading, I should have known better. Load up 20 rounds hit the range, all good THEN go load 300! All good, been knocking out killer 300blk brass and rounds now.

I envy you.
My presses are still under wraps as I haven't finished unpacking and I just haven't figured where they can go without building a new bech or removing existing shelving in my garage.
Once I figure that out though...
Enjoy your reloading!

Congrats for getting some reloading time and putting the 650 through its paces. Good time for sure, its a good critter for the calibers you have on deck.

Don't load to many round w/o testing your loads in the firearms you are making them for. When I first started loading 300BLK I had great test loads via my factory 300blk brass. I then made my own 300blk from my stash of range pickups .223 and 5.56 and case checked the empty freshly made conversion brass, all good. I went full ham and knocked out about 300 rounds loaded W/O testing them with my conversion brass. Only then did I discover not all .223 and 5.56 brass works to make 300blk brass. Out of my 300 loaded only about 20% actually chambered. This is only a 300blk thing as the wall thicknesses varied. I had 200+ to pull! Bla. 30yrs of reloading, I should have known better. Load up 20 rounds hit the range, all good THEN go load 300! All good, been knocking out killer 300blk brass and rounds now.

I hear ya. I am planning on hitting the range this weekend to shoot these fresh rounds. Been using this combo for several years now so it is familiar to me. I "plunk tested" each of the new ones as a final proofing. They look good to go. Happy you have found your 300blk combo.

I hear ya. I am planning on hitting the range this weekend to shoot these fresh rounds. Been using this combo for several years now so it is familiar to me. I "plunk tested" each of the new ones as a final proofing. They look good to go. Happy you have found your 300blk combo.

Perfect sounds like you have it covered. My bad I was thinking this was your first time reloading. Of course, a known load, repeated is golden. Thee 300blk is a blast to shoot, even more so when the rounds chamber!

....I've heard that might happen <kaff*kaff>.....

Yup always learning.

Owning a Dillon is one of the great reloading experiences known to man (I'm including women and children in that). THE worse is buying a Lee LoadMaster (which is a load of SOMETHING alright) or most any other Lee press. Love Lee dies, primer seaters, lots of other stuff, but the Lee presses are pretty much junk. My 40+ year old RCBS RockChucker is good as new, so all you Lee fans show me a working Lee press that is over 5 years old and used everyday. Waiting.... still waiting.... anyone? Didn't think so.

Lake City brass is all I use. No issues.

Well it was cold raining with lightening and thunder this morning so the Range plans went out the window. Spent the morning doing DIY stuff around the house. To at least get some practice in I used my laser "loads" and dry fired a hand full of pistols. Still want to fire my Dillon reloads before I reload any more of them. I fully appreciate Helocat's story.

Well no bad weather today so the wife and I made our long anticipated trip to the Range. We shot up about 300 rounds of my reloaded 45acps including the 87 rounds created on the Dillon. Very happy to report that all of the Dillon rounds functioned perfectly through both 45s. The wife has her own bought with her own money and she loves that pistol. Accuracy of the rounds was acceptable for range ammo. Neither of us are bulls eye shooters but ringing the steel at 25 yards with consistency was satisfying. Best of all is that now I have more brass to reload! Reloaders know the drill. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top