JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have seen these things on sale for $89-100 for the last few years, and always thought I should try one for the heck of it. Finally saw an add for a good looking batch and decided to go for it. Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 is all I know so far. Sent an extra $10 to have them pick me out one with the best bore and rifling they had. They'll probably just send the next one out of the crate, but it's a $100 rifle, I don't really care.

I have already looked into all the accurizing tricks you can do with these, and can't wait to give it a go. If I screw up, I'll buy another. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

And now that I have started researching it, the 7.62x54r ballistics aren't too shabby. Actually comparable to my favorite caliber (.270 win) out to 300 yards (nosler 150 grain not surplus).

My goal is to get 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I'd like to put an original scope on it, bu those seem to go for $3-400.

This is going to be a fun project gun.

Go rent the movie 'Enemy at the Gates'. I have very expensive guns but still take the cheap mosin our for a spin. Like, right after watching that movie. hehe...
I once bought a Lee Enfield SMLE for $50 that needed missing parts and then spent $65 on Ian Skennertons book on the Lee's.
In my opinion its more about having fun than how much it cost. If SHTF, i would rather have a mosin than a 22 caliber rifle.
A lot of history in those two guns. They are very battle proven.

Love that movie. Thinking of getting an M1 garand, and model 98k too. Get them all shooting as good, or better, than modern rifles. Actually, my hunting rifle is a sporterized 98k with the Eagle over the swaztika, made in 1943. Had the thing bedded, and floated the barrel. Shoots 3/4 inch groups every year sighting it in before the hunt. Just something about having guns with some history behind them.

well after reading and reading about mosin n I thought what a crap gun im not ever buying one but...... honestly after reading this post I am getting exicted and will put in a order for one this week. Peaked my interest (really like enemy of the gates I own it). Will see how it goes thanks for the post :s0155:

Makes me want to kick myself for selling my Mosin sniper w/ original scope and the war trophy papers when it was brought over. I was young and had no money, so I sold the gun so I could make my car payment, insurance, and groceries. Still makes me sick thinking about it...:(

Makes me want to kick myself for selling my Mosin sniper w/ original scope and the war trophy papers when it was brought over. I was young and had no money, so I sold the gun so I could make my car payment, insurance, and groceries. Still makes me sick thinking about it...:(

terrible choice ouch lol im sorry for you that'd be a great safe queen.

So I have seen these things on sale for $89-100 for the last few years, and always thought I should try one for the heck of it. Finally saw an add for a good looking batch and decided to go for it. Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 is all I know so far. Sent an extra $10 to have them pick me out one with the best bore and rifling they had. They'll probably just send the next one out of the crate, but it's a $100 rifle, I don't really care.

I have already looked into all the accurizing tricks you can do with these, and can't wait to give it a go. If I screw up, I'll buy another. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

And now that I have started researching it, the 7.62x54r ballistics aren't too shabby. Actually comparable to my favorite caliber (.270 win) out to 300 yards (nosler 150 grain not surplus).

My goal is to get 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I'd like to put an original scope on it, bu those seem to go for $3-400.

This is going to be a fun project gun.

You'd be money ahead of you just bought a Mosin that has already been made into a reproduction sniper. They are great shooters and an inexpensive alternative to owning a real Mosin sniper. Do a quick search of the rifle WTS ads, there was a fellow from Astoria selling one for around $400 or so. Probably still has it as it hasn't moved for a while, but that's a really good price. If I didn't have two real ones already I would have bought it.

You most likely will not get consistent 1" groups at 100 yds with this rifle unless you handload. There are plenty of tips and tricks on accurizing these rifles without resorting to expensive unalterable mods too...wrapping the barrel, tightening the action screws in the proper order, etc.

Keith

You may get 2 inch groups with a scope and surplus ammo but doubt you will get 1 inch

Challenge accepted! Although I do not plan on using surplus ammo, for groups anyway.

One interesting thing I have found is the different approaches people have taken at this. One group of people swear by corking the entire length of the barrel, top and bottom, which basically changes it to a heavy barrel. I wonder about the affects of the heat over time on that one. Another group tries to float the entire length of the barrel, which is the way I will probably go. Looks like glass bedding these can be kind of a pain, but I will probably give it a shot. The cool thing is I can get experience doing these things on a throw away gun so that I have the confidence to perform improvements on my more prized possesions. It's going to be fun.

The cool thing is I can get experience doing these things on a throw away gun so that I have the confidence to perform improvements on my more prized possesions. It's going to be fun.

For sure. The value of what you will experience and learn along the way should far exceed the $ cost of what you will have put into the project. Plus, you probably won't ruin any of the critical parts anyway. So if the end result isn't to your liking you can just disassemble and start again.

One interesting thing I have found is the different approaches people have taken at this. One group of people swear by corking the entire length of the barrel, top and bottom, which basically changes it to a heavy barrel. I wonder about the affects of the heat over time on that one. Another group tries to float the entire length of the barrel, which is the way I will probably go. Looks like glass bedding these can be kind of a pain, but I will probably give it a shot.

I've got two of the most accurate service Mosins ever made, a Finn M27 and a Finn M28/26. Both have as-issued floated barrels and brass shimming. Darn good shooters, but no Mosin ever made was blessed with the same inherent accuracy as that of a Swiss Schmidt Rubin, an M96 Swedish Mauser, or a plain old Remington 700. My original 1944 Russian PU is capable of 1.25" 5-shot groups at 100 yards on a good day when I'm doing my part, and I'm real happy with that :) . The other two mentioned will do about 2.5" 5-shot groups at that range, but that's with open sights. All of my shooting is usually done prone off of a bag, although occasionally I'll sling up.

Keith

I've had and re-built at least a couple dozen Mosin's. My best was a Finn 91 with the hex reciever and a Tikka barrel that I picked up for $85 and sold after re-build for $450. It was a tack driver once I did my magic on it. I still have a couople of really nice 91/30's and three M-38's. Never liked the M-48' with the side folding bayonet. there are some pretty easy tricks to tuning the trigger and floating the action.

I had a good laugh @ Tri County a few weeks ago....took my M44 along while sighting in some others, brought it out, touched it off...waited for the flames to clear, loaded again, BOOOM--FLASH...giggle to myself...then notice the rest of the line is quiet. EVERYONE else is staring in my direction and finally someone asks " What the heck is that thing!??! "

I had a good chuckle over the attention it drew.

I just finally picked up my first, an M44, from the WAC show this past weekend. Now I just need to pick up a can of ammo and put this thing through it's paces. I can't wait!

Love my M44! Fireballs are great and good for your health!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332908814.716827.jpg

Look up jmecks scope mounts! And every so often you can find scope mounts origional style re produced and reproduction scopes on ebay for like 300ish. Jmecks scope mount you can still use the iron sites

I own an M91/30, and an M44 carbine, and a fresh spam can of 440 rounds, they are acurate enough I can hit a can of sida with irons at like maybe 150-200yds, they are ugly but I love mine

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top