JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SATELLITE WITH UNITS.jpg I could not find a satellite view of oregon with the units outlined ANYWHERE. So I got on photoshop made two layers and traced..Enjoy

Last Edited:
Long ago the "Desolation" unit was my Elk Hunting trip destination for many reasons.

Near 'Granite' there were ample camp sites & accessible areas. I hunted with a buddy whose father & HIS WW2 buddies would pack in as a yearly ritual to a particular camp site. They are all long gone but that camp site was a magic elk-rich environment.

There was a road roughly east/west dividing into 'primitive no-wheels' section where horses or foot traffic was the rule, with the southern portion being 'wheels allowed'.

There was a particular spot at the summit separating east from west portion, where you could look back and see the gravel threading it's way around a couple mountain sides. The last time I hunted there (circa 1988) I could see a virtual bumper to bumper line with hunter rigs not 100 yards apart like rush hour on the Banfield.

Coming in from Ukiah over the W approach, there was a summit area several miles long that had handy camping access. Coming in that way typically there might be a dozen or 2 camps over 10 miles. That trip I stopped counting at "100 camps".

That also was the trip where I had parked my rig carefully WAY off the road at the back of a parking area. On return from my morning hunt, discovered someone had purposefully rammed the rear of my pick up cab behind the driver door, wrinking it considerably. This was act of intentional vandalism, no way 'an accident'.

Being too crowed for my taste, I abandoned Desolation Unit despite its charms. Keep your eyes open out there.

Technology really has crowded hunting areas with all the satellite sites.... I hunted (back in the day) to get away from humans and took great pains and many hours scouring over paper maps to find "the spot".
It surely seems that nowadays Hunting, Fishing, shooting, I mean every activity that real men love has turned into a social club that everybody and their brother participates in. Sadly that's not for me anymore.:oops:

re:"Fishing, shooting, I mean every activity that real men love has turned into a social club that everybody and their brother participates in. Sadly that's not for me anymore."

a little more of our own little electronic campfire here, on elk camp years ago.......

our crew on the N side of Desolation, would migrate after at least one of the rigorous hunts (especially if new tales of Elk Prowess could be fabricated quickly enough) and visit the low life in the 'wheeler' camp.

One remaining from the early post WW2 years, was a guy who had been a German POW pilot who stayed in the USA after the dust settled.

His favorite rifle was a 300 Winchester Mag in semi auto, which the record of his tags filled over the years did support as being quite effective. He had a heavy accent still after all the years in USA, and told story upon story, each wilder than the last, as the evenings libations began washing away the efforts of the trail that day.

The stories I can't repeat here. For a few years he did have a most charming blond on his arm, who smiled a lot and made quite stimulating noises now & then. She was considerably younger than 'Walter' and tended to flirt more outrageously as the campfire turned to embers after 'Walter' when to bed.

My hunting buddy came back to camp rather late one night with an extra big grin and suspiciously non committal low-information comments on 'bag limit' etc.

'Walter' had tons of largely outdated information on all the elk hunting sites within 50 miles and would tell us all (yet again) with the least provocation. The funny part was his accent would vacillate as he got more wound up about his political views and how to solve the worlds problems. At heart, he remained a real life Nazi with simple solutions to complex issues. A visit to his camp, if you stayed long enough, took on the semblance of what I'm sure 'the Front' was like from his youth.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top