JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My apologies if this has been posted before, but stumbled onto this through the /Guns/ community on Reddit and thought you all would enjoy it:

I'm personally still on the fence about the whole open carrying to provoke and film a reaction from LEOs thing, but regardless, it's really encouraging to see that some cops get it.

I'm actually pretty tempted to write an email of thanks to the Oceanside PD, myself.

http://www.oceansidepolice.com/
[email protected]

3855 Mission Avenue
Oceanside, CA 92058

Officer Matthew J. Lyons
Badge No. 1093

Last edited by a moderator:
My View on Open Carry
Author: Nick Smith
I would appreciate if you weren't 'opposed' to open carry, but rather indifferent to the practice. Because something is not customary does not make it wrong. I believe, in the sense open carry has become less customary, it has been gun owners who have capitulated to the anti gun movement. We have been asked to hide our firearms. We have been asked to behave as criminals have behaved in the concealed carry of our firearms.

"It does scare some people"

Everyday I get up and drive in Seattle-Tacoma traffic and there are times it scares me and other drivers. However, it is not the vehicle that scares me or others it is the behavior of the driver of that vehicle. I think you will find that it is the behavior of an individual that chooses to open carry that scares others not the firearm. I have met some who concealed carry whose behavior scares me and others. I am sure that you have met people whose behavior scares you on a regular basis. In the state of Washington approximately 1 in 20 are carrying a concealed firearm. Wouldn't you rather see the firearm on a person whose behavior is poor and inappropriate then guess which of those 20 people is the one?

For the last couple of years I have carried openly and I will say that 95% of the people in public do not see my firearm. Why? Because I am polite, courteous, and professional. Furthermore, my behavior invokes trust, not fear in others. I go about my business as though I was concealed. I carry openly for that small percent that do ask and are genuinely curious about the practice and then I am willing to educate and be a positive face to gun owners.

I have chosen to come out of the closet and be transparent in my behavior and actions. I cannot be a jerk to the clerk at the grocery store. I cannot be inconsiderate to the next person getting on the bus or elevator. I have chosen to be open and honest by carrying my firearm openly. I have chosen to engage in a movement to normalize the practice. I have chosen to educate others and also to correct the behavior of others who open carry whose behavior is not polite, courteous, professional and kind. It is a burden that I actively engage.

Could have ended a lot differently if another LEO was doing the stop . Why make an issue of the ID if you aren't doing anything
wrong ? You may be within your rights technically , but some officers wouldn't have been so at ease with the situation .
Be polite , cooperate , state your position without attitude and you should be ok . This cop was way more agreeable than
the average officer we have seen on this and other forums in the past .

There goes a great cop. He's an example to every other LEO in this country. He's the kind of cop little kids can look up to as a hero, and adults can respect.

Were my eyes deceiving me or was he open carrying a hi-point?

Yes. It's a Hi-Point "40cal. S&W". Watch carefully at 0.39 - 0.41 seconds, look at the slide and ejection port on the right side. MSRP $199.95 :p

48341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said one does not have to provide any information that is not required. Again POLITE and Cooperative is a must!!!!

and BTW

VW_Factor
And what do you mean by finally? I am sure there is a lot of negative reactions from LEOs general, however I found it to be the exception, not the rule.

I'm glad your experinces have been good. Most times there seems to be quite a chunk of attitude from the LEO's. Granted sometimes from the OCers too. Plenty of video showing cops with huge authority issues to law abiding legal citizens.

This particular officer is top notch thought!

Glad to see it.

T_H

am i the only one who is not impressed? he's a california cop, violating the Constitution, like every last other cop in california. he did it with a smile and a handshake- that makes it cool? screw that place, screw those laws, and screw that cop. you want to serve your people, become an activist and get your uprising-worthy laws changed. 'cause if you're a cop and work in cali, you're nothing but an organized crime enforcer.

[/chest thump]

Knowing how CA is, I am pretty impressed with his overall behavior. I've seen much much worse from LEO in CA who forcibly demand ID and will arrest those who stand up for their rights and refuse.

It was a quick and concise stop, ended on a decent note.

It could have been handled differently, but I'll leave that discussion for the OC forums to handle..

Personally I'm getting sick of these videos and hate the people that do this crap just to provoke a good video to post on youtube.com

The dept was obviously advised of these videos since a lot of them are from the same area and police have probably had several briefings on how to deal with these guys for PR reasons.

I understand doing this and making your point, but it's clear at the point they refuse to give their info that they just do this to push the issue.

Look obviously it's made some progress, but you still an idiot and have nothing better to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top