JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Federal Register :: Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007

Worth reading if you are on SSI disability for a mental health condition or have a family member in this situation.

This was particularly disturbing

"We will use our regular program rules to determine whether an individual is disabled due to a mental impairment that is severe enough to meet the requirements of our mental disorder listings"

The government, not your doctor, will determine if you have a mental impairment severe enough to be added to NICS for denial.

Also, I've had patients who got on disability who designated someone to manage their finances for convenience. I've had patients where the person at the SSI office recommended it for that reason alone. Be aware that they could use that against you to determine you are unfit to purchase firearms.

If you are young and healthy, consider getting a private disability insurance.

Federal Register :: Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007

Worth reading if you are on SSI disability for a mental health condition or have a family member in this situation.

This was particularly disturbing

"We will use our regular program rules to determine whether an individual is disabled due to a mental impairment that is severe enough to meet the requirements of our mental disorder listings"

The government, not your doctor, will determine if you have a mental impairment severe enough to be added to NICS for denial.

Also, I've had patients who got on disability who designated someone to manage their finances for convenience. I've had patients where the person at the SSI office recommended it for that reason alone. Be aware that they could use that against you to determine you are unfit to purchase firearms.

If you are young and healthy, consider getting a private disability insurance.

Thanks for to heads up!

This means that if you have a mental disability as defined and qualified by SSI and to receive benefits and you have a designated payee, because you are unable to manage your own affairs, the risk of loosing firearms rights is great. This may make alot of sense if the person is so mentally disabled and handicapped that firearms use should be excluded. If a payee is necessary one would assume that the mental disability is severe. I do not like it because of possible misuse but then again SSI schizophrenics or persons with mental retardation aka intellectual disability or severe dementia should be barred from owning firearms almost exclusively. But it is odd because mentally ill people commit crimes at the same rate as non mentally ill people. Could be a hotly debated issue. Maybe the trump administration will reverse or clarify this point. This policy seems to date back to 2007

I had durable power of attorney [medical and financial] for my parents - now deceased. When it became obvious that they weren't paying their bills on time, and their normally well-organized file system was getting messed up, I had to step in. Fortunately for me, they recognized they needed help. I set up automated bill pay with all the utilities, newspaper, etc. A brother who lived in the same town became the Social Security Administration payee representative, which allowed him to manage the bank account to which their payments were deposited. It also made it possible for all their SSA-related communications to go through him, and he was able to sign for them. Aside from one face-to-face interview by the local SSA office representative - to ensure my parents weren't being coerced - all subsequent communications with their office was from the family members.

Both the Assisted Living facility and [later in life] the Nursing Home had no weapons policies, which I studiously ignored when visiting for the day or overnight. Concealed is concealed. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that if this SSA policy develops into a headline-worthy or lawsuit-worthy occasion, it will be in a large urban setting populated with aggressive anti-2A politicians.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top