JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Reply to Wacka wacka: Ma duce- As much as you and me would both like it, it's not the poineer days anymore. The abundance of game is no longer there. The state does not agree with your opinion that since you own the land you also own or have some special right to the wildlife. I would say what once was legal, in your hunting party isn't anymore. You can justify it however you want, but in the end, if you shoot an animal you don't personally have a tag for, you are poaching....for continuation of a family tradition? I bet when the elk numbers are down where you hunt, its all because of the wolves and cougars too.

Thank you for your concern...but we have seen increasing elk herds in our area for years. In fact our stack yards where we store hay to feed the cattle over the winter are regularly broken into and stacks torn down. Fencing is only partially successful as, I am sure you are aware, elk are very powerful. Overhunting is the cause of decreasing herds, not carefully regulated harvesting. Did you assume we shoot as many as we like? Wrong. We take no animals we do not have tags for. As to having a special "right" to the wildlife, we do get landowner tags from the State... and are allowed to harvest cows as late as January, so I assume THEY think we do. I guess by your definition you may be right.....but with a huge tract of private land miles from anywhere I guess things won't change any time soon.

Are you open to the idea of adopting a 56 year old bouncing boy? :D

Iusmc2002- If you want to hold hands with your two buddy's while you shoot your elk, that's cool I guess. I won't judge...

Seems like the concept of flash cards is lost on you, maybe a story problem:
Poacher A, B and C go hunting. They split up and while separated, poacher A shoots 3 elk. Had poacher A not poached elk #2 and 3#, they would still be alive.(And able to be legally hunted) Poacher B, and C were, not around otherwise they could have shot elk #2 and #3 themselves, and I would have no complaint.

As far as earning a poached elk cause you hiked hard and got up early? Pretty much everybody does that. Until you can put all that hard work and preperation together to make the shot when it counts, you haven't earned squat. Otherwise your just hiking with a rifle.

Just want to say I appreciate everyones input on the subject, both pro and con. Once again I don't advocate poaching, especially exceeding bag limits. It's a subject that I knew to be a touchy one and I wanted to hear what others had to say about it. Thanks again

Not legal up here,but a few locals help each other out to haul the animals.

Now the dad trusting and letting his kid kill a trophy?
Now that is freekin cool right there.
If it ain't on film it didn't happen.:s0155:

But giving the meat to the land owner isn't anything.I can give my venison to whoever I want,inside this state.
(don't need to get into shipping laws)

Alright I'll go a little further:) (both true stories)

For those that say one tag one kill.

Imagine your hunting the bottom of a good drawn know to produce elk. You spot a herd of elk coming over the top and headed your way. With several bulls in it. You hear a gunshot from the guy above you and one bull drops. No biggie, there are two more. Now that guy shoots the two other legal bulls. And the rest of the herd runs right by you. As you aproach the guy he's calling in his buddies on he radio to tag the other two bulls.

Or

Your trying to close the distance to a bull feeding on a far hillside. Right as you get into range you here a gunshot and the bull drops. Oh well thats hunting. You go over to check out the bull and offer to help the guy get it started. As you congratulate him, he tells you its smaller than the one he shot two days ago. And this one is for his wife back in Portland.

If you tell me you still don't see a problem with this, I'm calling you a liar.:D Poachers steal game that you have paid to be able to hunt. No poachers means more game for everybody who follows the rules.

Hunting laws are written to make it a level playing field between you and other hunters.(and give the animals a chance) When you break those laws to get an advantage over the other hunters or take an animal that might not have been taken, Y-O-U A-R-E P-O-A-C-H-I-N-G!:D

:drink:

Ill go the other way.... say the EXACT same thing happens, but the other hunters that came over to collect said elk are disabled and riding ATV's assisted by someone...... in this scenario what just happened is "Legal".... but your still out the elk. Now what? An animal was still taken that otherwise wouldn't have, but it was legal..... the question still remains, legality aside.... is it immoral? For me, I dont know.

There are still states that allow "party hunting", I was raised in one so I have a different take on the morality of it. Irregardless of it being illegal in the state I currently live.

Alright, i dont agree with poaching, nor do i agree with a hunter taking 3 elk one for him and his buddies...
We also do not have "fewer animals" now then we did a hundred years ago.. maybe with the mule deer but not the elk or the blacktails.
A father and his young son or a landowner with a landowner preference tag i could care less about. And so could most of my police officer friends. The landowner should be able to let any of his family or friends fill those tags if he wants to let them hunt on his property. Tell the state to butt out of it...
You practically need a freakin law degree to follow all the rules and regulations, so imo ignorance (which alot of scenarios can be attributed to) does not constitute a moral breach on an individual unless the intent is to specifically do something illegally.. ignorance does not make an illegal situation legal!!! but it also doesnt make someone immoral.

Last Edited:
Hmmm... Lets confuse this further - a few guys went duck hunting and dropped 2 ducks between them - they sent the dogs out to fetch the ducks and went home limited out. The dogs found the rest of their limit in the cattails. They asked the few other hunters that they ran across if they had lost any but no takers. do you consider this poaching as well? is it better that the downed ducks be left to rot? should they punish the dogs for bringing back more than one duck at a time? After all they didn't shoot the ducks themselves and they were in possession of them.

Hmmm... Lets confuse this further - a few guys went duck hunting and dropped 2 ducks between them - they sent the dogs out to fetch the ducks and went home limited out. The dogs found the rest of their limit in the cattails. They asked the few other hunters that they ran across if they had lost any but no takers. do you consider this poaching as well? is it better that the downed ducks be left to rot? should they punish the dogs for bringing back more than one duck at a time? After all they didn't shoot the ducks themselves and they were in possession of them.

Well now i think maybe a weekend in the pound for those dogs is in order... :s0131: But like any GOOD criminal that gets out of jail,,, and is good at what they do... They will probably get a job offer from the state after their incarceration:s0112:

Well now i think maybe a weekend in the pound for those dogs is in order... :s0131: But like any GOOD criminal that gets out of jail,,, and is good at what they do... They will probably get a job offer from the state after their incarceration:s0112:

Way to go man, you just insulted EVERY criminal that ever spent time behind bars by comparing them to a state worker! Such insensitivity! ;)

Way to go man, you just insulted EVERY criminal that ever spent time behind bars by comparing them to a state worker! Such insensitivity! ;)

Hey - if you ask criminals they are state employees. When I worked the warrant office for CA Corrections I got a call from a credit card company wanting to verify employment of an individual - when I asked for the name and DOB for verification I checked the system and the guy was a return to custody with new term housed at San Quentin. I explained that the guy was an inmate at SQ and that "technically" he might be considered an employee but he only makes about $0.35 / hour. The guy just about choked.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top