JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO HERE IS THE DEAL IM CONSIDERING BULDING A 1911 FROM SCRATCH OR REFINISHING A SIG P6 NOW HERE IS THE CATCH ALL I WANT ON THE 1911 IS THE SERIAL#, ON THE SIG ALL I WANT IS THE SERIAL#, BRAND, AND MODEL, SO WHATS THE BEST WAY OF FILLING IN THE UNWANTED ENGRAVINGS

The above is correct. You will need to keep the serial number and the maker info on the gun to be legal. <broken link removed>

Any of the "warning" or other markings are not illegal to remove.

Think of this way. What good is the look up of an serial # if you don't know the make and model. Especially when manufacturers can select any serial # of their choosing.

well like i said the sig will have the brand and model the 1911 which will most like be from all sorts of diffrent parts all i want is the serial number no logos how is that crazy or ignorant

well like i said the sig will have the brand and model the 1911 which will most like be from all sorts of diffrent parts all i want is the serial number no logos how is that crazy or ignorant

Again you can get rid of everything BUT it HAS to have maker name, State, Serial number and Model number, based on marking requirements listed above in my link.

Now with that said I also found this, Section Which only says it is illegal to mess with the serial number.

In your case I would suggest at the very least a call to your closest ATF office and mark the time, date, and person(s) you talk to. Even better would be to write them a letter with what you want to do and then you will get a letter back that you have written proof of what they say.

I've talked to two ATF offices... got two different answers (though it was regarding import marks).

I had stated that I owned a firearm that was being refinished (blued), and I had a concern over the import marks as they're generally laser etched on and quite shallow.

One BATF said there was nothing clearly stating that import marks needed to be clear/legible/intact..,. Only that the serial number be completely unaltered and the manufacturer name be unaltered.

The other stated that the import marks, along with any other marking from the factory or importer, could not be obscured in any way... further, that it was not legal to change the surface finish of a firearm. This is about where I gave up listening because it sounded pretty far fetched.

i love getting different answers :)

that being said, i polished the gun, smoothed the corners, blued it and have been happy. i don't fear criminal persecution because an import mark is no longer there. the manufacturer and serial are, and that (should) be good enough. i hope :)

I've talked to two ATF offices... got two different answers (though it was regarding import marks).

I had stated that I owned a firearm that was being refinished (blued), and I had a concern over the import marks as they're generally laser etched on and quite shallow.

One BATF said there was nothing clearly stating that import marks needed to be clear/legible/intact..,. Only that the serial number be completely unaltered and the manufacturer name be unaltered.

The other stated that the import marks, along with any other marking from the factory or importer, could not be obscured in any way... further, that it was not legal to change the surface finish of a firearm. This is about where I gave up listening because it sounded pretty far fetched.

i love getting different answers :)

that being said, i polished the gun, smoothed the corners, blued it and have been happy. i don't fear criminal persecution because an import mark is no longer there. the manufacturer and serial are, and that (should) be good enough. i hope :)

If you liked the different answers routine, then you're gonna Love the Please send me something in writing routine, that's when you know all the different aswer folks For Sure don't know the real answer...

here is the codes

Section 5861(g) of the NFA, it is unlawful "to obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other identification of a firearm required by the chapter" as well as Section 5861(h) which makes it unlawful "to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered." Section 5842 of the NFA requires that, each firearm manufactured imported or made be identified by a serial number, the name of the manufacturer, importer or maker, and "other identification" as prescribed by the regulations. The additional marking requirements are prescribed by 22 CFR 479.102, and include the model of the firearm, caliber or gauge, name of the manufacturer or importer of record, and the city and state of the manufacturer who made the firearm or name of the country in which the firearm was manufactured. Pursuant to section 5861(g) of the NFA, it a criminal offense for an individual to obliterate any of the required markings found on an NFA firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top