Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Filing taxes. Printer won't print. Experiences w E-Filing appreciated.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bigfoot, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Murphys law hit the printer today. I've never filed online because of SSN # secrecy, as if anythings secret anymore... But, since libraries don't carry forms anymore I need a "safe" way to file a simple 1040 EZ.

2. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

Last 2 years I've used TurboTax and e-filed without a hitch.

3. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I've e-filed with Turbotax for the past 8 or 9 years without a problem. This year things became substantially more complex so I got a CPA; he's e-filing for me and it's working fine.

I'm pretty sure you can e-file your 1040 EZ for free, either through Turbotax or through another website.

No worries!

4. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Also have e-filed for at least 10 years. Worked good for me.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I've done it for about five years. Fastest way to get a refund.

6. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I've e-filed for several years. The only problem I had is when I mistyped my previous years income so I had to refile. No extra cost though.

7. Bigfoot

Can I e-file directly with the IRS or do I have to go through others? I couldn't find anything on the IRS site. I'd rather deal straight w the IRS and eliminate the chance that my SSN goes around the net.

8. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

9. skywag

skywag On the Columbia River Active Member

TurboTax.............did mine yesterday. It makes a difficult and excruciating task almost fun. The only thing you really need id EVERY piece of paperwork.

10. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

It used to be that filing via paperwork/mail that you had less of a chance of being audited. I know that is weird, but two accountants I've used and various sources have said that.

Started e-filing a couple years ago. This year I literally got my State refund within ten days. Although I despise paying taxes (Federal Income Taxes specifically) I have no plans on doing a Wesley Snipes and objecting to the unConstitutional nature of it all. I know who the real gangsters are and have no desire to mess with them. Pay every penny you legally owe, not one red cent more.

On a related note, a lady at the Washington State Revenue Dept told me the other day that their sales tax revenue is at an all time low for the last 20 years. Many businesses are simply filing 'no business' or very little revenue for last quarter. Jan, Feb, March time frame.
    Translation = although the media paints a recovery picture, businesses are not selling squat.

11. Bigfoot

12. Bowtie

Bowtie Oregon City Member

I have been e-filing for 10 to 11 years now, no problems, no hang up's on getting refunds and never been audited. Turbo tax makes it very very easy.

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I used to pay $400-$600 a year for my CPA.... Turbo Tax kicks donkey! I actually got a few hundred back from the Fed and State this year. I have been e-filing for the better part of (if not) two decades w/o a hitch. I don't e-file my State returns as I usually owe the State more money (and Turbo Tax charges $20 for State e-filing) so I print it out and mail it (it only costs me a stamp)... and wait right up until the last day to pay it....LOL!

I already got the Federal refund direct deposited into my account within days of e-filing. :thumbup:

14. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like the like button and I like Turbo Tax. :D I have used Turbo Tax for close to 10 years, no problems yet.

15. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

To WA residents: I am using TaxAct.com, highly recommended. They offer a free federal tax return and only charge for the state return. Since WA has no income tax, the whole thing is essentially free.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  16. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

Been using TurboTax for the last few years, a bit of a rip-off for $50 for the software, and another $20 to e-file the state, but I have a complicated situation and the ease of use and hassle-free process is worth it to me.

17. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Never filed on paper, filed 3 years with TurboTax e-filing without problems so far. I'm a big fan of the e-stuff. The thing about SSN secrecy has its pros and cons: efiling gives you the transmission over a secured link, but it's of course still possible to get eavesdropped on. So does snail mail, in case something happens with a mail truck or whatever. Then there's going to be some entry level IRS and state tax person sitting there with a ton of papers putting everything in their computer system, which has room for error, but also exposes it to an extra person or two at the front end. Plus then there's a paper with your number floating around. Will it get disposed of properly? When? Will IRS/state tax boards keep it for some years? How will it get disposed of after a certain amount of time? Etcetera.

18. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

I've e-filed with HR Block Tax Cut for at least 6-7 years without any problems.