JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Makes sense. I have definitely learned over the decades that acting aggressive and unpredictable has earned me more respect than being humble and nice all the time.
And that's just at work!
You can always be humble and nice *and* learn to spring into action in an adverse situation. It's not a choice between being helpless and being a douche

I noticed the "freeze" response a few times on SAR missions. One was a boat stuck on a jetty and the boat owner was screaming angrily at our crew. The coxswain more or and one of the crew more or less froze instead of doing their tasks as they were trained to do.

You see it at times when people are threatened; instead of fight/flight, they freeze in place, more or less.

It takes training and experience to learn to overcome it.

It is important to at least have a reaction roughed out ….

Wife: "is that MORE ammo?"
Me; "just inspecting/rotating/reorganizing my stock, Honey"
(The LAST thing you want to do is freeze):s0155:

I noticed the "freeze" response a few times on SAR missions. One was a boat stuck on a jetty and the boat owner was screaming angrily at our crew. The coxswain more or and one of the crew more or less froze instead of doing their tasks as they were trained to do.

You see it at times when people are threatened; instead of fight/flight, they freeze in place, more or less.

It takes training and experience to learn to overcome it.
It sure as hell does, and some just don't seem to really ever get over it. See it a LOT at work when we have to deal with a sudden violent outburst. A lot of staff freeze. Even after we have some control over the situation I have often had to yell at them a few times to either come help or call for help, not just stand there frozen. Years ago the one supervisor got hurt badly. Walked in just in time to see some scum deck his "baby mama". He took the guy down and baby mama gets up and starts football kicking him in the head. Telling him to "get off her man".:mad:
3 other people stood there and let her kick him 3 times before one of them finally grabbed her. :eek:

It sure as hell does, and some just don't seem to really ever get over it. See it a LOT at work when we have to deal with a sudden violent outburst. A lot of staff freeze. Even after we have some control over the situation I have often had to yell at them a few times to either come help or call for help, not just stand there frozen. Years ago the one supervisor got hurt badly. Walked in just in time to see some scum deck his "baby mama". He took the guy down and baby mama gets up and starts football kicking him in the head. Telling him to "get off her man".:mad:
3 other people stood there and let her kick him 3 times before one of them finally grabbed her. :eek:
Hard to not get a little dirty when you are handling garbage, best to avoid it.

We did an active shooter training with a local school. Their administration promotes: Run, Hide, Fight. They asked how I felt about that. I told them I am more of a subscriber to Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy. They asked what that would really look like. I said it looks like brains, blood, agonal breathing. I think they thought I was joking.

Makes sense. I have definitely learned over the decades that acting aggressive and unpredictable has earned me more respect than being humble and nice all the time.
And that's just at work!
Yeah, when I worked in an office I did the pretending to be angry all the time act

It kept the boss from dumping extra work on me.

We did an active shooter training with a local school. Their administration promotes: Run, Hide, Fight. They asked how I felt about that. I told them I am more of a subscriber to Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy. They asked what that would really look like. I said it looks like brains, blood, agonal breathing. I think they thought I was joking.
Would be nice if teachers/staff could just take the same qualification testing that police do and if passed, be allowed to carry.

Beyond that, run-hide-fight is well intention but problematic. It suggests that the best thing to do is run, then hide, and if nothing else, fight - but in reality the best choice depends on the situation. If the attacker comes around the corner and we are within a few feet of each other, rushing and controlling the muzzle direction and then applying violence to overcome them is possibly more prudent than trying to run away and being shot in the back after a few steps in the other direction.

The broward coward also showed the whole world how "no one is coming to save you."

Would be nice if teachers/staff could just take the same qualification testing that police do and if passed, be allowed to carry.

Beyond that, run-hide-fight is well intention but problematic. It suggests that the best thing to do is run, then hide, and if nothing else, fight - but in reality the best choice depends on the situation. If the attacker comes around the corner and we are within a few feet of each other, rushing and controlling the muzzle direction and then applying violence to overcome them is possibly more prudent than trying to run away and being shot in the back after a few steps in the other direction.

The broward coward also showed the whole world how "no one is coming to save you."
If I were to choose a qualification course for school-carry, I'd lean toward the Federal Air Marshals QC. I sometimes fly armed for work and feel like the training to pass that QC would be more applicable.

If I were to choose a qualification course for school-carry, I'd lean toward the Federal Air Marshals QC. I sometimes fly armed for work and feel like the training to pass that QC would be more applicable.
Whatever it would be, so be it. Give them the Navy Seal pistol qualification for that matter, but there should be a standard allowed by law if there is going to be a law limiting those rights for school staff.

More than a few teachers have died being bullet sponges trying to protect students.

One of my sons teaches a class for first responders that may come in contact with the Military in an active shooter situation.
You should see their responce when he tells them his mission is to kill anything that looks like a threat, and if its a confirmed threat to shoot it again!
They also get funny looks when he tells them that once an area is cleared EMS and first responders are brought right in even if the rest of the building is not cleared. DR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top