JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I generally always have a flashlight with me. When I use a flashlight, it tends to drown out my night sights, and all I get is an outline of the sight. I prefer a straight black/serrated rear with a wide square notch and a red, green, or if I can find it, blue fiber optic front. In the low-light, the fiber optic front picks up the light from my flashlight and lights up fairly well...

Fiber optic inserts are too fragile IMHO.
For a target gun they're great as long as you have backup inserts, but for defense, I wouldnt trust them.
Also, unless you have a flashlight on hand and ready, the fiber optic sights wont do jack didly for you.

From watches, to acogs, to pistol sights, I'm a big fan of tritium.
I have trijicon sights on all carry pistols except for my revolvers.

go with both... Truglo TFOs(tritium fiber optic)!

They are a fiber optic sight, that has a tritium insert, which the fiber optics gather light from to illuminate at night. I just installed a set on my G23, and I am very impressed! Night sights are nice at night, and during the day they work as a standard set of sights... whereas the fiberoptics of the TFO will glow in the daylight, and are propably even brighter at night as well.

I prefer tritium night sights. I have not seen any fiber optic sight that I consider to be durable enough to trust with my life. I also don't like how overpowering the light given off by fiber optic rods is in bright-light conditions. The fact that their brightness changes depending on how much light strikes them also bothers me. Try moving around in the woods from light areas to dark while trying to pick up targets in varying light. If you are in a bright spot and the target is in a shadowed one the sights are overpowering and make it very difficult to see the target. FWIW: My eyes are *extremely* sensitive to light so this may be a bigger problem for me than the average shooter. :cool:

Anybody who is going to rely on night sights would do well to test fire their weapon in the dark with the ammo they are going to carry. They may find that looking down the barrel to use the sights will cause them to be blinded by the muzzle flash, particularly when using Magnum or +P loads in guns with short barrels. All of that unburned powder gets blown out of the barrel and ignited, and it can be like a flashbulb going off in the dark.

Standard black sights and a flashlight. Spend the extra $100.00 you save on a CT laser, class or ammo.

There is like a .5% chance they will help you make the hit and that is presented less than .2% of all circumstances. Yes, those are actual FBI/DEA/ATF statistics!

Standard black sights and a flashlight. Spend the extra $100.00 you save...

Except that you won't actually save $100.

A set of black steel sights from Warren Tactical is $57.

A set of AmeriGlo night sights is $75.

You're not going to get very far with training or ammo on $18. In fact, the $18 won't even buy a decent flash light. :p

For the purpose of this example, I used a Glock 17. Both prices above include shipping.

/just sayin'

You picked the cheapest NS out there I think? LOL
How about we agree on an average of $30.00 savings across the board.

Fiber optics are too fragile, NS only shine in a minuscule of situations and most of those are offensive not defensive.

NS do more harm to your daylight/flashlight sight picture than they do good to your varied light/no-flashlight SP.

Oh, and if you have a nice standard set of sights on the gun already, we are talking a $75.00 savings aren't we? :)

You picked the cheapest NS out there I think? LOL

Actually, MeproLights are even cheaper. Probably about $60 shipped.

Oh, and if you have a nice standard set of sights on the gun already, we are talking a $75.00 savings aren't we? :)

Possibly, but I don't consider the craptastic plastic sights on Glocks to be "good standard" sights. They're placeholders for when you've bought real sights.

I use that as an example since they are very prevalent out there, including wide adoption by all manner of LE agencies and some .mil.

Use of Glock as an example, does NOT however imply or state that it is the be all, end all of hand gunnery. ;)

Dell_Dude,
I wasn't raggin on you. I'm actually surprised they are so cheap across the board now. When I was using NS, they were Heinie Straight Eights. I went through a bunch of different setups (including Dawson FO) and in the end came back to Heinie Slant Pros because they are $42.00 easy to find for my two gun models (G17 & Sig P228) and after 10 years of messing with a sight picture and falling into the NS hype, I finally concluded they were not worth the $$$ and SP sacrifice.

I was just trying to save face on the $75.00 savings part also. The first thing to go on a Glock is the sights. Although I hear the new ones have a metal FP. I still don't like the U-Dot config they come with though.

Now a laser..... that's worth adding IMO. :)

The TFO sight is both fiber and trit.
Trit vials break, FO posts are not as strong as solid blades but most are strong enough to not matter.

The FO designs are all over the map and so is their structural integrity. Google fiber optic front post and look at the ones out there.

PS. FO melts on a hot gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top