JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tend to shoot a lot of .308/7.62 rounds. And after a lot of trial and error I discovered I really like the Federal Gold Medal Match. I really love this stuff.

I found that I prefer GM762M2 over GM308M2. But they almost act exactly the same.

I have noticed two interesting things while reloading some GM762M2 that the head stamp seems to have FC and 11, or FC and 12. I believe this is for the year it was made.

I've also noticed that the primer whole is incredibly tight, and requires a little chamfering to ensure primers will seat smoothly and easily.

After a bit of research on this, it seems that the GM762M2 is military spec, and only shows up on the market when there is an overrun. Whereas GM308M2 is the normal civilian market stuff. This would perhaps indicate why the primer pocket requires a little work.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or encountered this?

I have noticed two interesting things while reloading some GM762M2 that the head stamp seems to have FC and 11, or FC and 12. I believe this is for the year it was made.

I've also noticed that the primer whole is incredibly tight, and requires a little chamfering to ensure primers will seat smoothly and easily.

After a bit of research on this, it seems that the GM762M2 is military spec, and only shows up on the market when there is an overrun. Whereas GM308M2 is the normal civilian market stuff. This would perhaps indicate why the primer pocket requires a little work.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or encountered this?

Usually when there is a headstamp denoting the manufacturer and two numbers, that's Milspec ammo. From what I've seen in the range-pickup brass, after service rifle matches, the GM762M2 has crimped primer pockets. I find that it reloads the same as the GM308 cases I just use the swaging tool on the primer pockets to remove the crimp.

In today's market you may run across all kinds of variations of the "same" ammo that was just meant for diffent marketing channels.

Usually when there is a headstamp denoting the manufacturer and two numbers, that's Milspec ammo. From what I've seen in the range-pickup brass, after service rifle matches, the GM762M2 has crimped primer pockets. I find that it reloads the same as the GM308 cases I just use the swaging tool on the primer pockets to remove the crimp.

In today's market you may run across all kinds of variations of the "same" ammo that was just meant for diffent marketing channels.

This is what I was trying to describe with my chamfering line, or as you put it using a swaging tool. I believe you just answered my question, a primer crimp might be want I'm feeling/seeing with the GM762M2.

Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads