Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

FFL x-fer OR/WA

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Scott, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I know many people lose good sales because they don't want to go through an FFL. What's the big deal? It can't be the $20 dollar fee, are people worried the FBI will break down doors. I don't know about OR but in WA you don't have to report lost or stolen firearms and you can sell ftf like OR. I just tried to sell and buy to OR residents and out of 10 possible deals I got 2. Thanks Weebs for being the second.

I just wonder what the big deal is because I would buy many guns from OR but they won't sell or buy:huh: I know some will but most won't. I guess I will keep looking but again why?

Scott

2. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Scott, I think you hit it right on the head. A lot of people don't want to go through the transfer process because they're scared of having a log in the goverment files with all of their weapons.

I've also found that people who do a lot of trading refuse to go through transfer because they're not 100% sure of the gun they are trading... I think they're scared that if they go through the process it'll come back as a stolen gun and they'll get busted. Personally when I get a gun on trade that isn't transferred I call an FFL and ask them to run the SN. About 6 months later I do it again just to make sure. It gives me peace of mind.

I'm always willing to make deals with washingtonians as long as they're willing to go through the proper channels. If not... I pull the plug on the deal because I feel they're hiding something.

People don't be afraid to deal with Scott, he's a great guy!

3. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I think most people feel that they can sell the gun locally and avoid the hassle. Personally, I would hold on to a gun longer just to avoid the third party.

4. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Kenr74,

I am not disagreeing with you but all it takes is another extra 10 minutes to do a x-fer across state lines. I don't care but there were several guns I wanted in OR but they would not sell to a person in WA. Oh well.

Scott

5. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Note the federal law (for NON-FFLs)............

Aloha, Mark

6. bolen05

bolen05 Vancouver, WA Member

the only place in clark county that will do a ffl transfer is r&w pawn on 78th street and hwy 99. they know they are the only people that will do it so they jacked the price to $50. when you add $50 to a purchase price sometimes you are just as well off to go buy new. It sucks but they have a corner on the market.

7. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

I can think of about 10 FFL dealers who do transfers in Clark county. And I'm sure there is more. Eagle Firearms in Vancouver is the best deal I've found on a transfer.

8. bolen05

bolen05 Vancouver, WA Member

good to know--thanks

9. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

What is the charge to run the SN?

10. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

When you need a FFL for a transfer try searching Gun Broker. Just put your zip code in there and it'll show you within a close range who is willing to help and the fees invloved.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Aloha, Mark

11. Bello425

:thumbup: $$$ That is the only reason I have backed out of a potential deal. I could care less about going to an FFL, I have nothing to hide, but the $$$ added to the final price does not = a good deal.

12. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

Why not just go the local police dept and ask if the gun is on the hot list?

13. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Free. The ATF and state police will run them for free. You have to be in possession or know where it is though.

14. Bello425

Thanks for the info, I now have another tool to use.:thumbup:

15. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Coctailer here in the couve will do an FFL transfer for 35 bucks. I just talked with him today about one. He even told me that both parties do not have to be present at the same time. I am in the same boat as Scott there are a lot of deals in Oregon and hopefully people are willing to do the legwork and go with the FFL rather than no sale at all.

16. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

I have nothing to hide either, but I rarely do an FFL transfer/purchase because it nobody's business how many guns I have and what kind they are. ESPECIALLY not Uncle Sam.