JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks and figured I'd ask some advice on a ffl transfer.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a handgun online, there was a local gun shop on their FFL network so I had it shipped to them. Before buying it I called the LGS and they said they had no problem with doing a transfer.

After buying it I called them and left a message saying it shipped etc. It shipped on a Monday (6/2) with 3 day shipping. On thursday I had called again to schedule an appointment. I waited for a response but never got one. They are only open two days and I was working both days.

Yesterday, I emailed the seller and confirmed that it had arrived last Thursday. So, I don't really know what to do. I've had no responses to my calls or email. I plan on going in on Friday when they are open but I figured they would call or email at least.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have.

Most shops try,TRY to call everybody,but sometimes they get too many and 1 will get missed.Or a phone # lost
But in my experience,most everyone who has a gun shipped knows exactly where the gun is by tracking it and are at the shop a short while after the 'delivered' message is received.
We would have folks follow the UPS guy in and wait till the gun was logged in.

I would go camp on the FFL's door about 15 minutes before his next 2 day "scheduled" opening.
After you get your gun tell him you are going to let the word know who he is because he's making money but too lazy to respond to an email or answer the phone... What a D_wad.....................

So does anyone know what recourse a buyer has if he/she can't get a hold of the ffl or firearm after the ffl has certainly received the item? Like opening a claim with the shipping agency?

I say calm down and wait 5 minutes . . . Do you realize how much business FFL's do or how many phone calls they receive? My local shop that I have my firearms shipped to has 1 employee and receives an average of 300-500 calls a day and double to triple that on a busy day. I call and text sometimes without a response as can expected, I do not expect that one employee to drop everything because I am having 1 gun transferred that they are making a whole $25 off. I wouldn't tarnish an FFL's reputation because they didn't call you when they were closed or on the two days they were open as they were more than likely very busy. If you are unsatisfied with the way they conduct their business simply move along.

I say calm down and wait 5 minutes . . . Do you realize how much business FFL's do or how many phone calls they receive? My local shop that I have my firearms shipped to has 1 employee and receives an average of 300-500 calls a day and double to triple that on a busy day. I call and text sometimes without a response as can expected, I do not expect that one employee to drop everything because I am having 1 gun transferred that they are making a whole $25 off. I wouldn't tarnish an FFL's reputation because they didn't call you when they were closed or on the two days they were open as they were more than likely very busy. If you are unsatisfied with the way they conduct their business simply move along.

I wasn't necessarily talking about your LGS I was referring to the small guys like the ones that are in yours and mine neighborhoods.

So how did it turn out??

I think I know who you are referring to, and if so he is a very good FFL, very busy for a small one man shop.
Sometime emails are slow, but when he is not working the shop he working a real job.

So does anyone know what recourse a buyer has if he/she can't get a hold of the ffl or firearm after the ffl has certainly received the item? Like opening a claim with the shipping agency?

Why , just walk in when it is open, problem solved.

"very busy for a one man shop" You would think the FFL would be able to find a minute to send an Email, or call/voice mail...After all, according to the OP, the firearm has been there since 06/05

Everything will most likely work out , but, in the mean time, the OP's anxiety level must be up to the ceiling by now.

I call BS right there. 500 calls a day is like one call every three mins ALL day. with call volume like that they would be in booming business which would easily justify another employee. It's either a sweatshop or you are highly exaggerated

I call BS right there. 500 calls a day is like one call every three mins ALL day. with call volume like that they would be in booming business which would easily justify another employee. It's either a sweatshop or you are highly exaggerated
You may call bs all you would like . . . FFLs don't make money answering phone calls and answering stupid questions. Just realize how many morons are calling asking if you have 22lr in stock.

Even if 5% of the calls spent money that's 25 transactions. That would most likely be a few hundred $ at least. Now you are making it seem like all the calls are worthless so why even answer if you say none are going to turn into sales? Your math and logic is exaggerated.

I wasn't necessarily talking about your LGS I was referring to the small guys like the ones that are in yours and mine neighborhoods.

So you don't want to tarnish a brick and mortar store but your willing to tarnish a guy in the neighborhood,
I'd be willing to bet they have list's they share of do not do business with this A-hole then good luck finding anyone to work with you

So I'm going to wade in here... probably not a good idea for a first post, but whatever.

Obviously we are a gunsmithing shop which also does some sales and transfers and such. As such, allow me to shed a little light on how it all works, since there's a lot of controversy and we see that in our customers as well :)

The firearms industry is totally unique. No where else that I can think of do you have such an overwhelming demand, but every firearm is a little different. As gunsmiths we can't just create one product and ship it, every firearm is a project. The shear volume of work that comes in can be completely overwhelming. And since we do work internationally for triggers, we get calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, plus emails, plus walk in customers. Which sounds great right? Hire some employees and you're good to go!

The problem is two fold. First off (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) gun folks love to talk, and don't want to spend a dime more than they need to. My shop is open 4 days a week, but I'm in here 7 days a week, usually until midnight or later, because the ONLY time I can actually sit at my bench and make money for the business is when the shop is closed. And that's okay, my primary goal when starting this shop was to spend time with my customers educating them on current trends, equipment, cartridges, firearm care.... whatever questions they had, and some they didn't know they had! And that's not going to change. But you end up putting a LOT of time into the shop with relatively few billable hours.

So you hire another person, right? You would not believe how hard it is to find folks who are friendly, comfortable around guns, semi-knowledgeable about guns.... and most challenging, they can run a computer and are NOT going to wind up on the evening news! Harder than you'd think. And even more, so I hire somebody and lets say they run the counter. So now I'm on the bench, but now I have to make enough money to pay for my business AND pay his salary, taxes, and bring something home.

So you see, it's a tough situation! Personally, we are trying to address it by slowly growing with good employees, becoming constantly more efficient at managing the business, and creating a website and emails which answers most of the customers common questions. We are hoping to make the business run itself which will give us more time on the bench or with customers. Or heck, maybe even going shooting now and then!

That's kind of the issues a lot of these guys are running into. Sure, plenty of them just got an FFL for the perks, and if someone is a jerk there's no excuse for that. But I would politely ask that you cut some of them some slack. There's plenty of guys who are legitimately working their heart out and are just overwhelmed. Go easy on those guys :) I think in this industry, perhaps more than any other, we have to redefine the customer/business relationship. There are extremes and some businesses need to go under! But trust me, if they are trying, a little patience goes a long ways in this industry :)

I hope that helps you guys understand what's going on a little bit. I don't want to hijack this thread completely, but I feel that the best way to get understanding FROM the public is if we help you guys understand what's going on. If you anyone has any questions let me know!

So you don't want to tarnish a brick and mortar store but your willing to tarnish a guy in the neighborhood,
I'd be willing to bet they have list's they share of do not do business with this A-hole then good luck finding anyone to work with you

Dude WTF are you even talking about? It was a completely hypothetical question. The real reason for my question was if you have a transfer done through your LGS they more than likely have a store front with business hours so it would be easier to get a hold of someone if you have any issues. A private dealer more than likely has a day job and could be harder to get a hold of. For the record I have a local private guy that I use and I have nothing bad to say about him. As a matter of fact I just picked up my two stripped lowers from him this after noon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top