JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At what point are FFL holders required to state they have a lic.? The reason I ask is I replied to a wtb ad for a rifle and everything was cool sent pics, agreed on price and meet time/place. At that point I said I would need to see odl and complete Bos. He then replied no problem has odl and ffl and he would need me to complete form for him. I agreed but after thinking about the way it played out kind of got my spiddy senses going. I am a man of my word but I also tend to follow my gut when something seems odd. The guy seems legit and says the rifle is for his personal collection but seems odd he waited to state his ffl until I asked for odl. I think in the world of autos dealers are required to state they are licensed. Unclear why this guy chose to wait to say. Am not worried as I know origin of rifle. A little bothered as I do not feel guy was forth right in this deal. Am I just paranoid?

This person holds an actual FFL, from the ATF ?

If so, you can check it's validity here --> https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

In WA private party transfers are not required to go through a FFL. Is this the case in Oregon ? I have had alot of guns move through my hands and only used the above once or twice. I have never had reason to believe someone did NOT have a ffl, if I did I would verify above or not perform the transaction if the FFL required by law.

In CA we had to go into store fronts ( kitchen ffls were killed off with the dinosaurs ), here in WA it's not required.

This person holds an actual FFL, from the ATF ?

If so, you can check it's validity here --> https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

In WA private party transfers are not required to go through a FFL. Is this the case in Oregon ? I have had alot of guns move through my hands and only used the above once or twice. I have never had reason to believe someone did NOT have a ffl, if I did I would verify above or not perform the transaction if the FFL required by law.

In CA we had to go into store fronts ( kitchen ffls were killed off with the dinosaurs ), here in WA it's not required.

Not required in OR either unless you're at a gun show.

Not required in OR either unless you're at a gun show.

Then OP - don't worry be happy, presuming it was not at a gun show. As far as requiring to state they have a FFL, I have never had this stated to me other than gun broker deals where a gun is travelling across state lines, then I would get a copy AND check " EZ-Check" before shipping to the address on the FFL.

I have never had it stated to me otherwise and have owned a bunch of guns over the years.

He holds an ffl. I am not generally the seller and have not come across in past. Like I said just odd the way it played out. I plan to proceed and be happy. at very least I will know an FFL close to me to call upon if I find the need.

Was it an 01, 02, 03 FFL, or maybe one of the other numbers?

In my case, if I'm looking at a firearm, if I find out after agreeing to purchase (by checking model S/N etc.) that is is a curio or relic, I am required at that time to be able to fill in all the little spots in my bound book. I might not have talked all about that beforehand, if I didn't know it was a firearm that fell into the criteria for my 03FFL.

I don't think it's an issue, but if it ever is an issue with someone I'm buying from, they can always walk away from the sale.

I think I may have been a little concerned I answered a wtb ad to dealer. After meeting and doing deal I see he is just an enthusiast like me. The guy was cool the paperwork amounted to nothing. When I first think of FFL i think dealer or at least I did. All is well he has a great rifle at a good price and I funds for my next project. Turns out i was just paranoid. Happy Happy Happy! Thanks to all for your responses

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top