1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

FFl question.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by optrixs, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. optrixs

    optrixs SW Oregon Member

    Likes Received:
    I live in Oregon and here is my question.I'm about to trade a rifle for another rifle.Do the ferderal "ATF now the BATFE" trump Oregon state law?.
    I'm trading a Mosin Nagant for a 8MM Mauser.The person that I want to trade with is a "collector of curios and relics" holder. My FFL says that I can't just box up the Mosin rifle and just send it to the "C&R" holder.I have read off the batfe site FAQ.See here.


    "A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector."

    My Mosin falls under C&R so I read it as I a private party can send the MN to him with no problem.Now the word "Licensee means C&R holder or another
    FFL holder?


    "A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State."

    Again I just want to ship it with no FFL involved it's going to a C&R holder?

    MY FFL is charging $35.00 for a transfer I have no problem paying him to do
    the transfer from the C&R holder for the Mauser 8MM rifle.The Mauser has a plastic stock and a muzzle brake and the barrel has been cut down
    "sportered" and drilled for a scope I believe it's now not a C&R rifle now
    my FFl says yes it's not a C&R rifle the seller said that it need to go to a FFl 01 that makes sence.I hope this is not to craxy of a question.Should I look for
    another FFL holder?

    Scott Hannah
  2. actionflies

    actionflies Beaverton, Oregon Member

    Likes Received:
    If the other guy is from Oregon, then you don't need to do a FFL transfer. Just ship the rifle through usps. Doing a FFL transfer or bill of sale is an option if both parties reside from the same state.