JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just make a road trip, visit your daughter and take along the toy.

Yah, someone did mention that option.
Let's see, $20 shipping for a completed lower half, she pays $20 to the FFL plus BGC, marries it to the complete upper I had shipped to her address. Vs. I spend $1500 fuel plus lodging for a road trip. Hmmmm.

="A non-licensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State." Gifting is the same as selling to the ATF and I don't believe there are any differences if it is a family member. The only exceptions seem to be if you are mailing it to yourself.

Less than a week ago I called three ATF offices - Portland, Sacramento & L.A., and asked an Investigator in each office if moving a firearm across state lines to give as a gift would violate any Federal laws. I got the same answer three times - "No." One Investigator in CA said his Father gave him some guns & I said jokingly, "Of course you notified the State…" and his answer was, "No, and I'm not going to."

[/QUOTE]

The next time an ATF agent tells you its OK to transfer a firearm, any firearm, across state lines to a recipient in another state ask them to cite the US code that allows for that in total disregard to the 68 GCA. When they can't ask them to put it in writing on official letterhead. When they won't don't be surprised.
Here is what is legal....

You can buy a long gun at a gun shop in another state if your state allows that.

You, as an individual, can send a gun ( any title 1 gun ) to a dealer in another state IF that state allows that. That dealer can then transfer it to another person.

Thats about it. There is no provision for directly transferring any gun from individual non licensee to a person in another state even if you are related to them or there is an estate that is being distributed to family members. ALL interstate transfers must go through a dealer in the recipients state OR in the originating state in the case of a long gun.

Last Edited:
Less than a week ago I called three ATF offices - Portland, Sacramento & L.A., and asked an Investigator in each office if moving a firearm across state lines to give as a gift would violate any Federal laws. I got the same answer three times - "No." One Investigator in CA said his Father gave him some guns & I said jokingly, "Of course you notified the State…" and his answer was, "No, and I'm not going to."

The next time an ATF agent tells you its OK to transfer a firearm, any firearm, across state lines to a recipient in another state ask them to cite the US code that allows for that in total disregard to the 68 GCA. When they can't ask them to put it in writing on official letterhead. When they won't don't be surprised.
Here is what is legal....

You can buy a long gun at a gun shop in another state if your state allows that.

You, as an individual, can send a gun ( any title 1 gun ) to a dealer in another state IF that state allows that. That dealer can then transfer it to another person.

Thats about it. There is no provision for directly transferring any gun from individual non licensee to a person in another state even if you are related to them or there is an estate that is being distributed to family members. ALL interstate transfers must go through a dealer in the recipient's state OR in the originating state in the case of a long gun.[/QUOTE]

When the CA DOJ records & acknowledges transfer of ownership via the Family Transfer form it satisfies their laws and I'd be more worried about them finding a relative with an unregistered gun vs. getting grief from the ATF. In my case I'm giving my son newer guns that would have required purchase via their current system. The family transfer doesn't limit the recipient to one handgun per month, it'll allow guns that aren't on the Approved Roster to be registered and makes them incredibly valuable if he ever wanted to sell them. I built a 10.5" AR pistol & installed a bullet button before it was legally transferred to my son via the CA DOJ. I had about $650 in it and he's added about $1400 more in special handguards, muzzle brakes, had portions Cerakoted, etc. Now that it's legal he could sell it via a Person-to-Person Transfer at a FFL for $10 and the buyer would have to wait 10 days. I'm guessing if he wanted to sell it, which he doesn't, it would easily fetch $2500 - $3000. I can buy a stripped Anderson lower for $35 - $45 from places that won't ship to CA and the same lower in CA is $90 and can only be registered as a rifle. Mine is an "Other" on the 4473 and a "Pistol" when the OSP BCG is run.

There are thousands & possibly even millions of unregistered guns in CA because the registration law went into effect long after people had purchased long guns & handguns. I think they were required to register AW's by a certain date just like CT & NY tried to do but in our case AW's don't apply. He built an AR rifle from a really expensive stripped lower and he's legal because it has a bullet button. He now has two AR pistols compliments of Pops and they have the required buttons as well.

What's absolutely hilarious is a Ruger Charger is considered an AW. It's a pistol but the magazine doesn't fit inside the grip per their definition of a pistol and there's no way to lock it into the receiver. If someone invented a bullet button mechanism for a Charger they might make a fortune. Naturally, that's the gun my son keeps chomping at the bit for so I told him to just move to America i.e., almost any other state than CA.

I've never done an 80% but may do so in the near future just because I can. I've been talking to someone who's friends with a machine shop owner & the machinist says, "As long as you press the button on my CNC mill to start the operation you're building it - not me." IIRC the ATF takes a different stance on that. I can buy a complete stripped lower for less than a 80% lower but I'd make one just for the novelty of it.

I've never done an 80% but may do so in the near future just because I can. I can buy a complete stripped lower for less than a 80% lower but I'd make one just for the novelty of it.

And that's why I bought the first one to make a pistol with. The second is the one I'm sending to my daughter, it's purple. Would have been easier and cheaper to send her the $$$ for a PSA Freedom rifle on sale now at $449, but I'd have missed out on all this fun. Besides, I have more of a connection to her by having put the work into it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top