JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WP_20160410_11_24_47_Pro_zps5s9heiaa.jpg
WP_20160410_12_42_44_Pro_zpsflj16zit.jpg
WP_20160410_12_45_32_Pro_zpsvy1hc4wo.jpg
WP_20160410_13_34_55_Pro_zpsi0jargej.jpg
WP_20160410_13_49_36_Pro_zpsfiqzpwad.jpg

Made an oops that affected the trigger hole but it's not going to affect the trigger.

Yeah the milling bit became loose in the drill chuck and crept a bit lower, causing a depth problem before I noticed it. I would have been able to stop it had I felt it going thru the bottom but it grabbed and jerked the lower and jig right out of the x-y vise jaws, ripping the mill thru the bottom of the lower.

Is she going to be required to pay the sale tax on the value of the firearm? If so you could send the upper to her direct and just send the lower through the ffl and only pay sales tax on value of the lower.

Why not ask her what she would like on it for a serial number?

Not sure about a sale tax on a gift. This is actually done in some states?

But yes, your suggestion of sending the upper direct is a good one! In fact, I did just that a few weeks ago. :) Since I buy complete uppers, I found one with a ss barrel, mid-length gas system, and a 1/8 twist, on sale. Just perfect for her since it will be lower maintenance, softer recoil pulse, and they can put either light bullets or heavy bullets thru it.

Great idea on the serial number... I will do that! Thanx

Family don't let family get polymer lowers. :rolleyes:

But jokes aside... If you have the intent to sell or distribute (what you'd be doing), serial will be necessary. As for marking location, unsure but couldn't hurt.

Course could be different but better safe than sorry, especially if its crossing state lines.

Keep your lower send the rest of the components in the mail to her house. Give her $50 to go buy a lower. It would probably be cheaper and less time consuming to serialize a rifle pay the extra insurance for shipping and a ffl fee.
-- if she can't watch a YouTube video on how to put the lower together the guys at the shop or her boyfriend will do it free of change I'm sure.

Keep your lower send the rest of the components in the mail to her house. Give her $50 to go buy a lower. It would probably be cheaper and less time consuming to serialize a rifle pay the extra insurance for shipping and a ffl fee.
-- if she can't watch a YouTube video on how to put the lower together the guys at the shop or her boyfriend (husband) will do it free of change I'm sure.

Nope! I appreciate your effort, but that's not the program. Daddy is building the rifle. Mostly. I'm doing the lower, the furniture, the purple paint job, and providing optics. The upper I had sent to her but I used my knowledge to get her the best option for her. I could buy a rifle on sale for her much cheaper and have it shipped direct to her FFL. But again, that's not the program. Or I could just give her $600 and tell her to go buy a rifle. But, she's a special gal and she deserves a special gift from her dad. Isn't it worth a bit of extra time and $$$ to do something special for your kid?

It's the difference between buying your kid a car, and buying an old junker that you put a new hemi in, new upholstery, new tires, super sound system, had new chrome put on, etc. Then you give that car to the kid and the old man has really done something. :cool:

Nope! I appreciate your effort, but that's not the program. Daddy is building the rifle. Mostly. I'm doing the lower, the furniture, the purple paint job, and providing optics. The upper I had sent to her but I used my knowledge to get her the best option for her. I could buy a rifle on sale for her much cheaper and have it shipped direct to her FFL. But again, that's not the program. Or I could just give her $600 and tell her to go buy a rifle. But, she's a special gal and she deserves a special gift from her dad. Isn't it worth a bit of extra time and $$$ to do something special for your kid?

It's the difference between buying your kid a car, and buying an old junker that you put a new hemi in, new upholstery, new tires, super sound system, had new chrome put on, etc. Then you give that car to the kid and the old man has really done something. :cool:

Your a Good daddy. As for the car I was forced to pay my father over kbb for his beat up old work truck or I wasn't gonna get to drive

My daddy let me use the tuna boat (Dodge 880 with pushbutton tranny) that had served as the family car. What an embarrassment to drive that to H.S.! I saved up $100 from my part time job at the fish/chips and got me an MG wagon. The Morris Minor of it's day. Cool little car if a bit underpowered. Glad I wasn't "forced" to keep the tuna boat.

I wasn't around when my daughter was car buying age.

I am looking to transfer a complete AR15 carbine to my daughter in Arkansas from here in Oregon. The build is based on a Polymer80 lower that I have milled out. Does anyone know what the requirements are for producing a serial number on it whereby it will all be legal and she can register it thru her FFL?

Do I make up a number an etch it into the lower? Or does the receiving FFL do that? Anything else I might need to know?

Thanx in advance!:)
I have been an FFL dealer for some time and I believe you will need to obtain a form from the ATF requesting a serial number. Call them and they mail it to you with the serial number they assign to your weapon. Recently several people were arrested on the east coast for building and selling un-serial number AR-15s , with out a license. Hope this helps.

Thanx. It is just weird tho that all the 80% manufacturers are saying to mark it in accordance with CFR 27xxxxxxx and I can't find any such thing. Guess I will have to call and ask. I just hate being on their radar.

My son is a lawyer and he has built his own ar-15 from scratch using an aluminum billet. You need to have a manufacturers name. Your initials will do and a serial #. If it is your first put #1. You should not transfer any guns you make. To do it legally you need a manufacturers license and the proper ATF paperwork as a manufacturer. To keep it legal help your daughter to build her own. You can supervise her step by step but she needs to do the work. D

I thought the whole idea was to have a "ghosted" AR in your daughter's hands that you had built. If so, the ghosting disappears when it gets picked up an FFL's log book, and is certainly gone when your daughter fills out the ATF 4473 form and the gun is identified on it as part of the transfer - serial number or not. And I don't know if any FFL that would handle an AR without a serial number. Some older guns made before serial numbers were required are legitimately transferred without a serial number, but those were Pre-AR days and for the most part are collectibles.

Perhaps your daughter could visit you and "make her own" under your supervision. Then she'd have a ghosted AR that her daddy helped her make - with no laws violated.

I thought the whole idea was to have a "ghosted" AR in your daughter's hands that you had built.

Perhaps your daughter could visit you and "make her own" under your supervision. Then she'd have a ghosted AR that her daddy helped her make - with no laws violated.

Nah, ghosting wasn't important. Polymer80 had colored blems on sale and I thought it would be fun to mill one out for her. At the time, I was just going to send everything to her. Oh well.

Good idea for my daughter to visit me. Would only cost me $600 in plane fare. :eek: LOL

Some older guns made before serial numbers were required are legitimately transferred without a serial number, but those were Pre-AR days and for the most part are collectibles.

thats how I thought it worked for home made guns too.
but after reading thru this thread the OP is right that most all the 80% manufacturers say on their website to serialize them if you end up transfering one. I dont know if they are just trying to cover their bubblegum but one of them quotes a letter from the ATF.... (but doesnt show the letter).

I think at this point I will side with must serializing a home made gun before transferring, it may be all ancedotal info but I see more saying its required than not. Good thread OP.

Go here for all your legal questions
https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/all-qas-category

When does a receiver need to have markings and/or serial numbers?

Receivers that meet the definition of a "firearm" must have markings, including a serial number. See 27 CFR § 478.92 (Firearm manufacturers marking requirements).

What is an "80%" or "unfinished" receiver?
"80% receiver," "80% finished," "80% complete," "unfinished receiver" are all terms referring to an item that some may believe has not yet reached a stage of manufacture that meets the definition of firearm frame or receiver found in the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA). These are not statutory terms or terms ATF employs or endorses.

Q&A Category:
Receiver Blanks
https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/all-qas-category?&&flagged=All&page=14

Receiver Blanks

When does a receiver need to have markings and/or serial numbers?

What is an "80%" or "unfinished" receiver?

Is ATF aware of the receiver blanks, commonly referred to as 80% receivers?

Have firearms made from unmarked receiver blanks been recovered after being used in a crime?

Can functioning firearms made from receiver blanks be traced?

Are "80%" or "unfinished" receivers illegal?

Are there restrictions on who can purchase receiver blank?

Are some items being marketed as non-firearm unfinished" or "80%" receivers actually considered firearms?
ave firearms made from unmarked receiver blanks been recovered after being used in a crime?

Can functioning firearms made from receiver blanks be traced?
Are "80%" or "unfinished" receivers illegal?
Are there restrictions on who can purchase receiver blank?
Are some items being marketed

MYou should not transfer any guns you make. To do it legally you need a manufacturers license and the proper ATF paperwork as a manufacturer.

Respectfully disagree. ATF CFR 27 is very very very clear on who is required to have a manufacturers license. The casual intermittent transfer of a firearm is specifically eliminated as being in the "business" therefore no license is needed. Just like those that sell a few guns from time to time on Gunbroker.com, the ATF has not defined a # of guns within a certain amount of time needed to trip the requirement into play. :) Not to say that they won't in the future, since that was what all the hoopla was about just awhile ago.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads