JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am curious, how does one go about obtaining an FFL01? I have an FFL03 but I am restricted to collecting, no resale for profit. I know a lot about C&R firearms and would love the opportunity to make a small home-based and gunshow-based business from it. I'm having issues finding the right info.

Anyone want to do an avid learner a favor? :D

I am not an expert, so this might just be smoke up the tail pipe...

But: I think it is simply doing paperwork with the ATF (some might have to be completed locally with a department). Maybe, do the paperwork, pay some price and wait in line?

This is going off of zero research or first hand experience?

30 second search yield:
http://www.fflkit.com/ (seems to be a good site for the average Joe)
http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/ (order forms from the atf)

Last Edited:
I hope a couple of the local dealers will be generous enough to enlighten me!

I have no current interest in a "brick and mortar" store, at least not just yet. I know there's the whole issue of zoning and such? I don't understand any of that. My ideal idea is to be able to sell firearms at gunshows, having my own booth. Mostly antique and collectible surplus at a decent price.

The one dealer which has impressed me the most on here is Sully with Blackwater Tactical. He seems to be a straight shooter and a stand up guy...

He might be an avenue to look at. I don't know him personally so I cannot tell you if he will walk you through the process or not (i.e. just a suggestion).

The one dealer which has impressed me the most on here is Sully with Blackwater Tactical. He seems to be a straight shooter and a stand up guy...

He might be an avenue to look at. I don't know him personally so I cannot tell you if he will walk you through the process or not (i.e. just a suggestion).

That was my backup plan, contacting local dealer directly xD

I can guarantee, the guys I would ask, I wouldnt be directly competing with (entirely different product mostly).

I want my ffl01, just received my application packet from the atf, you fill out 4 forms, send them all in, with finger print cards and a check. It seems most ffl01 holders were in some type of military, its actually one of the questions on the form. But I know some plain Jane types that got their ffl01, ill be picking their brain soon, after i get my juvi record

I want my ffl01, just received my application packet from the atf, you fill out 4 forms, send them all in, with finger print cards and a check. It seems most ffl01 holders were in some type of military, its actually one of the questions on the form. But I know some plain Jane types that got their ffl01, ill be picking their brain soon, after i get my juvi record

What did it say about requiring you to have a physical store?

Store can be at your place of residents, but atf says its can come and inspect your facility at anytime. Also asks if you rent/lease/own the property that the ffl licensee will be conducting business out of. And to provide all that information.

There are zoning issues, there are issues with having to be able to "secure" inventory, there is also the need to show intent to make a profit, not just for a personal collection, and if I recall, there is also a requirment of a business license. This is all off the top of my head when I ordered the packet for myself.

It's actually quite easy to get a dealers/manufacturers license. I have a class 07 (Manufacturer) license. First you need to have a business set up (state and city business licenses.) Then you fill out the application from the ATF. They will send you an application package for free.

Go to http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/ and select the "F 5310.12 (F7)". This kit will get you the application and the fingerprint cards. You will need to take the fingerprint cards to your local LEO and have them print you. Make sure to get a couple of them done. Send one with your application to the ATF following all their instructions.

You'll need to get something for your bound books, either paper or computer. Once you have your FFL you'll then need to get your state or city firearms dealers licenses. I'm not sure what Oregon does, but in WA we have a state license.

And as it was mentioned, (state law permitting) your place of business can also be your place of residence. I have two sets of everything because I operate my shop out of my home and I have an office for meeting customers because the county required a $5000 permit for me to have a business out of my home and I didn't feel like paying it.

I was told that ATF is no longer granting FFL's for home-businesses.... that you had to have a separate office for your business. I'm in WA State if that matters. Several people have told me this. Existing FFL holders are grandfathered in was the explanation I was given.

Sombeody have the straight dope on this?

I was told that ATF is no longer granting FFL's for home-businesses.... that you had to have a separate office for your business. I'm in WA State if that matters. Several people have told me this. Existing FFL holders are grandfathered in was the explanation I was given.

I have a home based business that I started in Seattle a couple years ago. There was nothing from the ATF saying I couldn't have a home business. I still operate out of my home as well as an office location but that's because of the county, not the ATF.

I will shortly. They just cashed my check for type 01 out of home, so in about 4-6 weeks I should be meeting with the local agent.

You need a business license and to be zoned correctly. The business lic pretty much takes care of the later.

It's all on the forms which you must order online. CLEO does not sign off, but you need to give him the 3rd copy or the 4.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top