JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Across state lines. If that is not the truth, Who is breaking the law? The buyer, or the seller? Talking about a handgun here not a rifle. Why can't private individuals deal with each other with private property Regardless of their state of residence? I'd like to know the Oregon law number so I can research this if anyone has it.
Thanks in advance.

Back in the day (before the relative federal law was passed) it was up to the states to pass laws on interstate firearms sales. Back then Oregon had passed a law stating that it was okay to sell long arms (shotguns/rifles) to residents of neighboring states (no handgun sales without ffl). However federal statutes were passed that governed interstate movement of firearms covered in Title 27 S167; 178.29 and S167; 178.30, thus prohibiting any sale/transfer of firearms across state lines through private sales.

Here is the text of those codes:

§ 178.29 Out-of-State acquisition of
firearms by nonlicensees.
No person, other than a licensed importer,
licensed manufacturer, licensed
dealer, or licensed collector, shall
transport into or receive in the State
where the person resides (or if a corporation
or other business entity,
where it maintains a place of business)
any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained
by such person outside that
State: Provided, That the provisions of
this section:
(a) Shall not preclude any person who
lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest
or intestate succession in a State other
than his State of residence from transporting
the firearm into or receiving it
in that State, if it is lawful for such
person to purchase or possess such firearm
in that State,
(b) Shall not apply to the transportation
or receipt of a rifle or shotgun
obtained from a licensed manufacturer,
licensed importer, licensed dealer, or
licensed collector in a State other than
the transferee's State of residence in
an over-the-counter transaction at the
licensee's premises obtained in conformity
with the provisions of
§ 178.96(c) and
(c) Shall not apply to the transportation
or receipt of a firearm obtained
in conformity with the provisions of
§§ 178.30 and 178.97.
[T.D. ATF–270, 53 FR 10493, Mar. 31, 1988]

§ 178.30 Out-of-State disposition of
firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell,
trade, give, transport, or deliver any
firearm to any other nonlicensee, who
the transferor knows or has reasonable
cause to believe does not reside in (or if
the person is a corporation or other
business entity, does not maintain a
place of business in) the State in which
the transferor resides: Provided, That
the provisions of this section:
(a) shall not apply to the transfer,
transportation, or delivery of a firearm
made to carry out a bequest of a firearm
to, or any acquisition by intestate
succession of a firearm by, a person
who is permitted to acquire or possess
a firearm under the laws of the State of
his residence; and
(b) shall not apply to the loan or
rental of a firearm to any person for
temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[T.D. ATF–313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57
FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2002-title27-vol1/pdf/CFR-2002-title27-vol1-sec178-31.pdf

Across state lines. If that is not the truth, Who is breaking the law? The buyer, or the seller? Talking about a handgun here not a rifle. Why can't private individuals deal with each other with private property Regardless of their state of residence? I'd like to know the Oregon law number so I can research this if anyone has it.
Thanks in advance.

That is not the truth. Private party to private party, BOTH are breaking the law. Doesn't matter if it is a rifle or a handgun.

This is FEDERAL law. see here: ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons At the bottom of every question is the specific laws in question.

Unfortunately not all FFLs know the law. A couple of years ago I went into a new gun store to check out their prices and selection. They had what was clearly an AR-15 on the wall but it had a sign saying it was an M16A2. Now I know the laws here and try to stay current on changes and I knew there hadn't been a change. Anyways I played dumb and started to ask questions and to make a long and boring story short the guy behind the counter didn't have a clue about the difference between an AR-15 and M-16 and the legality of owning a class 3 firearm in WA state.

Okay, good stuff to know. I've sold a gun on one of the auction sites to a guy in another state. After the auction, he stated he will be in my state and town soon and could I just hand over the gun. Now I know the answer.
Thanks to everyone.

He's not a resident of your state and so it would still be interstate commerce. Have him meet you at an FFL and have them complete the transaction. I was under the impression it had to be an FFL in the BUYER's state though.

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

Straight from the ATF. DO NOT COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION IN YOUR TOWN! It needs to be an FFL in HIS state of residence.

Well not if its your firearm and a family member was just borrowing it temporarly. Many people leave their firearms with their parents to safeguard while they safeguard our country overseas or are stationed at commiefornia for a bit.

Just cause it happens doesn't make it illegal... I'd definitely like to see the exception to the GCA rules that you're aware of. Any transfers between people of different states must go through an FFL, family or not.

Just cause it happens doesn't make it illegal... I'd definitely like to see the exception to the GCA rules that you're aware of. Any transfers between people of different states must go through an FFL, family or not.

You have it right just cause it happens doesnt make it illegal. The spirit of the law is much stronger and righteous than any letter of the law has ever been, right down to the T even when that T follows an A & precedes an F. ;)

He's not a resident of your state and so it would still be interstate commerce. Have him meet you at an FFL and have them complete the transaction. I was under the impression it had to be an FFL in the BUYER's state though.

"A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer."

Straight from the ATF. DO NOT COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION IN YOUR TOWN! It needs to be an FFL in HIS state of residence.

Not quite. The answer you gave is NOT to the question asked.

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

So the question is obtaining a firearm from out of state. This says you can legally have it shipped but it has to go to an FFL for transfer.

The question the #10 asked was "if a buyer was from out of state and met him could he just give the gun to the buyer. The answer is no, but he CAN legally transfer it at ANY FFL (as long as it is a long gun).

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Here is the link to all of these again, ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

You have it right just cause it happens doesnt make it illegal. The spirit of the law is much stronger and righteous than any letter of the law has ever been, right down to the T even when that T follows an A & precedes an F. ;)

Yep, I misstyped :/

The way the law is enforced and written makes it illegal. Break the law at your own peril.

The auction winner has provided a FFL licensee back home in his home state and I'll ship it from a FFL here. I think it's legal for a private person (non FFL) to ship a handgun to a FFL in another state but UPS and FEDEX really sock it to you. With $1400 insurance, was going to be over $100 to ship 800 miles! Most gun shops have paperwork filed with USPS and they can ship handguns for $30-40 through USPS. I'll use one and pay his fee. Still much cheaper than shipping myself.
Thanks for all the input. Very interesting reading.

Thank heavens you listened to the advice and are doing it legally. I can see someone in a law enforcement agency trying to get people to break the law...or some mayor's office, maybe...not that Bloomy would ever do that....

Certain posts in thread have been deleted and everyone questioning firearms intersate sales laws please read.... <broken link removed>

Certain posts in thread have been deleted and everyone questioning firearms intersate sales laws please read.... <broken link removed>

I was very close to breaking the forum's rules with my posting. I thought the members would be interested in hearing how a gun shop owner gave me the wrong advice on shipping a handgun. I apologize to all and will try harder to follow the forum rules and of course, the law.

Just out of curiosity...which local FFL was it? I'd be very interested to find out.

I'll PM that info. to you. He was nice enough about answering my question but sure wrong. I'm so glad I found out before acting on it. I just received my CHL and I would sure hate to screw up my life over ignorance of the law. I have another question but I'm kind of worried about asking it on here. I read the forum rules that "bubblegumin" about the law is prohibited. Maybe I'll PM one of you knowledgeable guys.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top