JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone recognize this handguard?:
20190512_171712.jpg
I think it's from MWI, but can't verify that. My question is really: How do I get this thing off?

The holes in the back seem to be a clue, but no AR tool or barrel nut wrench (that I have) will fit it. Almost seems like there's some special spanner wrench for it... like for tightening down the disc on a grinder, but I don't even know who to contact to get one.
Any ideas?
20190512_171749.jpg 20190512_171734.jpg

I think you're right about the spanner . The holes in the back are gas tube passages , built into the barrel nut . I dont think its Midwest......reminds me of Yankee Hill Machine but not sure . It may spin onto the barrel nut as well and the spanner might spin the entire tube off........

I think it's the notches on the ring that the proprietary spanner wrench keys into.
If you don't want to search/buy the spanner wrench, you may be able to bump it loose with a hardwood block and hammer.

If you don't care about saving it, forget the hardwood and use something else.

Makes sense about the holes being for the gas tube. I also thought the notches on the ring were a clue. They're very shallow, but I see no other reason for their existence.
Yep.
I think the ring acts as a locking ring and once loosened, the handguard unscrews off of the proprietary barrel nut.
Hopefully you won't have to fight Loctite.

get it in a vice block, put a strap or strap wrench on the tube and go counter clockwise ......should do it .
I'm gonna try that until it makes me uncomfortable... then I'll take it to someone w the correct tool(s). I dont want to tweak the upper because I went at it like a gorilla.
Looking at YHMs website, it looks to be a version of one of their tubes which requires a special wrench to install/remove. At $35 it might be cheaper to take it to someone who already has it.

I have one that is very similar at home. The HG threads on the barrel nut once the lock ring is removed. You should be able to get it off using the hardwood method mentioned earlier or a large pair of channel locks with electrical tape over the jaws to prevent marring/marking up the lock nut. I wouldnt think there would be any locktite on there, but I guess you never know.

I'm gonna try that until it makes me uncomfortable... then I'll take it to someone w the correct tool(s). I dont want to tweak the upper because I went at it like a gorilla.
Looking at YHMs website, it looks to be a version of one of their tubes which requires a special wrench to install/remove. At $35 it might be cheaper to take it to someone who already has it.
Good plan

The ring is a nut that secures the handguard to the upper.
I have found that a bicycle bottom bracket wrench (link below) has helped with both these nuts and the the buffer tube nut. Should be about $12. If you want to prevent marring the nut surface, add blue tape.

c2xs2JHMqsMF9cJyfDGYDTcqkEYeanZTw4AtUJNO18F7OzQIUC3EWlEREo7FMz2o1QPgiQ6oV7RNY6DmrRmyh24fnru2EodhUvUvvR4bfPKq08fYgatJyrK3_ypPgOl-mDpzcR0CwcLgNT1yx0h55B8usj_jMx0qNt7gI39PJkYwtOM-lLfCpw75_3hOCVozZsUbVrBn8j28UowAQ_NV=s1000-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

Now that we've established that it pretty much just threads on I should be able to break it free ... maybe.
I'd rather not destroy the thing, but I'd rather hurt it than damage the reciever or barrel.
So far I haven't been able to try any of the suggestions you guys have made, working all night tonight and tomorrow looks busy too... but I should be able to work in a few min to play w it... gonna take my old Chrysler through DEQ, that always rags me out a bit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top