Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fewer Guns in Public Means More Freedom?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by rufus, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

As the California Legislature attempts to deal with the recent upsurge of citizens exercising their 2nd amendment rights by banning open carry altogether, the usual suspects fire up their propaganda machines.

2. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

Wow. Sounds like another reason to not go to California. I don't open carry but I don't think California will be happy until they systematically make more and more regulations on firearms until they are completely illegal. They forget that they are still part of America unless they need more federal funding.

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I wonder how the weather is on planet Shilling? She sure doesn't live on the same planet I do.

4. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

As long as the citizens of California continue to elect the same liberal dogooders into office they will continue to reap what the sow. Whether there is a D or an R behind their name makes little difference. If we want to keep our rights we all need to wake up before it is too late if it isn't already.

5. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

This article really got my attention because of the Huntington Beach reference. I grew up in Huntington Beach and am driving back down there next week, so I've been looking for the story in the LA Times without luck.

Turns out it was Hermosa Beach, not Huntington. Can't even get the easy stuff right.

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

What people fail to realize is that you cannot have any of your other freedoms without the 2nd Amendment.

Sure, there are always going to be cases of people negligently leaving their gun out...and a tragedy ensues. Nevertheless, if you put in context actually how many deaths that accidental guns actually cause, people would wonder why it makes the news at all.

More children die each year from drowning or choking than from guns. What about leaving your car keys out for kids to take off with your car and run people over? How many times do you hear about some kid driving a car around?

Who cares? Even I oppose open carry...but it should be our right to do so none the less! If guns scare you so much, move to Canada! Be a cop in the UK! This is AMERICA.

Freekin Liberal hippy commies think that world peace can be achieved if everyone was given a hug and that crime only happens to criminals...yet these are the same people that scream at the police for not protecting them and the government for causing 9-11-01.

Imagine if that editor had to submit any of his writtings to a government sensor to review it before it could be published. He would be outragged at the obvious impairment to his Bill of Rights by the sensorship of the media (also known as your 1st Amendment).

I'm going to get off my soapbox now...it just angers me that people warp public opinion to their own biasness rather than just state "This is how I feel on this subject..." and leave it at that. Instead, us gun-nuts are seen as potential murders for simply wanting to ensure that we protect ourselves and our loved ones from both a tyrannical government an from deadly thugs.

One of the steps to control is to demoralize your enemy...make them seem less than human to sway public opinion in your favor. That way, nobody will shed a tear when their Civil Liberties are thrown to the side...all in the name of "Safety" and "Security".

*Riot Out*

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I think the article was fairly well written. I think she brought up some valid points, some that I even agree with. For the most part, I think she was WAY off base, as her assumptions and judgements are based on all her statements being true, which they are not. But some of her points are valid and are some of the reasons that I choose not to open carry.

Unfortunately she says that the concealed carry system in California works, as it obviously does not, as it's a "may issue" state rather than a "shall issue" state. If there was a national standard "shall issue" concealed carry law or better yet, a law simply saying that concealed carry is legal without a permit (similar to AK, VT, and now AZ), I would probably be completely opposed to open carry...

8. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

Have to agree with MBear about the open carry without a permit. I'm not afraid of guns. Guns aren't the problem, it's the people who carry them, or own them, or whatever them. A gun is the same as a car, but cars aren't seen as big a problem as guns. A gun/car is just an inanimate object until guided by SOMEONE's hands. Certainly there are fools who don't need to own a gun, or drive a car. It should be a case by case basis on who should carry. But, guns in the open are also a deterent. Would YOU mess with someone who you KNEW was carrying? IF someone, intent on commiting a crime, walks into a liqour store and see's 2, 3 or more guns, they'll think twice. Unless their doped out of their skull and unable to comprehend what their actions will cause.

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I believe the weather is calling for gusts of lead.

I also noticed this on their website:
    I like how vague it is and makes no references. Is it for LA County, the US, a neighborhood, people involved in drive by shootings? I'm guessing that for the US, auto accidents would probably be number 1 for this demographic.

10. Riot

Yes, I would just shoot them first...

11. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

If they ban cars in public, there would be no more drive by shootings.

12. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

They have made concealrd carry so hard to do in CA That open carry is a better option. At least it is easier to do legaly. It seems asthough the autor believes that there is an inherent right to treat someone without a gun rudely as someone with a gun would just shoot their rude arse. This is simply not the case though it may sound tempting it is not reality.:(

13. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Every time you vote for a democrat you get this same kind of logic. It doesn't stop with just gun control, it's about people control and that means you.

jj

14. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

The crime rate in AZ is going down. guese what CA is going up. wonder why? there not going back south just north and east.

15. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Man, that would be the icing on the cake. If Arizona's crime rate plummets with the remains of SB1070 in place, that should open a few more eyes!
    Especially if Kalifornia's goes up!

16. Riot

Media will just say that Arizona is driving their criminals out of state and dropping them off in California...

17. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

Truth Speak,,,Look it up

18. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

They are chasing their criminals off. California is welcoming them with open arms. That makes a very strong statement for laws like Arizona's.

19. wence5

wence5 Vancouver, Washington, United States Active Member

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Kalifornia! But then again if the other two lefty state to the north continue their path of electing MORE lefties, we will be looking at the same bull flop! We aren't that far away from that now.

20. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Oregon is not great for gun laws, but we're still a damn far way away from California. We have restrictions that I don't agree with, but, we can own (and use, sorry WA) NFA items. We are a shall issue CCW state. With a few urban restrictions, open carry is legal for those of you who choose that option (I don't). We can hunt with bullets containing lead. We don't have a cool down period before we pick up a gun. We don't have to have extra state paperwork completed to transfer a gun to us (beyond the 4473). We don't have to find guns that are on a state approved list. We don't have a limit on number of guns and ammo we can buy a month. We don't have to be fingerprinted for ammo. We have no gun registration. We can still buy guns FTF without paperwork.

Honestly, I would love to see concealed carry. I would love to see them remove the charge for background checks rather than increase it. I would love to see them remove the restrictions on non-FFL FTF transactions at gunshows. But overall, I feel pretty lucky to live in Oregon rather than California...