Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Few ??s bout ar-15

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Muddslinger12, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

1) What is a good brand? Best brand for the money thats still reliable? (Disregard "black friday" "deals" just looking for comparison at "normal" market prices)

2) Also are all "Pmags" interchangeable even between different manufactures? or do you HAVE to buy the colt mags for the colt AR?

3)Building VS buying complete. Is it easy to DIY or does it require gunsmith?

Thanks!

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

for AR15s mags are interchangeable - one thing to note is that some of the mag loaders won't fit P-mags. As for building them a lower is fairly simple and uppers aren't all that difficult - just need a few of the right tools - for the upper you will need a vice block of some sort to hold the upper without marring the surface. You will need a barrel wrench and torque wrench to do the barrel installation, a few roll pin punches, small hammer, some vice grips or channel locks can be helpful, black tape can help avoid scratching the finish when installing pins, etc... I'm sure that I have left things out.
    There was another thread that had links to AR15dotcom with build instructions / vid links so you might want to look there.

3. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

1) I have a lot of experience with ARs. I have shot them in competition for 20 years. My opinion and the general consensus among many High Power shooters
    is that Rock River is one of the better brands. Some will tell you it does not matter but my Rock River lowers fit tight with any of the uppers I own.
    2) Mags? Magpul are the best in my opinion of course.
    3) Building your own is a lot of fun and you can customize it to what you want. Endless variety. I like Yankee Hill Machine products such as float tubes and pop up sights.
    You can purchase complete uppers and save some money.

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Y'all left out that he needs to not be in a hurry as most everything will be on back order.
    And don't worry about what you build with because you will change it all out within the first year anyway.You won't be able to help yourself on this.

I just put another one together. It's a lot of fun.
    I think a short list of do not buys would be easier,as there are a lot of machine shops putting out some pretty good parts now.

And since you asked about magazines,the AR 10/308 mags don't all fit each other,but the AR15/556 do.

5. Muddslinger12

Def no rush on it I will prob end up buying used anyways.

Ok.... So What Brands should I avoid? (Anything they would sell at Walmart? lol)

So are they pretty much the same design brand to brand or are there any significant changes in between the different brands? More importantly is there like a top "best bang for your buck" AR or is that more of a matter of opinion?

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

Upper=$300=/-
    blem lower=$70 or $250+/- with everything
    Add a BCG and charging handle-$150+/-

Lowers are easy to assemble, then just pin the upper on. About $700 gets you into a mil-spec AR.

Wally world sells Windham Weapons rifles at good prices. Great AR's but not mil-spec, if that's important to you.

7. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Colt LE6920s are an awesome deal right now. They are $1,100 at Wally World, Northwest Armory and Curt's Discount.

There is no difference between the ARs at Wally World and anywhere else. They are not 'seconds'.

Keith

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I like Spike's Tactical. Good value on an excellent product. The challenge is finding them in stock. AIM Surplus Home gets regular shipments, so get on their email notification.

There are several manufacturers who make compatible mags for the AR platform. Magpul is just one of the better ones.

Assembling the lower was easy for me, YMMV, but I'd think most literate people could do it by reading one of the guides on AR15.com. Building the upper is a little more involved and requires more specialized tools. I "built" the lower and bought an assembled upper.

Some building guides:

New and Improved Guide to Building a Lower - AR15.COM

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

9. rds801

rds801 Portland Member

Spikes is a good brand. That's what I have. I "built" a Spikes lower and bought a Spikes complete upper. I ordered a barreled PSA upper a few days ago to go with a PSA lower I have. Most people love their PSA rifles. I'm expecting the same feeling.

Any AR15 mag should work with any AR15. I have mostly PMAGS. I get whatever goes on sale. Bought 8 Gen2 PMAGS recently when the Gen3 came out because of price drop.

Putting a lower together is pretty straight forward. I haven't tried assembling an upper yet.

10. TacticalMark

TacticalMark Seattle Member

For complete rifles, Colt LE6920, BCM M4, Noveske, and Spikes.
    Yes, Pmags in 5.56 will work in any AR lower. Pmags are your best mag for the money
    No gunsmith needed, a few special tools as mentioned and is for the most part simple. Do your research first and make a parts list.

Good luck and have fun.

11. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

I'd remove Spikes from the list and add the caveat that PMAG's dont run in ALL lowers, but the number they don't work with is very few.

12. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

13. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I have RRAs with only 1 complaint. Buffer tubes are commercial and sloppy fit. Replaced with an ATI and now stock slides like it's on bearings. Switched to Magpul CTR stock.

14. PDXSparky

Really? Why?

15. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have been a little bit more clear. I don't think Spikes is bad but the post I quoted listed "Colt LE6920, BCM M4, Noveske, and Spikes". Spikes is no where near the level of BCM, Noveske, LMT, etc. imho. They do make some very good products.

16. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

A lot of people, (myself included) like the S&W M&P 15 Sport Model for a "no frills, bang for the buck" AR-15. It lacks the dust cover and forward assist that is common to most AR-15's and may not be technically "Mil-Spec", but mine has been 100% reliable and I really like the R5 melonite barrel they come with. My Sport is very accurate even with lightweight varmint bullets, something that can't be said for a lot of AR's. Even the 40 gr V-Maxes and Ballistic Tips are around MOA at 100 yards for 5 shot groups from the bench. I paid $599 for mine a year or so ago, and my buddy just picked one up from the same store I bought mine at for $649. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

17. Lespaulplayr

Lespaulplayr olympia Member

rock river arms or a used Bushmaster...both great black rifles.....

18. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

Spikes is my choice for a lower. I prefer it over my LE government colt lower so much I sold the colt. I'm running the colt upper with a spikes nickel boron BCG. I also have a spikes M4LE and it preforms just like my colt, flawless and accurate. It's just opinions anymore, so many quality products out there.

19. Muddslinger12

So is the spikes a "piston driven" AR? Or Direct impingement?

Which of these mentioned is "piston driven"? And how do you tell could someone post a pic and show me what to look for?

Is a "cheap" piston driven AR better than a "expensive" Direct impingement (or no such thing as a cheap piston AR?)

I am interested in something reliable like a AK but shoots 5.56/.223 rounds

20. PDXSparky

Direct impingement.

I don't think any of the mentioned mentions brands is piston driven?

There must be a reason that that vast majority of AR's are DI and not piston. I don't have personal experience, but I have read that piston driven is a solution in search of a problem.

Maybe just buy an AK chambered for 5.56? A properly maintained AR should give you no reliability issues. You aren't going to be taking it out and dragging it thru the mud and sand in battle conditions.