JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking at ferrocerium rods online and i was wondering what do u look at when looking for a good one. I have no experience with them so i dont know what materials or whatever makeup a good one. If you have links to good sources that would be great also.

Are you wanting to make your own firestarter kits? Are you trying to make a flint striker deal?

I don't know where to get bulk rod, but maybe from Airgas, or a welding distributor.

There are two basic types: a regular ferro rod throws sparks. This is the most common type. Light My Fire brand Swedish Firesteels found at REI are this type.

The 2nd type are called Misch Metal and they throw globs of molten metal that stay burning longer and will light harder to light tinder. They also get worn down faster and require a sharper striker. Misch metal has magnesium in it which helps it burn longer.

Firesteel / Ferro Rod Blanks : Going Gear, Gearing you up for the outdoors

I prefer rods that have some type of storage in the handle so that you can keep tinder with it at all times. These are made with the more conventional, spark-throwing rods:

StrikeForce Fire Starter Orange [uststrikeforceor] - $23.95 : Going Gear, Gearing you up for the outdoors

RAT Cutlery Fire Kit - Mil-Spec Green Anodized Fire Starter - Knifecenter.com The deslcription says misch metal, but the manufacturer has switched to a conventional ferro rod.

Well, It should last a long time unless you are making fires with it every day. The rod will take thousands of strikes, but it usually takes several strikes to light tinder unless you are using really flammable tinder like petroleum jelly cotton balls or commercial tinder like the Wetfire tinder. I really like the Wetfire tinder, it will burn for several minutes, even in the rain. The trick is to scrape the top of the tinder with your knife, so that it will catch a spark. You can cut it into 4ths to make it last longer too.

WetFire Tinder - 8 Cubes [ustwetfire] - $7.95 : Going Gear, Gearing you up for the outdoors

StrikeForce Fire Starter Orange [uststrikeforceor] - $23.95 : Going Gear, Gearing you up for the outdoors

I like this one alot I like them being stored in something with a lanyard. So you think thats is a good kind that doesnt wear fast?

I have several of these on hand,bought them back when they were using the Gerber name.
Think i paid $12.00 ea for them and it included a little cube of white stuff to use as tinder,they work,the price was decent.
Was surprised at the shower of sparks you can get out of one strike with little effort.
RK

I picked up a dozen or so (rods only) from some guy on ebay and they worked great. Easy way to set one up is drill a piece of dowel and seal with some Gorilla Glue. Use an old hacksaw blade as a striker. You can also get fancy and carve a holder or use some antler etc.

Here's a real quick and easy one to make. I think it ran a couple bucks total if that. I gave some away as gifts. Folks love 'em especially the kids.

View attachment 202919

just for giggles I bought one of the FireSteel, I think 1/4 x 3 and paid around 2 bucks and a few bucks for shipping, got it earler this year, and I must admit they work really good.

I think I will order some of the 3/8 X 3 ones, they fit in my wallet...

Ken

I picked up a dozen or so (rods only) from some guy on ebay and they worked great. Easy way to set one up is drill a piece of dowel and seal with some Gorilla Glue. Use an old hacksaw blade as a striker. You can also get fancy and carve a holder or use some antler etc.

Here's a real quick and easy one to make. I think it ran a couple bucks total if that. I gave some away as gifts. Folks love 'em especially the kids.

View attachment 202893

thats cool i should try that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews