JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that wild pigs are a problem, and devastate to local wildlife, and cause erosion, but they are tasty! I wish I had a place to hunt them in Oregon.

If one were to hunt these critters with a lever-action, what would be the best choice: .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .30/30 WCF, or .300 Savage?

Back in the 70s in Central Calif, my brothers friends hunted what they were calling Javelina with .357 and .44 mag revolvers... good sport in dense cover, they usually had a guy with a rifle as backup, but I can't imagine that would be a perfect thing in dense cover.

I'm thinkin the bigger (bore, not boar) the better. Some of those piggies are small, but there are big Russian boars that can go 900lbs and pigs are mean!!!

.they probly need some fresh goats too

... of marrying age!

Do we have feral hogs running loose causing a rukus in the Northwest ?

Hawaii

Last Edited:
Edible, yes.. Tasty? Not so much. Under 100 pounds avoids the effects of them eating themselves. These are feral animals and will eat anything and everything including their dead brothers and sisters.
To make them edible do this: Soak in ICE WATER!! Along with ½ cup of vinegar and an 18 - 20 oz container of real lemon juice. Soak large portions of meat for 2 to 3 days - changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out. Male hormones produced by the boars makes the meat taste foul so shooting sows is preferable.
You will also want to tenderize the pork before seasoning and cooking (use a meat mallet). Roast on a spit over a wood fire until well done. Drink your beer upwind.. the cooking smoke stinks like.... well, dead pigs.
Wild Boar meat makes pretty decent sausage when mixed with sow or pork bellies.
No bag limit on shootin 'em.. the state was considering paying a bounty to hunters for every snout or set of ears brought in. Peta evidently began to whine so the legislature tabled the notion.

Hogzilla, was the product of a boar and an escaped domestic who had access to acorns and got pretty big - est 800 lbs

The good ol' boy said it was huge, they didn't believe, so he dug it up.

wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fen%2F3%2F36%2FHogzilla.jpg

Wiki has a story.

No opinions either way, just my experience. Bought a friend a hunt over eastern OR for Christmas and joined him. We both took nice, smaller hogs. Made sausage that was killer, chops, roasts and hams were all delicious too. Mine took 2 broadheads to the heart to stop him, but the end results are picture below. Sure I prefer elk but.......... 9BB9A5F6-5DF8-44B4-9306-4717C6B2A2C9.jpeg 0B4B7E61-D511-4330-8D17-BA45DD69076A.jpeg B24D8498-0F78-40B7-A4AA-35B747BE8319.jpeg 003D8028-F730-4611-9F8C-4ED5875F2CE9.jpeg

Do we have feral hogs running loose causing a rukus in the Northwest ?
George Orwell in Animal Farm said:
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

We definitely have some. But not of the porcine variety in Portland.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top