JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boar are good eating but just the small ones. The big ones get too much flavor from hormones. There are scent glands all over. Try for the ones that are about 100lbs, they tend to be yearlings. Shoot the big ones for trophies.

357 is on the edge of too small for a frontal shot. The bone in the head which may be down and heading for you, is like armor. You may kill it but it might not know it's dead for a while.

30-30 is good but you need a very strong bullet. Same with savage 300. These are not varmint.

I used a Mauser sporter in 8mm and it was fine. King of the hunt though is 45-70. Very versatile. You can load hot or slow but a 325gr bullet works great. Highly recommend.

If I go for pigs again I'll invest that way.

Also get a gun you can beat on. Most pig gets taken on game trails through thickets.

Happy hunting.

I remember about 15 years ago there was much ado about feral hogs out on the Olympic Peninsula. My opinion, based on the number of hogs I've seen (zero) is that WDFW and the Montesano chamber of commerce got together to spur license sales and tourism/hunter money into an area that sure could use it.
Still don't know anyone who's seen a hog in this state.

It is indeed a very nice handling, finally made rifle High capacity for a .45/70 too. I didn't care to part with it, but we just had bought acreage/home, had projects, and a little girl who entered the world, so I cleared some of the guns out of the same.

'gratz on rifle. :)
What is barrel length and capacity, if I may ask?
Beautiful!

What is barrel length and capacity, if I may ask?
Beautiful!

Barrel length was 26". Capacity was 9+1. Info here. Cheers.

70480_1895CB_Right.png

Can't speak for other states but all indications are that that the population of feral pigs in Oregon is drastically down. Latest reports are that the number is down from a high of around 3000 to under 200. I'd applaud anyone's efforts in getting the remainder, but I'm not anticipating being a front-line soldier fighting back some sort of pigpocalypse any time soon.

Anything with Varmintnator in the title should do well! I have hunted them in North Central Cali, mostly with a .243 Win, or a 6.5X55 Swede using fast and light soft points! Some of those piggies get hefty, so I always had my Back up .308 with 20 rounds of pain ready to go!
Wacked them with a Garand a few times, and the .375 Weatherby, they don't get back up after getting wacked by a 350 gr softpoint!
A .45/70 is also good medicine, and those lightning fast follow ups from a lever seem to be just about perfection! I would think a .44 Mag would do the job nicely, especially with a loaded tube of them behind the first one! ;)

I'm currently in S. Carolina and my BIL has 300 acres here. There are many hogs in the area. The neighbors grand son killed six last fall on the property, but there are many more needing removal. They tear up everything. I saw 4 of then the other rooting around in the ditch along the high way. I'm ready to hunt...............

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top