JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah. They were SO plentiful in Oregon at one point that at the very peak of the ODFW's "Anti-Pig" campaign their WEBSITE had to borrow a File Photograph from the State of Wisconsin.

They do exist. here, but in phantom numbers.and diminishing.
I don't really want them here.
But ODFW's campaign was largely political and at face-value hypocritical toward ODFW's OWN PRACTICES!

They were on a noble crusade against high-fence hunting.

I agree with that point of view.

But I did hunt on the high fence ranch they targeted. Twice. I made my own hunt by insisting to kill a mature male Russian Boar with a bow and arrow.

Both times I hunted that rugged ranch, saw the pigs, never got close, and had a helluva time.

And so I don't agree with what ODFW did against that ranch.

I spent a day in the Bayou of Louisiana, hunting them. Tracking and watching.
They are destructive, destructive, destructive!
Finally rustled some up at sundown. Those little piggies (two not so small) went from 0 to about 30mph in no time flat. To see them cut and weave among the trees there was truly impressive.
With a bow, I stood no chance. I have built two ARs for piggies (6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel). Friends who hunt them in Texas say a 223 doesn't always work, especially if you shoot them in the fatty breast plate.

Last Edited:
Keep em under 120 lbs and chances are high the meat'll be good.

I used to shoot em from my back porch, but they became so plentiful they were wrecking my land - They would tear it up so bad it looked like it'd been root plowed.

So I had it all fenced.

No more destruction, but also no more feral pig meat.

I got rid of my last one years* ago when my daughter was born. But maybe I have an excuse for again. :D

* It was a Marlin 1895 CB and looked like this:

e7f99e6dea7a6d659848e11acb747fe2.jpg

I have that very one. Last JM year. Awesome gun.

It is indeed a very nice handling, finally made rifle High capacity for a .45/70 too. I didn't care to part with it, but we just had bought acreage/home, had projects, and a little girl who entered the world, so I cleared some of the guns out of the same.

'gratz on rifle. :)

Those wild pigs are terrible for the riparian areas. They tear up all of the plants along the riverside and make wallows on the edges, causing the streams to loose their cooling shade and turn muddy (bad for salmon and steelhead.)

Kill every single one you see and then kill some more. Use them for crab bait, garden fertilizer, or cook them thoroughly to avoid trichinosis, just kill them.

Welp, finally get to live out my "Rambo: First Blood" fantasy were I plummet out of a tree with my huge survival knife spear to kill the wild boar passing beneath.
firstbloodrambo_2040pyxurz_opt.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads