JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So do any forum members here have in their lives any fence-sitters, or even outright haters, that they are trying to bring to the light side? I personally have a boss that recently picked up his first pistol, a Smith and Wesson Sigma (wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey, gotta start somewhere) and I've got him interested in building his own AR, and I've given him a few catalogs from Brownells and Windham weaponry. In other news, my wife and I just attended a combined Oregon/Utah class (I already have my Oregon license, needed my Utah, but I took the Oregon portion anyway so that my wife wouldn't be on her own) and she just got her first pistol, a SCCY CPX-1, in pink ;) So anyways, if anyone has a fence-sitter they are working on, I'd love to hear about it!

So do any forum members here have in their lives any fence-sitters, or even outright haters, that they are trying to bring to the light side? I personally have a boss that recently picked up his first pistol, a Smith and Wesson Sigma (wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey, gotta start somewhere) and I've got him interested in building his own AR, and I've given him a few catalogs from Brownells and Windham weaponry. In other news, my wife and I just attended a combined Oregon/Utah class (I already have my Oregon license, needed my Utah, but I took the Oregon portion anyway so that my wife wouldn't be on her own) and she just got her first pistol, a SCCY CPX-1, in pink ;) So anyways, if anyone has a fence-sitter they are working on, I'd love to hear about it!
one of my life long best friends is a lefty. a gun shootin lefty. raised in a liberal family. a good family mind you. his parents are awesome people. we just go shoot. we dont talk about politics. i know he votes against gun control but usually votes for democraps which to me doesnt make sense??? idk i respect his beliefs and he respects mine. he WILL NOT vote for hildebeast:p tho. i know that for sure.

I have a business acquaintance who has asked me about guns. She and her husband are very liberal and he is a gun hater. She is afraid of her mentally ill brother and is considering getting a gun in the home for self protection. She has asked to come shoot but so far has made excuses when I have invited her. I will be helping run a ladies only program at our range and I am hoping she will attend. I have mentioned it to her and so far she seems interested. We'll see.

I know what seems to be acres of fence-sitters.
When talking guns to them , I find that I need to go slow and work on a positive message over time.
Defining gun terms like Semi-auto and Full-auto , explaining gun laws , explaining how firearms / bullets work in real life vs. how they are shown in movies and on t.v. etc ... Is very important
One on one range time outside followed by range clean up of yours and others shooting garbage works well.

A very important thing to remember is that their first and maybe last experience with a firearm or gun owner could be with you , so be careful with what you say and be mindful of how you present your guns. When you talk to someone about guns, often you may end up representing all gun owners.
Andy

I have a business acquaintance who has asked me about guns. She and her husband are very liberal and he is a gun hater. She is afraid of her mentally ill brother and is considering getting a gun in the home for self protection. She has asked to come shoot but so far has made excuses when I have invited her. I will be helping run a ladies only program at our range and I am hoping she will attend. I have mentioned it to her and so far she seems interested. We'll see.

Those are the people that probably shouldn't have a gun, Unless they are 100% sure they will pull the trigger on family...

I'm obviously not anti gun as a defensive option but I know too many people who either own a gun or want to own one "just to scare people away". If your friend has not taken you up on training opportunities then I would venture a guess that she isn't scared enough to pull the trigger when the time comes.

I could be way off base, just how I inturpited your post. If that's is in fact the case, I would advocate for hand to hand defense and add a taser to her Arsenal.

Anti's are like drunks - you won't convert one or the other until something happens that opens their minds to the idea; that's when you have an opportunity to educate and convert.

Those are the people that probably shouldn't have a gun, Unless they are 100% sure they will pull the trigger on family...

I'm obviously not anti gun as a defensive option but I know too many people who either own a gun or want to own one "just to scare people away". If your friend has not taken you up on training opportunities then I would venture a guess that she isn't scared enough to pull the trigger when the time comes.

I could be way off base, just how I inturpited your post. If that's is in fact the case, I would advocate for hand to hand defense and add a taser to her Arsenal.

It's hard to know how anyone will truly react to something until it happens. She is not close to her brother at all, and I think she could do what she needs to do if she has training. My own feeling is that what is stopping her so far is her husband. He is incredibly anti-gun, while she is at least willing to learn about them even if she decides ultimately they are not for her.
I would at least like her to come try shooting...to get her over her dislike of guns and perhaps even convert her husband:).

@JeremyK
Sigmas were not so good, but the current iteration SD VE are nice.

Both would benefit from the 25c Trigger job ( search it https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=25c+Trigger+Job ) You might win some understanding if you help your boss thru the videos and the process of a detail strip.

Use Mag Polish from your car care kit, some mirofibre cloths, a roll of tape as the armorers block and you can get by with an allen wrench instead of a punch.
Use a sharpie to demonstrate the metal on metal contact points
DO NOT LET HIM USE POWER TOOLS, unless you are machinists in which case he probably doesn't need any help.

I think many people are fascinated that pistols work, but have no idea how.

Back in the day, we'd do similar stuff for cars, you can buy a car, but you needed to know how to do basic maintenance = even if you wouldn't do it most of the time. I have no clue how these plastic engines work any more; and if you change something you are somehow violating a copyright?

Hopefully, my post wasn't preachy. My own mother is one of those "I need a gun for protection, BUT I could never kill anyone..." Types. :)oops:Shame and Embarrassment:oops: - Although to her credit she noticed my interest in guns very early and tasked my grandfather to teach me how to shoot at age 4)

I've taken her shooting but will absolutely not help her buy a gun because her intent would be to shoot into the air or general direction of an intruder - what we all know is the opposite of what is ideal.

"It's hard to know how anyone will truly react to something until it happens"

I'll agree if we are talking about others, we should all know without a doubt that we will use our weapons to protect our lives and train hard for a day we all hope will never happen.

I'll shoot if I'm in danger, family or not;) (I think I only have one relative that could maybe take me in a fight so thankfully I don't think it will ever come to that for me).

BTW - don't rule out tasers, you can put a lot of hurt on someone with one of those little things (as long as you don't wave it around and advertise you have it and wait for them to be within an arms length or closer.

Best of luck! Family violence and drama sucks. And it's the Holidays again:confused:

Believe you me, I am always working on the fence sitters! But that's because I am always encouraging people to become more personally responsible and self-sufficient in society.

Fear is the big driving wedge against the power of an informed electorate. I aim to reduce fear through personal experience with whatever people have an aversion to. People listen because they see I walk my talk.

The last staunch Anti I invited out shooting after having lunch together here in Portland was Penny Okamoto. I believe my old representative in Tucson, AZ and her husband, Mark Kelley, are doing the same to remove wedges in the electorate as responsible owners who regularly shoot guns themselves.

I'll be around the In-Laws for the Holidays and if there is a fence they are 100 yards left of it... They are all extremely bitter of my full convert of their sibling/daughter:p.

For all other members with obligations to spend time with the head-up bum liberal In Laws this season.

May the Force be with you...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top