JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was just getting out of bed this morning to take my boys crabbing and got a good jolt. Never felt one before, was pretty strange for the dogs, barked and didn't know what the F was happening. LOL, woke most people up in the house, was silent, but shook a little bit. The epicenter was about 13 miles from our house.

Was just getting out of bed this morning to take my boys crabbing and got a good jolt. Never felt one before, was pretty strange for the dogs, barked and didn't know what the F was happening. LOL, woke most people up in the house, was silent, but shook a little bit. The epicenter was about 13 miles from our house.
You bean flicker you.

JUST KIDDING!!

My instantaneous serial reactions: "Lol funny!", "Wait, what?" "Huh... oh yeah. Some people haven't."

<Insert bad virgin joke here>

Wellll, let me tell you about the big one in '64! :D

Been through a few little ones up here. Good one in 65 but I was on the school bus and we did not even know anything happened till we got to school and everyone was in panic mode. Really felt let down :D
Then the Nisqually one in 01. That was a fun one due to how long it lasted. As soon as I felt it start I got the hell out of the house. Was having trouble standing up out in the yard and that was the first time I got to see the ground roll like waves on water. It was REALLY freaky to see it. Raining and cold, I'm standing there with just a pair of jeans on. Looking at the house waiting to see if I should go in. Neighbor pops out of her house to ask me "Did you feel that?". No I like standing in the rain and cold with no shoes and no shirt on :s0140:

Born and raised in California. Felt many earthquakes living there.

Moved to Washington 01/01/01 (really!).

On 02/28/01 we had the Nisqually quake.

Pfft. Up yours, Washington. What else ya got, punk?

Oh, right... Volcanoes. Sorry... I'll be good... I'll be good. :s0152:

... Good one in 65 but I was on the school bus and we did not even know anything happened till we got to school and everyone was in panic mode. ...
I thought it was 64, no matter. The story.

Was sitting on an ottoman at my best friend's house, waiting for him to be ready to walk to school. A Mayberry type scene (at least my memory); his dad's getting ready for work, his mom is getting his lunch box ready. Nice day out.

Suddenly, jump! Feels like the ottoman and me actually leave the ground, vertacle. We land, and I fall off flat on my back on the carpet. Then the shaking starts. Staring at the ceiling I see and feel the room move in like a wave. For a while. Things fall over. Nothing lands on me. Lasts... don't know how long.

Because I am laughing my head off. My memory is that it was the funnest thing that ever happened. The carpet was comfortable and I'm just being swayed around in this circus fun house room.

Maybe it's "reverse trauma" or some such psycobabble but having been in a few other shakes and even being old enough to know how dangerous it could be, I'm just not afraid when one happens. The Tacoma shake of a couple decades ago saw me standing like a fool, grinning and watching the windows bow in and out in the the office I was in. Took a couple seconds for "get under a desk dumbass" to kick in.

Last Edited:

I was San Diego for the Northridge quake. I had just stepped out of the bathroom and was headed back to bed when it hit. It was pretty clearly a bad one right from the start. It hit hard and just kept going on. I was holding onto a doorway for support while the whole room shook around me when I decided I might be better off outside. While I was pondering whether to put some clothes on first or just run out there naked (which was when it occurred to me that keys were going to be important), it just stopped. I put some clothes on, checked around for damage and then turned on Channel 5 - The LA station. This was 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning but I wasn't getting back to sleep even if I wanted to.

I thought it was 64, no matter. The story.

Was sitting on an ottoman at my best friend's house, waiting for him to be ready to walk to school. A Mayberry type scene (at least my memory); his dad's getting ready for work, his mom is getting his lunch box ready. Nice day out.

Suddenly, jump! Feels like the ottoman and me actually leave the ground, vertacle. We land, and I fall off flat on my back on the carpet. Then the shaking starts. Staring at the ceiling I see and feel the room move in like a wave. For a while. Things fall over. Nothing lands on me. Lasts... don't know how long.

Because I am laughing my head off. My memory is that it was the funnest thing that ever happened. The carpet was comfortable and I'm just being swayed around in this circus fun house room.

Maybe it's "reverse trauma" or some such psycobabble but having been in a few other shakes and even being old enough to know how dangerous it could be, I'm just not afraid when one happens. The Tacoma shake of a couple decades ago saw me standing like a fool, grinning and watching the windows bow in and out in the the office I was in. Took a couple seconds for "get under a desk dumbass" to kick in.
Could be 64, it was a LONG time ago and all :D
When you are a kid stuff like that is all fun. I have no doubt the driver had to have known/ felt, what was going on but we were so busy being kids on the way none of us knew anything had happened. When we got to school it was a real let down. The kids mostly thought it was great fun as the teachers were still in panic mode. I guess when it hit kids were playing and thought like you it was fun. Teachers were running around yelling. Some telling kids to get away from the building while others were yelling at kids to get in the building.:s0140:
I just felt cheated that I missed it all. Later my Dad told me my Mom was sure what she felt was the propane tank for the house was blowing up so she ran to the front door of the house to try to run out and it would not open. She was all kinds of upset with him many hours later about the door. Meanwhile in running to that door that would not open she had run right past the door in the kitchen, where she was standing when it hit, which did still work fine. :confused:
Meanwhile after they got us all into the school we all had to practice the stick your head under your desk routine several times that day. Even as a kid I was left thinking "how the hell is this going to help me?"

Yea, you really don't want to challenge Oregon/Washington on their earthquakes. The PNW has a fault line (The Cascadia Subduction Zone) that makes the San Andreas look like a child.

If you've never read this article in The New Yorker, you should. It's long but it is equal parts fascinating and terrifying. :)

Yea, you really don't want to challenge Oregon/Washington on their earthquakes. The PNW has a fault line (The Cascadia Subduction Zone) that makes the San Andreas look like a child.

If you've never read this article in The New Yorker, you should. It's long but it is equal parts fascinating and terrifying. :)

I have all my life been told one day we will see a "good one" here. Its why I have always kept a supply of "stuff" to last us at least a couple weeks to hold us till the FEMA boys get here. Now of course if the entire house falls down we will have to make due best we can. If it does not we will be fine.Many will find out the hard way it takes a little while for the Gov people to get in and help.

I have all my life been told one day we will see a "good one" here. Its why I have always kept a supply of "stuff" to last us at least a couple weeks to hold us till the FEMA boys get here. Now of course if the entire house falls down we will have to make due best we can. If it does not we will be fine.Many will find out the hard way it takes a little while for the Gov people to get in and help.
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." :rolleyes:

I was San Diego for the Northridge quake. I had just stepped out of the bathroom and was headed back to bed when it hit. It was pretty clearly a bad one right from the start. It hit hard and just kept going on. I was holding onto a doorway for support while the whole room shook around me when I decided I might be better off outside. While I was pondering whether to put some clothes on first or just run out there naked (which was when it occurred to me that keys were going to be important), it just stopped. I put some clothes on, checked around for damage and then turned on Channel 5 - The LA station. This was 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning but I wasn't getting back to sleep even if I wanted to.

I've never been able to find a list of victims' names to verify, but my sister told me she thinks that one of her friends from high school was killed in the Northridge quake. (eta: just found a partial list of names, but didn't see hers, so still unsure.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top