JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If that was a .45 out of a 1911, it would have only taken one to the left hand and he'd be dedder than a door hinge.

That's what my mags are loaded with, I've also experimented with 90g loads out of a 11.5 inch as well. 77g Mk262 is a stout load with disproportionate caliber to wound channels, there is no better documented load for 5.56 self defense loads against unarmored flesh.
Paul Harrel addressed this on one of his videos

If that was a .45 out of a 1911, it would have only taken one to the left hand and he'd be dedder than a door hinge.
I think the major disconnect about the age old question of the best defensive round could be attributed to the lack of everyone being drugged up "back in the day". People make fun of oldsters saying 45ACP is the best, possibly because it really did only take a round or two to stop the threat back in the day. Now days, there are so many people hopped up on readily available prescription drugs and cheap street drugs that can make a person fight much further. True, a 9mm may have less energy than something bigger but as always, placement has always been key. 50 years back, the average Joe was a much better shot than the average person of today due to regular exposure to practice. All that being said, I'll stick with a round or two of we'll placed 12ga buck over a pistol any day.

I think the major disconnect about the age old question of the best defensive round could be attributed to the lack of everyone being drugged up "back in the day". People make fun of oldsters saying 45ACP is the best, possibly because it really did only take a round or two to stop the threat back in the day. Now days, there are so many people hopped up on readily available prescription drugs and cheap street drugs that can make a person fight much further. True, a 9mm may have less energy than something bigger but as always, placement has always been key. 50 years back, the average Joe was a much better shot than the average person of today due to regular exposure to practice. All that being said, I'll stick with a round or two of we'll placed 12ga buck over a pistol any day.
Do you mean like Philippine Moros hopped up on drugs, 1899 to 1902? These were the reason for the .45 ACP in the first place!

I have hammered that with the Wife. Telling her if she is home and someone gets in, shoot and keep shooting until they go down and stay down. It's why her bedside gun holds 18 rounds. The rifle 33 rounds. Have told her she does not have to exactly mag dump but, fire as fast as she can hit and not stop firing if the person is still standing there. That after they go down do NOT go near them, get away, call 911, let the people who show up "check on them".

.45 isn't a sure thing, either.

Surely everyone here knows about the story of Officer Tim Gramins. The cop that now carries 145 rounds of ammo all because of a criminal that soaked up 14 rounds of .45ACP out of Officer Gramins' Glock, but didn't go down until the final headshot got him. The criminal was apparently sober, as well.

This guy yesterday in Portland was shot by police and after that he was "uncooperative" so they called in the negotiation and crisis team.

He set a car on fire and was armed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top