JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I paid double that years ago when the waiting period from keltec was indefinite for those.

It sounds like some dealer gave you a snow job if they told you that. When I bought my first one I got the same job from a dealer here. Wife had ordered one for me unbeknownst to me. Dealer told her a few weeks and took half the money. After a long time she told me and I went to talk to him. He started in with how Kel-Tec treated the dealers poorly and such. Until I told him KT did not sell to dealers. He then got red faced and refunded the wife's money. Even when these were "harder to find" there was no shortage. Anyone could buy one any day they wanted. You had to be willing to pay a premium though. The bigger dealers always got the shipments first. So you had to pay a little more + the shipping to your FFL+ the transfer then. It was not till this last panic that they almost went totally away. Even then they were for sale of course, just had to be willing to really pay, like 3 times the "normal" price. Dealers that were telling people the waiting was on KT were just BSing people. It meant they were not a large enough volume to get them from the distributor.

Sold mine for close to double that - the gun shot great but it had many detractors I didn't care for.

What are the detractors you didn't care for? I picked up Gen 2 9mm (Glock mags) this summer and have only put 250 rounds through it so far. So far, I don't like the lack of purchase area on the charging handle and will be upgrading that to something larger. Secondly, the trigger although "good enough," could be better. Lastly, the sights are serviceable for the carbine's intended purpose, but could be improved to improve accuracy.

That said, I remember when Kel Tec's ads for the Sub2000 started running in the gun magazines in the 90's, when I was still in high school. My dad is not a gun guy, but even he was impressed back then by the idea of a folding carbine.

What are the detractors you didn't care for? I picked up Gen 2 9mm (Glock mags) this summer and have only put 250 rounds through it so far. So far, I don't like the lack of purchase area on the charging handle and will be upgrading that to something larger. Secondly, the trigger although "good enough," could be better. Lastly, the sights are serviceable for the carbine's intended purpose, but could be improved to improve accuracy.

That said, I remember when Kel Tec's ads for the Sub2000 started running in the gun magazines in the 90's, when I was still in high school. My dad is not a gun guy, but even he was impressed back then by the idea of a folding carbine.

NO gun works for everyone. No matter how much you or I love something it's going to find some who will not like it. I mean that's just the way things are. When I bought the first one I wanted something for indoor range and home, bought a .40 Liked it so much I bought one in 9mm for Wife. She was not pleased for a few reasons. 1 she is a south paw and the ejection being so close to her face was distracting. 2 was recoil. Even in 9mm it was more than she liked due to how short and light these are. I was not going to keep the 9 until I saw the ballistics. With +P ammo the damn little gun was sending out 124gr rounds at .357 4inch wheel gun power. That made me see it in a whole new light so it stayed.
3d thing I wanted to do something about was optics. Sights that came on them were pretty poor. (Gen II fixed this)This was fixable of course but not cheap. Also waned to be able to use optics like a Red Dot. Again doable but to do well expensive. I found a low cost work around that did prove it would work but I still did not like it. Everything with every gun is some kind of trade off. I have now found a PCC I actually like better for many reasons and own a few of then too. I still keep my KT's mainly for the fold. I use one of them as a car gun. It can be hidden well enough so it will not be found. If needed it can be in action in seconds. I have I am sure been responsible for several more being sold as many who have tried mine wanted one bad. Nothing works for everyone though, which is good. That is why we have so many choices now. :)

Barrel epoxied in place
Extreme difficulty with disassembly/reassembly.
Thin, weak front sight and plastic screws
Overall 'cheap', toylike appearance and feel.

I'll admit gen 2 is much better.

I did not know this about the barrel. Crazy!
I agree on the "cheap, toylike" description. The gun is unique and fun, but I think it's more of a novelty or a niche gun.

I'll admit that mine is just a range toy and I've taken it out a few times for jackrabbits. I didn't score on any jacks, but it was fun the same.

I did not know this about the barrel. Crazy!
I agree on the "cheap, toylike" description. The gun is unique and fun, but I think it's more of a novelty or a niche gun.

I'll admit that mine is just a range toy and I've taken it out a few times for jackrabbits. I didn't score on any jacks, but it was fun the same.

All that polymer was a way to make a rather expensive rifle far cheaper. When they came out with the original design it was almost all Aluminum alloys. Was nice but they cost the same as a decent AR went for. Then they came out with the Sub2000 design and price was now 1/3 what it had been. Sales took off from that point on.
My second one, a 9mm, was also originally just bought as a range fun gun. After Wife did not like it I was going to dump it until I stumbled onto the ballistics. The better 9mm ammo moves out of a rifle barrel at the same speed as a .357 does out of a 4 inch tube. Means that little rifle would be a wicked home gun.

I'm back. I think it's a gen 1. Glock mag model. MidwayUSA has the 33 rounders for $25 each at the moment so I have a handful coming. Being my last 9 carbine was an 80 year old SUOMI this is a step up. What's the difference between the 1 and 2 gens?

It sounds like some dealer gave you a snow job if they told you that. When I bought my first one I got the same job from a dealer here. Wife had ordered one for me unbeknownst to me. Dealer told her a few weeks and took half the money. After a long time she told me and I went to talk to him. He started in with how Kel-Tec treated the dealers poorly and such. Until I told him KT did not sell to dealers. He then got red faced and refunded the wife's money. Even when these were "harder to find" there was no shortage. Anyone could buy one any day they wanted. You had to be willing to pay a premium though. The bigger dealers always got the shipments first. So you had to pay a little more + the shipping to your FFL+ the transfer then. It was not till this last panic that they almost went totally away. Even then they were for sale of course, just had to be willing to really pay, like 3 times the "normal" price. Dealers that were telling people the waiting was on KT were just BSing people. It meant they were not a large enough volume to get them from the distributor.
Bought from a private party after 2 dealers asked if I wanted to get on the list.

I'm back. I think it's a gen 1. Glock mag model. MidwayUSA has the 33 rounders for $25 each at the moment so I have a handful coming. Being my last 9 carbine was an 80 year old SUOMI this is a step up. What's the difference between the 1 and 2 gens?
Palmetto State Armory has a good sale on the clear ETS 31(?) round Glock magazines plus ammo. Well, they did yesterday. Who can keep up with their sales?

Don't worry I fell off the wagon on saturday. It's going to be hard to keep from falling off again.

What's the difference between the 1 and 2 gens?
Improved sights with options for others, barrel pinned and a more ergonomic and sturdy stock for a couple anyway. I really like the concept of a small 9mm carbine but after taking my gen 1 apart for a complete cleaning it really turned me off of Kel Tec. I would pay more for one if it were made by a company with more 'verve' and out of something other than plastic - heck I could live with alloy but I cant stand the ersatz plastic on guns! Even a non-folding style as long as it was as small and trim as a Sub 2K would be fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top