JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgive me Joe, but it's really called duct tape and it's silver. Very useful for sure. Nearly as useful as the black and orange stuff. :s0121:

Maybe it's where or with whom you grew up. I still call all soda pop Cokes and most southerners I know still call it duck tape (and yes, part of my many jobs was HVAC and I am aware the proper term is duct when used in that application - or maybe any for that matter 'and it comes in different colors depending on what your using it for - and I'm not talking about designer patterns and stuff for crafts').

It's my understanding from the stories I've been told that the GI's in Nam started calling it duck tape because it was used to waterproof just about anything (ammo cans originally but then boots and whatever else needed fixing).

Been up here in the PNW for about 28 years now and there are just some things I refuse to integrate because it's PC up here:D:p.

My born and raised here wife still cringes when I use the horn for more then a micro second lolz.

Found this and am only posting it for information, not to start a great debate about what's right or wrong.

Duct tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape)
Duct tape or duck tape is cloth- or scrim-backed pressure-sensitive tape - often coated with polyethylene. There are a variety of constructions using different backings and adhesives. One variation is gaffer tape - designed to be cleanly removed, unlike standard duct tape. Another variation is heat-resistant duct tape useful for sealing heating, ventilation and air-conditioning ducts, produced because standard duct tape fails quickly when used on heating ducts. Duct tape is generally gray or black but also available in other colors.

During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on some ammunition cases during that period.[1]
:s0005:

Duck tape ( as originally created) was used by the U.S. Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, and Marines to seal, patch, or otherwise protect things from the abuses of combat! I could list the fixes it was used for but that would make this thread 100 pages long, and that's just WW-2!!! It wasn't until after the war that the type and name was changed to reflect the growing need to seal HVAC systems that were just starting to be made and installed in homes and buildings! From the earlest Swamp coolers ( with high humidity) to the more common A/C units we now have, Duct tape has been used, a new use of a war time indispensable item to every day use after!

I have been soundly educated! Duck tape it is then. Except when I use it for HVAC duct work. I remember the forest green tape we used in the Army back then, and it was indeed used for everything. So much so the maintenance guys would keep it under lock and key. Never knew it by anything other than "green tape."

Cheers brothers :s0005:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top