JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
External safety.

53AB3230-9C25-4347-94C9-F753177D7869.jpeg

I prefer handguns with manual safeties and didn't feel disrespected. But then again, I don't "rely" on them to keep me safe. That's my job.

My post wasn't meant to be disrespectful to anyone in particular. Just my personal opinions. You know, gun DISCUSSION forum and all. :D

Adding manual safeties to the S&W revolver lineup and Marlin lever guns; a choice no one should be in favor of. On a 1911 or similar; wouldn't have it any other way. Striker fired like the Sig line where you can get either? Meh.

1) "Manual safeties are nothing more than mental masturbation. That's why so many firearms manufacturers stopped adding them. They offer good feelz....that's about it."
If someone needs the warm and fuzzy switch to make sure they don't ND, then they probably need a new hobby.
When Saint John Moses introduced his masterpiece he considered the grip safety to be adequate, i.e. the intended carry condition was Condition 0. Of course that was before lawyers decided that everything constituted a tort and the manufacturers and everybody in the supply chain were responsible for the stupidity &/or malice of the ultimate user.

2) "That's why Glocks are better than 1911s."
If Glocks are still the benchmark against which everything else is compared after 110 years of use that statement can be evaluated for accuracy.

3) None of the guns mentioned without manual safties are SA. They are krunchentickers, DA, or have a mushy pull for every shot. I prefer a manual safety on a SA auto that's going to be carried in Cond.1.

1) "Manual safeties are nothing more than mental masturbation. That's why so many firearms manufacturers stopped adding them. They offer good feelz....that's about it."
If someone needs the warm and fuzzy switch to make sure they don't ND, then they probably need a new hobby.
When Saint John Moses introduced his masterpiece he considered the grip safety to be adequate, i.e. the intended carry condition was Condition 0. Of course that was before lawyers decided that everything constituted a tort and the manufacturers and everybody in the supply chain were responsible for the stupidity &/or malice of the ultimate user.

2) "That's why Glocks are better than 1911s."
If Glocks are still the benchmark against which everything else is compared after 110 years of use that statement can be evaluated for accuracy.

3) None of the guns mentioned without manual safties are SA. They are krunchentickers, DA, or have a mushy pull for every shot. I prefer a manual safety on a SA auto that's going to be carried in Cond.1.
Sarcasm. I knew I would get someone. It only takes time.

Didn't read the whole thread.

'Handguns are wimpy so yeah, I'll always feel undergunned if I don't have my shotgun.

''Really hard to carry concealed, plus it's illegal, so I have to make do with what I have at the moment.

What's sarcastic about the truth? :D
About the glocks are better than 1911s. Both have their pros and cons. The pro of the Glock over the 1911 is it simply works. Every time. Lol. Love me a quality 1911 though.

My primary carry is a full size, 20+1 TP9SFX.

Body armor, hard or soft, your going to notice the energy of about 350lbs. Body armor only covers your core, plenty of other parts can be damaged if the threat has armor... above and below the armor...

It does not seem like we are to the point of needed to carry concealed an AR pistol chambered in Beowulf...

About the glocks are better than 1911s. Both have their pros and cons. The pro of the Glock over the 1911 is it simply works. Every time. Lol. Love me a quality 1911 though.
Same. I don't think one is better than the other. Just different. But I still think manual safeties are a feel good add-on and promote less-safe handling. They are also a mechanical device and can fail like any other mechanical device.

Same. I don't think one is better than the other. Just different. But I still think manual safeties are a feel good add-on and promote less-safe handling. They are also a mechanical device and can fail like any other mechanical device.
They both work. The High Power works. I shot a CZ 75 and couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Got me a bad case of CZ 75 love...

I have never had an issue with handguns without safeties! In fact, I think most of the arguments against safety-less handguns are often exaggerated!

That being said, the anti-safety crowd is just as ridiculous! The exaggeration of how hard it is to swipe a safety off (or how much time it wastes) is just as bad as the fear of "Glock Leg!" There are some very valid reasons why external safeties exist, aside from potentially stopping a careless user from having an ND!

Like many others have said, it's just a matter of training; safety or no safety, you will be perfectly served by either if you practice frequently with whatever setup you are running!
I appreciate your reply, those are interesting points. An external safety is still trash though :D.

I appreciate your reply, those are interesting points. An external safety is still trash though :D.
This is 100% a personal decision. Unless you live in a state that makes this decision for you.

I don't have striker fires or any pistol that doesn't have a external hammer. So I don't yet own a Glock. If external safetys are present I don't use them. I don't care for them. I don't like a trigger safety and got rid of my accutrigger on the Savage. I don't care for St. John's grip safety either. So I don't yet own a 1911 either.

Notice I said yet, not never. My mind, my judgement, my wants and desires are always subject to change. They will always be subjective because they're heavily weighted by my personal experience and knowledge gained. These kinds decisions are personal, and hopefully each of us gets to make them for themselves.

Whatever anyone decides, they own that decision and need to act accordingly. I won't judge anyone else's decision and only ask the same. Of course we always get to spout off about it on the internet. That 1A thing...

I would say that whatever anyone decides; practice, practice, aaaand practice some more. Remember too, familiarity breeds contempt, and you alone are responsible for your weapons and your weapon safety. So be 'Safety' conscious always. (Pun intended)

And of course as always "Keep yer bugger hook off the bang switch until it's bang time!

Rant Safety Re-engaged.

This is 100% a personal decision. Unless you live in a state that makes this decision for you.

I don't have striker fires or any pistol that doesn't have a external hammer. So I don't yet own a Glock. If external safetys are present I don't use them. I don't care for them. I don't like a trigger safety and got rid of my accutrigger on the Savage. I don't care for St. John's grip safety either. So I don't yet own a 1911 either.

Notice I said yet, not never. My mind, my judgement, my wants and desires are always subject to change. They will always be subjective because they're heavily weighted by my personal experience and knowledge gained. These kinds decisions are personal, and hopefully each of us gets to make them for themselves.

Whatever anyone decides, they own that decision and need to act accordingly. I won't judge anyone else's decision and only ask the same. Of course we always get to spout off about it on the internet. That 1A thing...

I would say that whatever anyone decides; practice, practice, aaaand practice some more. Remember too, familiarity breeds contempt, and you alone are responsible for your weapons and your weapon safety. So be 'Safety' conscious always. (Pun intended)

And of course as always "Keep yer bugger hook off the bang switch until it's bang time!

Rant Safety Re-engaged.
1619797180663.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews