JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some of you may know I have an ongoing "pen pal" relationship with my elected officials. I need some input from you regarding a recent email I received. Notwithstanding the claptrap espoused in the linked article I am interested in factual information. I am surprised the author did not include the "tumbling bullet" theory. Most of the disparity in my view is due to the energy and velocity comparison he attempts to make. Feel free to send PM if you do not want to create a "public" record.
~Whitney

>>>>>>>
Sir – I'd be interested in your thoughts on this one. I get that this guy is a radiologist and not necessarily a firearms expert but the on-the-ground view of "I treat plenty of people with handgun wounds and they survive and here's why" vs. "There's no way these kids were surviving with AR-15 wounds and here's why" is instructive, at least to me.

What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns

I don't know what's going to happen with the current version of this bill; I will tell you I don't have any problem aligning handgun/long gun purchase age at 21, but I'm interested in the broader question – what is it that is *different* about this class of firearms (and yes, I know the NRA says there is no identifiable class of firearms called assault weapons, but there clearly is an AR-15, for example) that might lead us to treat them differently.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I might suggest mentioning that the caliber of bullet that an AR typically fires is not even considered powerful enough to hunt with in this state, along with a side by side comparison next to like a 30 06 and a Browning BAR that's also semi auto but not "scary".

I might suggest mentioning that the caliber of bullet that an AR typically fires is not even considered powerful enough to hunt with in this state, along with a side by side comparison next to like a 30 06 and a Browning BAR that's also semi auto but not "scary".

I would suggest NOT. It will just add to the list of items they want banned. Sometimes, ignorance is to be encouraged.

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, with extensive bleeding. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?
From the article. It seems people don't realize that not everyone will get the same situation when being shot, and that where you get hit determines how bad the wound will be. I'm sure a .45 ACP hollow point in the same spot would be much worse.

Its how someone misinterprets the data. The obvious is the guns/bullets, performed exactly as they were intended. The government, time after time has not.

Government has it's role but it has overextended itself to be ineffective. In this Florida case alone the local & federal side has rolled a complete gutter ball. People died because at every step either some regulation blocked "common sense" action or people just suck at their job. In the 70s-80s we didn't have "weird" people in our neighborhoods. We knew exactly what someone's problem was and if was an issue, we took care of it without the police.

You live in a world where FACTS don't matter...
I believe this 100% true and it is probably the most nefarious behavior of the current point in history.

I think Rush said it well a few years ago when he said (paraphrased)...It is not the crime that matters, but rather the seriousness of the allegation.

I expect strong delusion of the masses to increase because (1) it is obviously running rampant and (2) we were told it would happen.

Well, since we knew and interacted with entire neighborhoods including people from surrounding blocks, through either church or school gatherings, we knew the difference between the guy with the mental issue and a dirt bag. We may have teased the kid with a mental issue but we also loved and protected them like family. The dirt bags knew how hard they could push because brothers, uncles, cousins would be called if it got too bad. Police take reports. Family takes care of business.

I would tell this doctor that the root problem is not the AR15, but the plethora of government and private agencies that failed to stop this kid many years ago! And......stop blaming the tool for the actions of a human.
I would also point out that the outcome(trauma to the perp) for an innocent civilian, defending his/her life, is a satisfactory one indeed.
Like most people that want to blame guns and ammo for an incident, they only look at it from one side....that of the "wounded" victim. The other side is the dead perp and the victim lives to tell about it.
I promote gun ownership in the hands of civilians and the eradication of vermin criminals.

Last Edited:
Sshhh

No amount of factual information will overcome the hysterical reaction so many people have to firearms, and educating those people about the differences in calibers will only give them a larger ban list.

Spot on; many of these folks with "hysterical reactions" are unbalanced people to begin with and do not have a rationale state of mind; they do not process facts but are hyperemotional and irrational. It seems to me it is irrational to try to reason with an irrational person. Best to distance yourself and let them "extinguish" them self by letting them vet and not engaging them. Just my take on this; lots of these folks around Pdx and similar cities.

I would point out the consistent complaints of our Mil Boots who have been forced to use the weapon all these years, point out the dismal performance against our enemies and the lack of understanding that the gov insists on maintaining with this system!
Point out that when groups are equippd with the larger 7.62X51 things change in a solders favor considerably!

I would tell this doctor that the root problem is not the AR15, but the plethora of government and private agencies that failed to stop this kid many years ago! And......stop blaming the tool for the actions of a human.
I would also point out that the outcome(trauma to the perp) for an innocent civilian, defending his/her life, is a satisfactory one indeed.
Like most people that want to blame guns and ammo for an incident, they only look at it from one side....that of the "wounded" victim. The other side is the dead perp and the victim lives to tell about it.
I promote gun ownership in the hands of civilians and the eradication of vermin criminals.
Great point. ask this Dr. if a Dr killed someone (medical malpractice), can the Dr blame the scalpel? Or would that Dr be responsible.

Screenshot_2018-03-02-08-35-35-1.png A woman might look at it this way and say
"It's not how much lead you shoot, it's the size of your gun barrel that really matters":rolleyes::p:cool:

Last Edited:
I would point out the consistent complaints of our Mil Boots who have been forced to use the weapon all these years, point out the dismal performance against our enemies and the lack of understanding that the gov insists on maintaining with this system!
Point out that when groups are equippd with the larger 7.62X51 things change in a solders favor considerably!
Ditto!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads