JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Feds giving AZ to Mexico? is that what you read?

Point 1
Arizona is 113,998 sq miles x 640 sq acres per mile = 72,958,720 acres, the area in question is 3500 acres, a far cry from 73 million acres.

Point 2
Nothing is being given to Mexico, it is not even being closed. The government in all it's conspiracy has issued a warning that, surprise, it is an unsafe area because of drug trafficking into the US from Mexico.

Point 3
There is no point. Drawing conclusions that are false helps no one, truth and facts are king, this is tinfoil hat stuff.

Well, a portion is closed, until further notice:
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
has closed a portion of the Buenos
Aires National Wildlife Refuge
south of the Garcia Road to public
use, under authority found in 8
RM 13.5 and 50 CFR 25.21(e)
effective October 3, 2006. Garcia
Road runs east/west parallel to
the international boundary about
one mile north of the line. This
area is about 3500 acres in size.
Our concern for public safety is
paramount.
The situation in this zone has
reached a point where continued
public use of the area is not prudent.
The Buenos Aires National Wildlife
Refuge has been adversely affected
by border-related activities. The
international border with Mexico has
also become increasingly violent.
Assaults on law enforcement officers
and violence against migrants have
escalated. Violence on the Refuge
associated with smugglers and
border bandits has been welldocumented.
Many of these activities
are concentrated at, or near, the
border. The concentration of illegal
activity, surveillance and law
enforcement interdictions make
these zones dangerous.
Closure is in effect until further
notice.

Mitch Ellis
Buenos Aires NWR
Refuge Manager

And its a damn shame that a National Wildlife Refuge can't be kept open.
Especially when you consider that it's federal property within Arizona's boundary.
I hope this country wakes up soon.

Agreed, it shouldn't be closed, but who wants to get shot first by the Coyotes or Drug Runners? .... :(

let the Army take over that area. Maybe some heavy duty gunnery/rocket/tank testing. Post the area and let the drug runners in then open fire.
At some point the US gov't is going to have to wake up and start doing something, you know, like enforcing the laws!

Parts of AZ has already been closed to Americans for quite some time.

I went camping at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument about 3 years ago, and there were a lot of trails that were "closed" to Americans because of drug runners. I actually hiked past where I wasn't suppose to, and seen a group of 4 or 5 mexicans in dark clothes taking a break in the shade. I turned around and got the **** away from there, and when I got back to the trailhead where I parked, there was a border patrol truck coming down the road, so I flagged him down and told him about it.

I rode my bike into Mexico later that night, and got pulled over by a different border guard. I ended up talking to him for about half an hour, and he told me that the border patrol doesn't go anywhere near the water tank, so that the illegals won't be scared to go and get water.

Personally, I think if we're going to pay the border patrol to patrol the border, and almost all of the illegals go near/to the water tank, then that's where they need to be patrolling, even if that causes some of them to avoid it and die of thirst. In fact, the more that die of thirst, the better as far as I'm concerned.

It's a real shame to go camping in your own country in an area that was set aside for it's natural beauty, having to listen to helicopters flying overhead spotlighting the desert, being watched through binoculars by border guards when you're out hiking, and having to worry about running into drug runners from a different country that the government is doing very little to stop.

The amount of trash and excrement in the desert down there is shocking too. Lots of empty water jugs, and Bimbo (the mexican equivalent of Hostess) pastry wrappers.

I actually agree with the OP. To the extent we allow suspected illegal immigrants (drug lords) to encroach/occupy/use U.S. soil, we have given part of our protected freedom to use our land by foreigners. We can control (or at least think we can) a country the size of Iraq and Afghanistan, but do not have the resources at the state or local level to ward off these invaders.

I don't care if it is one foot of land or the whole state.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/16/closes-park-land-mexico-border-americans/

Uptick in Violence Forces Closing of Parkland Along Mexico Border to Americans

Published June 16, 2010
| FOXNews.com

Print Email Share Comments (1686) Text Size

About 3,500 acres of southern Arizona have been closed off to U.S. citizens due to increased violence at the U.S.-Mexico border, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The closed off area includes part of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge that stretches along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu told Fox News that violence against law enforcement officers and U.S. citizens has increased in the past four months, forcing officers on an 80 mile stretch of Arizona land north of the Mexico border off-limits to Americans.

The refuge had been adversely affected by the increase in drug smugglers, illegal activity and surveillance, which made it dangerous for Americans to visit.

"The situation in this zone has reached a point where continued public use of the area is not prudent," said refuge manager Mitch Ellis.

“It’s literally out of control,” said Babeu. “We stood with Senator McCain and literally demanded support for 3,000 soldiers to be deployed to Arizona to get this under control and finally secure our border with Mexico. “

U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials have warned visitors in Arizona to beware of heavily armed drug smugglers and human traffickers.

“We need support from the federal government. It’s their job to secure the border and they haven’t done it,” said Babeu. “In fact, President Obama suspended the construction of the fence and it’s just simply outrageous.”

Signs have been posted warning Americans not to cross into the closed off territory south of Interstate 8. Babeu said the signs are not enough – he said Arizona needs more resources to help scale back the violence caused by the drug cartels.

“We need action. It’s shameful that we, as the most powerful nation on Earth, … can’t even secure our own border and protect our own families.”

Print Email Share Comments (1686) Text Size

I'm starting to wonder if I should go secure my property in Cochise county. I've never seen it before....been doing nothing but paying taxes on it. Maybe it's time for a change.

If I wasnt up here in washington then Id be patrolling the border myself if i could.

This is bullsh*t. these guys are supposed to be fighting for our country but nothing is being enforced?

Seems like its time for the PEOPLE to start taking matters into our own hands and stop letting our country be invaded.

I imagine a few troops of civilians from NWFA's best could do a much better job than whats being done now

The dotgov will continue to allow lawlessness and infiltration by these degenerates until they can declare conditions have reached "critical mass." That will justify them stepping in and stomping out the freedoms that we have enjoyed thus far.
All in the name of the greater good. A pound of cure is more valuable to their agenda than an ounce of prevention.
A wise person on this board (and others) predicted military intervention in the Southwest in the not-so-distant-future. At the time I thought he was mistaken. I have since revised my assessment.
I believe it will make what happened in post Katrina N.O. a mere "blip" in terms of rights infringement.

Yes, some will ask if I'm wearing my foil hat,...
If you can think of a better reason for the dotgov to continually ignore these conditions that are growing daily, go for it!
It makes no sense in a (formerly) civilized society, to ignore it's greatest threat. Other than for the purpose of seizing power.

I was on the project that built the fence in that area and lived in Ajo, Az which is inside that exclusion zone. The only people who live in that area are either retired miner's (Ajo was a mining town), drug runners, or border patrol personnel.

It was a little eery living there, since I had my work truck outside my house, and everyone knew who we were and what we were doing.

Regardless if it's closed or not, I sure as heck would never camp out there. There is a lot of activity in that area and they wouldnt think twice about slitting your throat to get your stuff so they can make it past the various checkpoints they have set up out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top