JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
picked up a box yesterday and shot a few rnds today.first few went ok then had a couple of shots that made smoke come out from around the stock and trigger,also had some powder residue hit me in the face upon ejection(semi auto marlin rifle).is this normal,should i contact fedral about this,and most importantly should i have my rifle checked for damage.to be honest im a little scared to fire any more of these rounds.PLEASE SOUND OFF ON THIS IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN.:huh:

picked up a box yesterday and shot a few rnds today.first few went ok then had a couple of shots that made smoke come out from around the stock and trigger,also had some powder residue hit me in the face upon ejection(semi auto marlin rifle).is this normal,should i contact fedral about this,and most importantly should i have my rifle checked for damage.to be honest im a little scared to fire any more of these rounds.PLEASE SOUND OFF ON THIS IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN.:huh:

Have you sighted down your barrel to make sure it's clear and clean?

I haven't used the 550 rnd bulk packs, only the 525 value packs. I don't know if there is a difference in what they put in there...

I have had consistently good results with the bulk 525 with an occasional thick rim that needs to be turned in order to ignite.

Definately clean your gun and barrel for obstructions, and then try again possibly with a different brand of ammo, and then try a few more of the Federal. It might just be a bad round.

But be careful....

My Remington Nylon 66 has never failed with any ammo. I've had two of them going back to the mid 70's. I just buy what's available and I think I put 100,000 rounds through the first 66. That was mostly hunting ground squirrels in E. Oregon when I lived there. I basically wore out the first gun and just recently switched to the second one which I saved "as new."

I'm always perplexed when guns don't like a certain ammo, although I know it's true. I wouldn't want such a gun myself.

I don't, of course, know if that's the case here for you. I'd more suspect the gun based on your description.

$.02

Sounds to me like you've got a squib load. Clear your barrel of the bullet that didn't make it out using a cleaning rod. Clean the gun and proceed with caution. It was likely just the one round in the pack. I reload and that's happened to me before. I have no idea what I did wrong but when I pulled the trigger all I got was puff, hiss, smoke everywhere. All the other rounds i loaded were just fine.

If I read correctly, I thought he had a couple of consecutive rounds do that. That would concern me about the gun. The first thing I'd do is look down that barrel.

$.02

in response i fired several after that and they shot just fine.my rifle is a marlin glenfield mod. 75c about 20 or so yrs old have never had any problems with it.is it possible some shells may contain too much powder.as well i clean the guns after every shooting session when i cleaned it this time there was alot of left over powder reisidue.

in response i fired several after that and they shot just fine.my rifle is a marlin glenfield mod. 75c about 20 or so yrs old have never had any problems with it.is it possible some shells may contain too much powder.

too much??? More likely it's a bad primer compound in some of them or bad powder or split cases or something like that. To much powder would make for a hotter round which is not what you described.

Yes! Or not enough.

I've had Federal American Eagle rounds that sounded like they didn't have any powder in them and others were normal and then still others had a punch to them and a fireball out the front. I think I had a bad batch...I was thinking of setting fire to the rest of them I was that dissapointed with them.

Sometimes QC isn't quite what it should be.

most bulk/cheap ammo I"ve used in .22's over the years are very inconsistant as to the 'power' of each shell,based on sound and feel.Sounds like you had a bad round or two,which happens.If it were mine I"d shoot some more of it,making sure each round exits the barrel for a while.
I jusst wish CCI minmags were'nt so danged spendy,they shoot NICE.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top