JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I knew better but couldn't resist. I saw a not-so-horrible price for some Norma ammo at the AmmoShopOnline.com two weeks ago and surprise-surprise the "heavy" FedEx box was finally delivered today split open, re-taped (three different types of tape), and with three of the ten boxes of ammo gone :mad:

AmmoShopOnline has a "so sorry, can't help you" clause in their terms once their ammo products hit the FedEx tracking system. Ive had two UPS guys comment on my "heavy boxes" from sporting good stores before so it seems to be common knowledge among the delivery crews what's in our small but weighty boxes.

This is the third time (2 UPS and 1 FedEx) at two different homes (WA & OR) the last decade where the "tamper proof" taped case shows up but is missing a few ammo boxes! Is it theft or just incompetent delivery systems? :rolleyes:

So now, it's off to the local FedEx store with the evidence to try and get some relief. Wish me luck.

Anyone else have a missing ammo story to share?

I knew better but couldn't resist. I saw a not-so-horrible price for some Norma ammo at the AmmoShopOnline.com two weeks ago and surprise-surprise the "heavy" FedEx box was finally delivered today split open, re-taped (three different types of tape), and with three of the ten boxes of ammo gone :mad:

AmmoShopOnline has a "so sorry, can't help you" clause in their terms once their ammo products hit the FedEx tracking system. Ive had two UPS guys comment on my "heavy boxes" from sporting good stores before so it seems to be common knowledge among the delivery crews what's in our small but weighty boxes.

This is the third time (2 UPS and 1 FedEx) at two different homes (WA & OR) the last decade where the "tamper proof" taped case shows up but is missing a few ammo boxes! Is it theft or just incompetent delivery systems? :rolleyes:

So now, it's off to the local FedEx store with the evidence to try and get some relief. Wish me luck.

Anyone else have a missing ammo story to share?
I've heard reports that they know what the boxes are and they're hitting them with the forklift to bust them open

Given they are required to put stickers on that basically scream "ammo inside" yeah they definitely know. So far I've been lucky and have several thousand rounds delivered over the last year without issue. But I tend to buy no more than 500 rounds at a time to cut down the weight, seems like they are going after the 1000 round cases and larger for the most part.

UPS Ammo inside sticker
ormd_ammunition_diamond.jpg

FedEx Ammo inside sticker

orm-d-sticker-jpg.jpg

Most of the good places I have been purchasing from have been double boxing and going more incognito on their boxes. Plain brown boxes. Plain packing tape without a bunch of logos. Abbreviated sender information that doesn't scream tactical. I noticed the change a while ago. Apparently firearms parts and ammo have been getting "lost" in the mail with increasing frequency since the rush started. Unfortunately ammo has to have the hazmat stickers...so the observant can still figure it out...

I had this happen with an expensive scope from MidWay. The box was left on my doorstep, half opened, with the contents missing. Even the picture UPS sent me of the confirmed delivery showed an opened box on my doorstep?
I was lucky, because when I sent midway the picture of the tampered with box on my doorstep, they sent me another scope. UPS lost it in transit and it was the last one Midway had, so MidWay thankfully, refunded my money.

No. Haven't had the problem of something missing from the box.

I have had deliveries that went to the wrong address though. Once with two computer monitors. Once with a gift that the USPS put the wrong tracking sticker on. A number of times I have gotten packages and mail for neighbors - which I dropped on their doorstep rather than bother with the delivery service.

The only problems I've had with ammo shipments were from MidwayUSA. They do not know how to pack ammo shipments properly, and just blame FedEx for their incompetent shipping department.

I guess it's a good thing I've only bought ammo 200 rnds at a time. Rifle ammo anyway. not such a big box. Handgun ammo get's bought in pieces. :s0155: Bullets, primers, powder.....

Cabelas is notorious for not shipping ammo properly. I received 500 rounds of 10mm from them. The boxes inside the carton were all damaged and ammo all over the place. The boxes looks as though they were dropped from two stories up. I call Cabelas on it, wanting to return the ammo. They told me that they could not take the ammo back, to just keep it. They sent me out 10 more boxes (packed more securely) for free. I got lucky on this one.

If you have ever seen the inside of a UPS or Fedex facility you'd understand.

Sadly, it comes down to the shipper. If they do not package it well enough, it's guaranteed to get destroyed in their systems.

I had one delivered to a neighbor's house.

I always request discreet packaging with no return address or company names.

'Course that label and the weight are good indications of what's inside.

I once ordered a dozen special coffee cups from the Roswell museum. The packing was seriously flawed, all cups totally destroyed. Manager replaced without question.

I haven't had the stomach to order any ammo online for over a year since prices skyrocketed (even if I could find any in stock). Prior to that, I've not had anything, whole or in part, stolen. And I've ordered from a variety of retailers.

But now - with the price of ammo in outer space, I could see where theft by folks in the shipping chain could be tempting. Depending on the ammo, you could easily stash three 50-round boxes in your overalls. At around $50 per box on the street, that's an easy and quick and low risk ripoff.

Just after the brady ban sunset-ed, UPS delivered a 1 cubic foot size box of Glock magazines and some assorted munitions and targets to the front stoop of an closed accounting office one block away, the next street up from my actual address, it was not there when I received the email saying delivered and I called customer service and they gave me the address per gps where it was dropped. UPS didn't make that right either, I had to file with CDNN, and forever after be charged for the signature service before they would send packages to me.

Edited, to clarify. The box was dropped at the same number as my house address, just on the following street, not to where the address on the package said it should go.

Last Edited:
Some time back mailed 45 ACP and some 10mm Brass to Seattle
Via USPS 2 day. Yea the brass rattled a bit. IT, the box came back a week and a half later.
Can't read address stickers on the To: address's I had written on 3 sides.
But the return labels were clear. Same person wrote both To and From.
and covered with clear tape. Only the 10mm brass was missing and
a corner was reinforced to fix the tear in the cardboard. Mysteries abound,

It is getting to the point where employees of common carries and USPS employees need to have back ground checks! Maybe better security cameras through out the whole process. Pitiful.

Amazon is putting cameras in their delivery vehicles, but it is more about liability than theft. UPS and I believe Amazon are now taking photos of the package when they put it on my porch. USPS - nope. Fedex is ok. Amazon is great about missing packages in my experience; the few times that has happened they just overnight a replacement. Ditto with returns - unless you get a reputation with them for returning stuff (I've only returned a few things).

I bought a case of 410 shells a few years ago. FedEx delivery looked like it was dropped off a house. Several damaged boxes and some missing shells. Never got a satisfactory solution from either the seller or shipper.

ammoshoponline gets horrible reviews.
After reading some of the reviews, it's possible that they never packed the correct amount of ammo.

Only ammo I've ordered in quite some time has been .50 BMG nicely secured in an ammo can. Pretty hard to bust that open "accidentally." One of these wasn't marked with any identifying info at all and my delivery guy was nice enough to leave it off the front porch. Got a delivery notification with picture. Pretty sure the seller broke the law, though

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top