Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Federal universal background check bill requires all sales go through dealer

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by BSG 75, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Sen. Chuck Schumer's "universal" background check bill S.374 would require all private sales go through a dealer so a background check could be performed, would require a record of the private sale, would not make exemptions for state license and permit holders such as concealed handgun licenses, and would make it a felony to loan a gun except at your home, at a shooting range, or to a licensed hunter during hunting season. It would also require the reporting of stolen or lost guns to the Federal government (US Attorney General) within 24 hours of discovery of the loss or theft.

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Letting my friend have a go with my new 9mm while out in the woods plinking, felony!
    Selling or giving away my old .22 p.o.s. revolver thats worth all of $25 without background fee, felony!
    Gun stolen while on vacation and used in crime before I know It's gone, felony!
    I'm beginning to think these guys don't want me to have a weapon at all.

3. ArgyleAdams

ArgyleAdams Portland, OR Active Member

Wierd. That might be worth looking into. :rollingeyes:

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Nothing new here, it's all been hashed over for the last few months now.

5. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

Would that make the Gun Buy Back events illegal?

How are they going to do background checks on the firearms they purchase?

Are Police Departments exempted from the law? They weren't in New York.

6. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

7. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

This is the first time the actual text of the bill has been released.

8. ConcealedCarrie

ConcealedCarrie People's Republic of Washington Member

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Unenforceable.

11. ConcealedCarrie

ConcealedCarrie People's Republic of Washington Member

The way I understand this new Colorado revelation is: You can't have anything you can modify either now. Like you can't buy a Glock mag because you could potentially put a grip extension on it. (Being a Glock Girl, I'm not familiar with what exists for other types of mags - but that's the example given in the piece.)

Here's the relevant text:

Colorado’s now nationally famous “high capacity” magazine ban could end up being much more widespread than anticipated according to lawmakers. During a late night debate in the Colorado Senate on Friday, Senator Kevin Lundberg (D-Berthoud) put forth the thesis that because the proposed ban includes magazines with more than 15 rounds, AND those which are “readily convertible” even those manufactured for smaller numbers are most likely to fall under the ban. Most magazines are designed to be pulled apart and cleaned and are therefore readily converted to a capacity above the proposed law.

Am I reading that right? Correct me if that's not the idea behind the link I posted, please.

Whether that was intentional or not [COUGH], that is more far-reaching even than many people originally realized.